“Cheap and good location, reliable wifi, don't expect more”

Bonita Ipanema Pousada & Hostel
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Cheap and good location, reliable wifi. I stayed for one night and that was all I needed. Staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is very simply - pressed toast - which was nice.
Bathrooms not especially clean and the shower was cold and sink clogged...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank LilachSD
There are newer reviews for Bonita Ipanema Pousada & Hostel

Reviewed February 19, 2014

The hostel is charming; everything in warm and nice colors. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The bathrooms, however, could do much better. Breakfast is really good (they're serving fresh cake every day). In addition they've got a bar with affordable prices.
It is only a five minutes walk from legendary Ipanema beach. The area around the hostel is safe and has loads of shopping and dining opportunities.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

This hostel is simple but relatively good in the category. Anyway, dont expect much. What is really good is the location that is in the heart of Ipanema - close to Posto 9. You can walk to Lebon ( about a 20-min walk).

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This place is in a great location for when the metro station finally opens, it's just a couple of hundred metres up the road.
It is nice, clean, basic and the staff are helpful.
It's walking distance to the beach, it has a pool (which was only cleaned on our last day so we didn't use it) and the breakfast is very good. Nice coffee (surprisingly rare in south america!).
The walls are quite thin, we had a private room on the top floor (private bathroom) and we could hear the groups of girls in the rooms either side getting in late and giggling. You get this in hostels yes, so not really a complaint.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank retired_backpacker
Reviewed September 15, 2013

It is a really nice hostel, with great location in Ipanema (very safe, walking distance to the best beaches and next to the restaurant area) and excellent service. Really beautiful garden inside and great atmosphere. Perfect value for money. However, keep in mind it is a hostel, therefore do not expect much from the rooms and the beds. Perfect for young people travelling alone, not recommended for families, older couples nor business trips.

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the first floor as it can be very noisy at nights when people are outside in the gard...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Location, staff & decoration are great and charming. Breakfast is abundant and delicious.
BUT, it's impossible to sleep at night (try sleeping during the day, much calmer). There's a rule saying no noise after 10pm, unfortunately even the staff members don't respect it (and then you see them sleep and/or relax in the patio during the day). So basically avoid the place if you intend to visit Rio and surroundings all day, and come back to a room where you can actually rest.
It's not what I would consider clean but it's ok, appart from the stains on towels and sewer smell in bathroom.
Another thing I found disappointing, the prices rise during special events in Rio (like soccer games etc.) eventhough there is construction work for the Metro line right in front of the entrance door, -and just so you know, in Brazil, road construction work is from 6am to 11pm, every day... as if there was not enough noise INside the Pousada...
Anyway, upon receiving their "rate your stay at Bonita Ipanema" form I wrote them an email about all that explaining my stay had not been nice considering how much I paid (because of Confederation Games)... they did not bother answering.
So, Unless you want to party all night, I suggest you find another place to stay at.
Oh, I almost forgot: the swimming pool is absolutely useless, dirty and so small, I never saw anyone in there in 5 days.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vio S
Bonita I, Gerente de relações com clientes at Bonita Ipanema Pousada & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2016

Hello, Vio S,

thank you for your comments. Feedbacks are always very important to our team and we are happy to know that you liked our localization, breakfast, decoration and staff. However we are deeply sorry that your experience was not fully satisfactory. We do pursue a high standard of service, but naturally there are differences, including infrastructure, from hotels to hostels.

We do settle many efforts in keeping the noise down, as our bar only works untill 10:00 PM. When other guests arrive during the night we do ask for silence, but guests that travel in group do make it slightly more difficult. Modifications are being planned for the common area to avoid such issues. Our hostel is not a night party backparker.

Cleanliness and hygiene are paramount concerns for us. Our installations, equipments, rooms and bathrooms are cleaning daily. Our bed linen is washed with a professional laundry company every check-out and often we exchange those that are not in good condition, which certainly happened to this he described. Our swimming pool is cleaned and treated on a daily basis. We regret the size it was not enough for your liking.

Prices, not only of the accommodations but all services and products from the city really suffer a significant increase in high season and global events periods. This is so because of the supply and demand law and it happens in all the cities of the world. We regret the fact that the cost-benefit of the services and products from Rio de Janeiro were not advantageous in your perception.

All images we publish on the website are an attempt to illustrate the reality of our infrastructure. We do not see any advantage to represent something more than we are because we want to be always in accordance with our customers expectations. That’s why we are keen to describe in detail our rooms and services. We are deeply sorry for its dissonance.

We hope that your concerns have been cleared up and that you give us another try on your next visit to Rio, so we can provide you with the carioca experience that you truly deserve.

Manuela Miró
Marketing | Bonita Ipanema

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Im genuinly surprised reading through some of the negative reviews this hostel has recieved on here, I dunno whatås wrong with some folks.. Unless youve burdened yourself with some ridiculous false sense of expectation I just dont get it..

The place has a great feel to it, its got a nice mellow atmosphere and is in a truly great location just a short walk from Ipanema beach, surrounded by restaurants, bars and eateries, not to mention everykind oif shop and facility one might need. The rooms are clean and well maintained daily, the beds are comfy and the bedding is clean and fresh. The offer a laundry service, have free wi+fi and staff that speak a variety of languages.

Overall I found the staff to be the best thing about this hostel even though I dont really have anything bad to say about my entire experience. I lost my phone charger, but dont blame anybody except myself for that as I left it in the outside communal area overnight. When I informed the staff they did a thorough search and were more than helpful in pointing me towards somewhere I can buy another, in the meantime they offered me use of their PC that they have there.
I felt welcome and comfortable throughout my stay there and wouldnt hesitate to go back.. To be honest for the amount you pay to stay there in such a warm and friendly environment with all the facilities I really dont understand how anybody could fault it.. I actually wonder if they are even charging enough for their rooms, its peanuts and in comparison to how cold and downright snooty some people can be in hotels where yoiu pay 10 times as much I cant honestly find fault.. I dunno how much the staff there get paid but Id be the first to say they All deserve a Massive pay rise, from the cool friendly dude and sweet receptionist staff, to the hard working and through cleaning staff and the caipri making Master behind the bar if I had a hostel Id employ this lot without a second thought, All of them. Theyre excellent, nice place overall but its them that really make the difference.

Thanks ! Hopefully see you again one day