“Great hotel in a sketchy neighborhood”
Review of Hotel Granada

Hotel Granada
Ranked #88 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our stay at the Hotel Granda was wonderful! Most of the hotel staff spoke English, breakfast was tasty and the room was comfortable and clean. However, I would not recommend staying at this hotel if you are a tourist due to the location. The neighborhood isn't very nice and we didn't feel safe walking around near it.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Kristen K
There are newer reviews for Hotel Granada

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed here from June 30 - July 3, 2013.

This hotel is located in Lapa. All the times I've been to Rio, this is the first time I visited Lapa. I liked it. It seemed more active than Coppacabana. This hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the first hotel I stayed at this trip. I had no problems walking around this area even at night. The lastest I stayed out was about 22:00. So maybe after that time it might be rougher?

I guess the renovations must be done because I didn't hear any construction going on and the room I got looked like a brand new room. Modern, decent size and clean. Of the three hotels I stayed at this trip, I liked this one the best even though I had to walk a little further to Rio Branco where my friend works.

Staff was great. All the ones I spoke with, spoke English. Many restaurants near-by but not sure if these restaurant are open during the weekend.

I had to borrow an adaptor here also. This hotel used a three round prong plug-in. The wifi worked great here.
Also, I was a littled worried about the hot water issued I read about earlier. No problem in my room. Hot water for the shower was wonderful.

This hotel had the best breakfast of the three. Wasn't a big spread, but decent, and did have hot food.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank gmon
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights at Granada Hotel in June, 2013. The room is good, was renovated and decoration is new. Breakfast is well served, with many options. Easy to move to downtown atractions and you have free internet on in your room.

Bathroom is so tiny that you can hurt yourself if you do not take a lot of care. Location is OK if you do not mind being far from the beach. It is located in downtown, close to Lapa bars. I walked 2 blocks far from hotel at night and did not think it is safe. During the day, it is ok as there many people working on the area. In my second night, it was really noise because the acoustic of the room is not that good and I could hear people singing samba in the restaurant located across the street.

Overall, I would say it is good for people doing business in downtown and that do not worry about being in the hotel room at night, because it is not safe to walk around.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank mendesas
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Me and my friend stayed at this hotel for 3 days. Close to many restaurants and bars. Safe location as Police Station is just nearby. The place is nice and clean. We had a comfy stay and were very satisfied. Breakfast is ok. Staff were accommodating and the best part is they go extra mile to remind you to be extra careful. An example of that is when me and my friend is already across the road, the hotel staff went out of the hotel and came to us just to remind my friend to be careful of his DSLR Camera. Fantastic Customer Service (:

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank iconzef
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I checked inn at this hotel for 2 times already.
The hotel is good in a whole, but at the 2nd time the staff wasn't so nice as they were in the 1st time, and one problem that happened everytime was that the battery in the card key stuff was discharged, so i had to keep asking people to go come all the way up with me so they could open the door with some device they had...
but

Room Tip: One where the battery is charged, make sure to ask about that!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 661S_rgio_F661
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here in February for the carnival and although sceptical of building works mentioned here and on my booking email there were no disruptions although this may have been because it was carnival. The hotel was an oasis from the madness outside.....cool marble floors, air con, clean bright spacious rooms, excellent breakfast included eggs, fruit, fish juices etc. the hotel staff were really helpful and organised us taxis, carnival tickets to the sambadrome. There is a bus stop outside he hotel which takes you to copacobana beach for just under 3 reales each and was very safe. Great location for visiting Lapa, the cathedral and the carnival. We walked to the sambadrome from the hotel. My only gripe was the price, but this was purely because it was carnival time when prices are high everywhere ( we paid £146 pn). We had no issues with water. Also had one channels in english.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Faybear
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Once again I found myself at the Hotel Granada in Rio's City Center. There is still renovations ongoing some 7 odd months since my last visit.Come on guys, get a move on!! I provided an average overall rating this time as there seems to be more attention to renovations than maintaining what they have. Sad really, as I had and still have high hopes for this hotel. Location is excellent for business within the city's central. Still no "hot" water and no plans to have any. This will turn off the Expat visitor unfortunately and a lot of revenue will be missed! Guys, if you are reading this...fix it! In house restaurant provides good food, a good menu, quick service and great staff. They have this right!
For city center, this is a good stay at a good price. Just get the boiler/solar water heater fixed...you are loosing money by not having it done already!

Room Tip: Ask if they have hot (and check it) water before you agree to stay.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business