“A truly enjoyable and terrific experience!”
Review of Cook In Rio

and up
Rio de Janeiro Small-Group Cooking Class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Can food explain a culture? Cook in Rio offers Brazilian cooking classes in English to foreign visitors wanting to learn about Brazil, and some of the most fun and delicious Brazilian meals and drinks, like cassava sticks, shrimp moqueca or pork feijoada, batida de coco, caipirinhas and pe de moleque (peanut brittle). Every weekday at 10am or 4pm. The hilarious Chef Simone Almeida awaits you for messy fun.
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Everything about this course and Chef Simone is absolutely mindblowingly excellent!

My colleague and I differ from many other reviewers in that we were in Brazil on a job assignment to learn as much as we could about Brazilian cuisine in 10 days. This would be a daunting task for anyone, but thanks to Chef Simone and her vast and deep expertise we feel that we really have a pretty good grasp of the essentials.

Our course started with a trip to a fabulous local market that sets up in different parts of Rio depending of weekday. Chef Simone provides an abundance of information on every single piece of fruit, nut, vegetable, spice, cut of meat, fish, herb, anything and everything that has to do with food – including any and all associated health benefits, historical uses, regional variations and trend status. The vendors all greeted us happily and we got a lot of focused attention since Chef Simone is friends with many of them and guided us expertly from one stand to the other, smelling, rubbing, tasting and awing at the abundance of fresh foods.

We then stopped by a very neat grocery store focusing on local produce before we got to Chef Simone’s studio to start the cooking class.

The studio is a gem by its own rights, decorated to fit Chef Simone’s personality – happy, bold, energetic with strong colors, you get excited just looking around! The cooking class was entertaining and fun, we certainly learned a lot about many aspects of the Brazilian kitchen.

The menu itself was composed with lots of care and attention to detail. Some items were familiar and some were not, some cooking techniques were familiar and others not. There were combinations of foods and spices that were new to us and there were many interesting twists and turns. What they all had in common was that they were absolutely delicious!

And it is not just the lovely company of Chef Simone and the wonderful food that makes this event so memorable, there is also a nice dose of mixology to brighten the day. We learned how to make some classic Brazilian drinks as well as some fun and fresh variations.

Chef Simone certainly went out of her way to insure that all our needs were catered too and she was fantastically generous with all kinds of information in all areas. She is knowledgeable in all areas that touches on food and Brazil. She is full of ideas for things to see and eat, visit and enjoy, experience and buy. She is also a very warm and loving person and showed big concern for our well-being and happiness.

She also arranged for a phenomenal excursion into the rain forest for us the following day, which was another amazing experience. Her energy and joy the vivre is contagious and after spending a couple of days with Chef Simone we walked away with a strong zest for life and all its pleasures and a passion for Brazilian food and drink.

We strongly recommend Cook in Rio for anyone who wants to get a fun, exciting and educational glimpse into some of the best things about Brazil. Chef Simone is outstanding!!!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Don't miss chef Simone at action. Her class is truly a great experience: meet good people, get cooking tips, learn about Brazil cloture, and of course eat great Brazilian food (and Capirinia...).
Simone knowledge  in cooking is impressive and you know you are  at good hands (even when the knife is pointing at you... :-)). The class is also very intimate and you feel like you are at home away from home.
Don't miss it!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Simone is such a lively, fun person and we had such a great time! My husband and I joined in the feijoada class on our last day in Rio. I only wish that we had been able to fit it in earlier in our stay, as you learn so much about Brazil, the culture, the people, etc. The food was amazing, and made even better because we helped make it! Others in the class (6 of us in total, plus Simone) helped make it a memorable day. I also had a bit of difficulty waiting for emails, but eventually got what I needed. Would definitely recommend it!!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Just like the title says, I emailed and reserved a class with them 2 weeks in advance while traveling in Argentina. About a week before the class, they asked if I could make another date instead. I said that I was only in Rio for a few days and that I could make the next day if they had a morning class. No answer for a few days, when I get a short email asking if I could make it 5 days from that day.

So, I told them again that I would be gone by then and that it probably won't work out, so I'd like to get a refund on my deposit. No answer. I get that deposits are meant to hold a class, but when I make a deposit for a class and then they cancel the class, that makes sense to get it back. Unless you're the owner of Cook in Rio, who doesn't seem to agree. The Paypal account for this class is also for "Rio for Partiers", which probably explains what the company is really about. I hope it was worth it for my deposit.

2  Thank GregOn
Rio_For_Partiers, Owner at Cook In Rio, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Greg,
We are very sorry about the trouble you went thru. We did coincidentaly refund your $7.50 deposit the day you submited your review. Unfortunately your review was posted 2 days later, so now it is too late to ask you to remove the review from TA...

We dont make money by keeping our customer`s deposits, we make money by offering a great experience in Rio. We have therefore sent you a copy of our "Brazilian Cooking at Home" DVD to make ammends for the the rescheduling.
Cheers!
Cristiano

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Simone is a very entertaining chef who made sure we had enough food and drink the entire class. I was a bit hesitant in choosing the moqueca dish at the time, but I have no regrets because it was absolutely DELICIOUS!! Highly recommended for something different to do while in Rio.