“A delicious, delightful and insightful way to spend 4 hours in Rio”
Review of Cook In Rio

and up
Rio de Janeiro Small-Group Cooking Class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Can food explain a culture? Cook in Rio offers Brazilian cooking classes in English to foreign visitors wanting to learn about Brazil, and some of the most fun and delicious Brazilian meals and drinks, like cassava sticks, shrimp moqueca or pork feijoada, batida de coco, caipirinhas and pe de moleque (peanut brittle). Every weekday at 10am or 4pm. The hilarious Chef Simone Almeida awaits you for messy fun.
San Francisco, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A delicious, delightful and insightful way to spend 4 hours in Rio”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I like to pack as many real cultural experiences I can into a trip. On my last day in Rio, I started my day with a 10am to 2pm cooking class with the amazing chef Simone. This is my favourite thing I've done in Rio. There were 5 of us in the class. Simone teaches from her restaurant in the oldest part of Rio. Simone is passionate, genuine and a lot of fun. Simone taught us about the cultural influences from the 3 major cultural groups in Brazil. She tells us about how food defines us, brings out our character and influences our moods. It was a great hands-on experience. We made two appetizers, an incredible traditional fish dish, rice and vegetables. Last but not least we made and drank 3 different types of Caipirinhas. I am certain I will stay in touch with the warm, beautiful, generous and talented Chef Simone. At the end of the class we all sat down to eat the dishes we had prepared together. At $75 US this is an amazing deal.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank belindabigsur

Cincinnati, Ohio
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Lots of Fun!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We signed up for this on a rainy day in Rio, but we would have gladly done it on a sunny day as well! Chef Simone was very personable and knowledgeable about Brazilian culture and cuisine. You can email them yourself to book the class or have your hotel concierge call and book it for you. The location is a little hard to find, as it is inside the new restaurant recently opened by the teacher of the class, Simone. Everyone got a chance to help prepare the meal. First, there was fried manioc as an appetizer with a spicy salsa for dipping. Delicious. Then Simone taught us how to make passion fruit caipirinhas, which were so heavenly we bought all the ingredients to make them as soon as we got home! Then we made a delicious fish with peppers, onions, palm oil, and coconut milk. (Also bought the ingredients to make at home!) It was one of the best meals we had in Rio, and it was definitely the most fun we had eating in Rio.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank tazi1221
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So much more than just a cooking lesson!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Chef Simone makes this so much more than just a cooking lesson. My wife and I left feeling as is we had made a new friend in Rio. This class not only taught us how to make some great dishes, but also some history behind the Brazil and its many flavorful foods. You will learn in just enough detail to be able to do this yourself if you wanted, or just enjoy the afternoon if you only came for the experience. We plan to come back to learn another dish and next time we will bring family and friends.

Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“One of my favorite memories from Rio!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was a fantastic way to lean about Brazilian culture in a more intimate setting. Chef Simone was very warm and friendly and gave a ton of valuable advice on what to do while we were visiting. The food, of course, was delicious and I've been able to successfully recreate for my family!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank MHorejs
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disapointed”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

In lack of professionalism, booked a class, instructor was not there, class was cancled but was never contacted to advise as such, Very rude and no one answers the phone

1 Thank Lilly223
Rio_For_Partiers, Owner at Cook In Rio, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hi Lilly,
we are very sorry about your experience! Both Simone, the instructor and I had a horrible day with one thing after the other setting us back:
1) We spent the morning trying to contact all the members of that class, to tell that the class was cancelled. We manage to reach everyone, even the ones that didnt tell us which hotel they were staying. Even though we sent you emails cancelling, we did not get a hold of you in time...
2) Simone had to dart over to the fire-department to get the license from the "major" of the fire brigade so she can open her new cooking-class studio, or wait 3 months for a normal appointment.
3) I was running to jewelers looking for a wedding band, as my engagement party was that night. So I could not wait outside our studio to tell you the class was cancelled.

We did refund your 10% deposit. Contact us so we can send you a free Brazilian Cooking at Home DVD to make up for your trouble.

Cheers!