“Fabulous alternative”

Ranked #17 of 328 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Fabulous alternative”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was very happy I picked this place to stay for 3 nights. I thought about near the beach, but this was much better. I was met by Helena at the airport, a 30 minute drive to her home. Some reservations must have fallen through, and she "upgraded' me from a room to the bungalow, which was incredibly nice. It was detached from the house, separated by a short walk and a gate. One night I was woken up by an anteater which makes a weird noise to say the least. The house borders the forest, so critters are common. Expect birds to wake you up, if not something else, at sunlight. In the morning, a nice breakfast is served, and you might cross paths with other guests. I met a couple from Australia and a gentleman from England.

The house is up a good sized climb from the base of the train to Christ the Redeemer. So, its nice to head down and catch the train for a trip up the mountain. I ran up the tracks a good way, over a sketchy bridge, then connected with the road and ran all the way up to the top. I guestimate it was a 15K round trip, but a 2400 foot climb, so it wasn't easy. I read plenity of warnings about doing what I did, but found it safe.

At the base you can buses going either direction (to botanic gardens, one way, to Botofogo, Flamengo, and the beaches the other way). You can also catch a bus to the metro.

Beaches take 30 minutes or so to get to, but are amazing. I also hit up Sugarloaf. I took one cab ride the entire trip, as the buses really do work well, but ask your hosts which ones because there are minimal if any directions on the buses and they don't tend to speak english. Knowing your stop, in other words, isn't easy/obvious.

Returning at night you burn off the drinks--that climb up the hill from the base made me sweat! If you are not physically fit, this might by an issue (handicapped will not work). You will need to ask your host to open a gate to leave, and press a buzzer to announce yourself when you return. It is not 100% convenient, but the small price is worth the sound of mind for safety. They also have 4 guard dogs that roam the grounds at night.

If you want to walk out of your room into the beach, this is not the place for you. But if you want to experience a more usual lifestyle but with comfort and amazing surroundings, this is the perfect place. The hosts are incredibly nice and helpful, something you can't get at a hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Great location for exploring Rio, a short (steep) walk up the hill from the Christ the Redeemer funicular station and a well connected bus service.  The Pousada is tucked away in the edges of a national park, which means falling asleep to the sounds of the forest, rather than the sound of car horns and waking up to monkeys eating at the outdoor table, but all the major attractions are within easy striking distance.

Helena and Diogo are great hosts providing lots of information and recommendations as well as a wonderful breakfast each morning.  We stayed in the bungalow, which is out of the main house which meant a greater degree of privacy and we would recommend, the only downside to this is that the wifi does not stretch to the bungalow, but that would only be a problem for those wanting to stay on line 24/7 as you are welcome in the main house at any time.

Should we ever happen to be staying in Rio again we wouldn't hesitate to stay with Helena and Diogo and would happily recommend it to friends, family and other travellers.

Room Tip: Choose the bungalow for added privacy and early glimpses of the monkeys. Choose a room in the house...
toronto
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Casa Caminho do Corcovado is a magical spot - beautiful lush setting, with a spectacular view. We stayed here for two nights in August in the adorable Bungalow room - which felt like our own special cottage in the centre of the city, with a garden shared by monkeys. It was the second place that we had stayed at in Rio during our trip - previously we'd been at a Pousada in the Santa Teresa neighbourhood.

Helena and Diogo were such amazing hosts. Helena gave us excellent tips for navigating the city, finding a good restaurant and prepared a beautiful breakfast. She was such a warm, wonderful person. It felt like you were staying with a family friend. We also appreciated that Diogo gave us a great recommendation to go to nearby Rue Alice for dinner.

The only reason that I'm giving four stars out of five (and if Trip Advisor had a function for giving 4 1/2, I'd definitely bump it up), is that the location wasn't quite ideal for us - though I'm sure for many people it would be totally perfect. In comparison to Santa Teresa, it was definitely easier to move around to different neighbourhoods. It was well placed to access either the Southern Beaches or the centre and Lapa. However, there were less restaurants and bars in this neighbourhood, than in Santa Teresa, and for us we might have preferred a livelier scene within a fifteen minute walk. That being said, it was incredibly relaxing and soothing to the spirit being at Casa Caminho do Corcovado - and you can easily take taxis to livelier spots. Waking up there for the wonderful breakfasts was an absolute treat. I would certainly return there again and recommend it to others - but with the warning that it is a quiet neighbourhood.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This place had everything we wanted. My wife and I rented the private bungalow, which I highly recommend. It was private and intimate, which was perfect for our anniversary. The room was very clean. We even had our own private yard. The area is safe and it is a nice central location. YOU MUST EAT DINNER THERE!!! The food is amazing and an exceptional bargain. The owner Helena and her family are extremely welcoming, and they have a vast knowledge of Rio.

Room Tip: Ask for the bungalow.
1 Thank Bry C
Paris, France
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We spend 5 nights in Casa Caminho do Corcovado in July. The house was built at the begining of XX century, it is surrounded by trees and lovely garden, with a beautifull view. Tenant is very warm and explain everything you need (how to take bus and metro, nice spots to see, even art galeries, etc). Transfers to airport was very easy and secured. Place is extremely clean and nicely decorated. Breaskfast is fantastic with homemade food, and freash fruits.
It is really a pleasure to wake up with birds all arround in the peacefull place and to rest after a day of visit.
A few stairs to get there, but it is really worth the effort. It is very close to the bus ansd corcovado train station too.
We would love to come back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaudParis_19
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is probably one of the best places I have ever stayed in a big city. Helena and Diogo were amazing hosts, and made our trip to Rio. We had Christmas dinner with the family and couldn't have been more appreciative (sorry it's taken me so long to write the review!). My wife and I are in our early 30s and were looking for a place to escape the hustle and bustle of Rio at night, but close enough to be part of the action. This place, in the middle of the forest, was amazing. Monkeys, wildlife and the fenicular coming past on it's way to Christ the Redeemer. My wife had a broken leg at the time, and while it is a really steep hill to get to the Casa, Helena and Diogo made it easy for us to get up and down the hill. I couldn't recommend this more highly and have already told a few people coming to Rio that it's a must!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I had the pleasure of spending 4 nights at this place and I have never felt so welcomed, pampered and well treated. helena, the owner, really loves what she does and proves it with every detail she has for her guests. she woke up everyday early to greet us, show us the great breakfast she had for us, and help us plan the day.
The house is amazing! Such a good service, and you really get to know how it is like to live in Rio. 100% recomended. If I go back to Rio I wouldn't even think about staying anywhere else!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple