“Very good, great location”

Arena Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #23 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed there for 2 days and we enjoyed. The hotel in general has a beautiful design and it's clean, bed and pillow comfortable, we had the sea view room. Staff was very friendly but then I speak Portuguese so I found them very helpful and polite. The food on the pool bar was very good and quite cheap, good big portions. There's not enough lounges by the pool so get there early if you want to sunbath. Copacabana beach is lovely and very cheap but it's not the best beach, that area is mid class so don't expect to see really nice restaurants, bars, shops etc Ipanema is a high class area with a lots of options to go out but it's quite expensive.
The breakfast wasn't great, not much option on hot food, the 2 days I ate there it was only eggs and sausage as hot food.
I still recommend this hotel as its lovely but one down side is the lift that's very slow and one was broken for the entire length of my stay, so many times I had to wait over 10min to get in the lift.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank CrissyModel

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I read the reviews from the different hotels that were on Av Atlantica, Rio de Janeiro and I chose this hotel. From the reviews, I knew the beds were hard. I could live with that. The bathroom sink emptied very slowly and the shower handle came off the wall. Again, I could live with these problems. We had a scary incident. It was midnight and my husband and I were asleep. We were sure we had the dead bolt on. My husband heard the door beep, open and a woman came into our room. He yelled at her and she said, "Mr. Johnson." and quickly left. We called the desk and the night clerk said it was house keeping. In the morning, we spoke with the day clerk and he said the woman was a tour guide who had a universal key. I chaperoned tour trip and I was never given a "univesal key." To enter the hotel floors, you needed your room key to start the elevator. You can decide what was going to take place in our hotel room.

1  Thank gemma1888
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a great, clean comfortable hotel right on Copacabana. The rooms were spotlessly clean and serviced daily, although they offer very few in room amenities. Such as, no tea and coffee in room, no iron or board at all throughout the whole hotel, no English channels on the TV and very poor Internet connection. Apart from that this hotel was faultless. The breakfast was simple but excellent, the entire hotel was spotlessly clean, the staff friendly and extremely helpful. The rooftop pool is tiny but sufficient and has plenty of tables and umbrellas and the view is, put simply amazing. Our room had side ocean view and was great for the amount of time we spent in the room. The wood look floors instead of carpet in the rooms was a bit of a pain as we tended to always bring sand back from the beach. The Internet is expensive BR$30 per day and has a really poor connection and speed and was very frustrating. I would stay here again as Rio is not known for quality hotel rooms. The location is excellent if you want Copacabana, although restaurants in the area are a bit of a tourist trap. Much better eating in Ipenima. There is a high street just 1 minute away with shops and money exchange and everything you could need. Overall 9 out of 10 for Rio.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night in Rio in late January. The hotel is well located on Copacabana. The service was great, the rooms cleans, and the buffet breakfast was excellent. I would agree that the pool offered a spectacular view of the beach.

My only complaint: the wifi was ridiculously overpriced.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Arena is only 45 minutes from Rio Airport. Upon arrival bell boys were very attentive and helpful. Due to security lifts can only be operated by room key cards which were a bit fiddly but no big deal. The rooms are quite large, clean and comfortable. Small plumbing problem was quickly resolved.
Breakfast was good with lots of fruit, breads, eggs, juices, etc. location is great only a couple of blocks from Copacobana Palace Hotel where a lunch or drink is a must. The Metro station is also walkable some 20 minutes or so if you fancy going to the lagoon area which is lovely with 5 excellent restaurants and cinema complex. Roof top small pool is cool but the views are brilliant. On a clear day you can see Christ The Redeemer statue. Overall excellent 4 night stay.

Room Tip: Choose 12th floor if available. Beach view rooms are fantastic if budget allows.
1  Thank Arjadeja
Reviewed January 29, 2013

If this is one of the best hotels in Rio, I am a little concerned for Rio. The hotel itself is nice, modern and clean although the rooms are similar in size to hotel rooms in Europe. Small. The bed was pretty uncomfortable and the only blanket in the room was kind of a gross shaggy little thing...I think it's a Brazil thing, but the staff weren't very friendly and absolutely no one speaks English. Not that we speak any Portuguese - because we don't - but we did try to make an effort to be overly friendly and couldn't so much as crack a smile out of these people. The rooftop bar is cool and the location is great if you plan to spend a lot of time on Copacabana beach. We didn't realize it until we got there, but we preferred being on Ipanema beach so next time we will stay there. One thing that was cool is that on Sunday there is an amazing farmers market just down the street from the hotel that we kind of wandered into and got some great Brazilian street food and fresh fruit.

Room Tip: Beach views of Copacabana are pricy but worth the upgrade.
1  Thank Melissa R
Aroldo S, Gerente de recepção at Arena Copacabana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Madam,

We thank you for using your time to give the impressions of your stay at The Arena Copacabana Hotel.
However, we lost the chance of receiving your complaints when you was still staying here, we are sure we could satisfy your needs promptly.
We are proud of our rooms and bed linen that is periodic renovated and kept in a good shape. At our front desk, we have clerks speaking fluently English and some of them Spanish and French.
We are sorry for the wrong impression of our Hotel.
The Arena Hotel is always working to maintain the History of welcoming and good service.
Once again we thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,

Aroldo Salles

Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was the best hotel I have stayed at in Rio so far. I have stayed at about 10 hotels and they have rated from poor to average (including Sheraton). The service is good and rooms are spacious and clean. The wifi is working satisfactory which is rare in South America.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business