“Excellent Day to Spend with the Girls”
Review of Cook In Rio

and up
Rio de Janeiro Small-Group Cooking Class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Can food explain a culture? Cook in Rio offers Brazilian cooking classes in English to foreign visitors wanting to learn about Brazil, and some of the most fun and delicious Brazilian meals and drinks, like cassava sticks, shrimp moqueca or pork feijoada, batida de coco, caipirinhas and pe de moleque (peanut brittle). Every weekday at 10am or 4pm. The hilarious Chef Simone Almeida awaits you for messy fun.
Toronto, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Excellent Day to Spend with the Girls”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I recently went to Rio for my bachelorette with a group of 6 other girls. We decided to sign up for a cooking class with Chef Simone (in her adorable restaurant in Centro)! We were not disappointed! Simone is passionate about her culture, her food and about love in general. She was so excited to hear I'm getting married and poured some cachaca cocktails for us to cheer with! The entire morning was so high-spirited because of Simone. She would get excited about everything!

We learned how to make feijoada and cachaca cocktails, and everyone in the group was given the chance to contribute to a certain aspect of each part of the meal. Most interesting for me was to learn about how certain ingredients complement or don't complement each other, and how to blend the ingredients together that don't necessarily work well together. My favourite part of the meal was at the very beginning when Simone fried up some polenta for us to snack on while she started to explain all the different ingredients she would be using for the feijoada. All in all, the experience was wonderful and we enjoyed the class/lunch thoroughly!

1 Thank rwyhuang

Santiago, Chile
3 attraction reviews
“feijoada!!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Chef Simone is a lesson in Brazilian culture herself, add her skill at engaging hungry folks from Brussels, Madrid and Milwaukee, and the culinary excitement begins! The practice of browning slabs of cheese, simmering black beans and pork, muddling limes for caipirinhas, and creating hot sauce from marinated chilies is constantly augmented by Simone's take on food and culture and the most profound, yet reasonable explanation of it all! Whether surrounding her demonstration kitchen or sharing the feijoada meal at her table, one eventually leaves with a yearning to return, to eat again, and to listen to more of Chef Simone's rich, spice-laden wisdom of life!

1 Thank NancycnaN
“Fun foodie adventure”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I took a cooking class at Cook in Rio and it was definitely the highlight of my visit to this amazing city. I learned how to make moqueca -- a dish I've been eating on my travels and chef Simone is a delight and wealth of culinary knowledge. She makes sure students have plenty of time to eat and enjoy the food -- not just prepare it. And the classes are held inside her restaurant so you get a flavor for Rio's business lunch scene too.

1 Thank nrbk
Oslo, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A great way to spend an evening in Rio”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I attended the Cook in Rio course with my mother, father and brother, and we all thought it was great. I guess my father was a bit skeptic to the idea of using several hours on a cooking course, but in the end he might have been the one enjoying himself the most :-).

Simone was a great cook, teacher and entertainer. She has a winning personality, and will make you smile all the time (if not, I guess it is more of your own fault than hers). The restaurant in which the course is held is also very cosy.

There was also a lovely family from Scotland attending the same course. 8 participants was a very good number.

You probably going to have dinner in Rio anyway, so why not have some fun before and during dinner as well? Highly recommended!

Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simone rocks and the food is delicious!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Simone, the owner of the restaurant and teacher of the class, has a huge personality and is so much fun. She will make you laugh out loud! It didn't feel like just a cooking class: Simone really goes out of her way to get to know her students - I felt like Simone was a friend afterwards. We made my favorite Brazilian dish, Mocqueca, plus a few sides and a Capirinha. Simone teaches everything in a very easy way that I was able to leave the class feeling confident on making the dishes, and even made Capirinhas immediately when I returned home to the states for friends. I highly recommend this class - you won't be disappointed!

Visited July 2013