“Terrible stay!”

Ranked #202 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Brasilia
“Terrible stay!”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I felt so frustrated so many times in my stay in this hostel! I made my reservations through a website called "hostel bookers". Since I was afraid that the hostel didnt get my reservations properly, I called them one day after departing and confirmed my reservations. They told me everything was ok with my 2 days reservation. When I got there, they told me that they would only have room for us (me and my friend) for the first day. The second day I would have to stay somewhere else. We had reservation for double room with a bathroom. When I got into the room, the bathroom had hair all over. It was really gross, because the had not cleaned it before.

I tried to have my breakfast at 9:30am (the breakfast time is from 9 am to 11 am) and there was no breakfast ready. I ask the only person responsable for the breakfast if we could have our breakfast and he was really rude and told me he was washing deashes and it would take at least 20 minutes. I would have to meet some friends at the beach by 10am, so ofcourse i could not had my breakfast there.

The room smeled like mold.

Having to move to another hostel in the middle of a two days trip really sucked.

If you insist in staying there, I wish you good luck...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank mafebraga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Rio Backpackers is a warm and nice hostel. The staff are very friendly and helpful.
Always miss Rio and Rio Backpackers. Hope I can come back Rio and live in this hostel again!!!
I really enjoyed the stay in Rio Backpackers and love all the staff here :)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Not my first time at Backpackers, counsel for being cozy, great staff and very well located.
Not to mention that the price is honest!

Não é a minha primeira vez no Backpackers, é muito aconchegante, tem uma boa equipe de funcionários além de uma ótima localização.
Sem dizer que o preço é honesto!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I lost time, money and spent a bad time. I preferred to go away... No money back.
Cleanliness conditions are very poor, bathroom was disgusting with an used ´hairy´ soap and fungi on the tap and in the curtain, moreover pillow covers were requested to change because they were also dirty...

Expensive room (U$70) for this kind of service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank apuredol

Travelers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I stayed here for 5 days and it is a good base for the beach and night life. It's a really comfortable hostel with great common area and a great atmosphere. The staff were excellent, friendly and helpful and recommend places to go every evening and sometimes got involved themselves, and they give you information about how to get to places in Rio, and other places in Brazil. The hostel organised tours and there was always a night time event for anyone wanting to party. Recommended! Overall a great place to stay. And Anja and Tina are fab! Always there when you need them.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Nafi_London
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Rio Backpackers is a warm, inviting hostel...that welcomes each guest with a free caipirinha in the upstairs bar, offers free breakfast everyday, has hammocks, a kitchen you can use, a bar open every night, a pool table, a television..and the BEST people! Just a short walk to Copacabana beach, this is an ideal hostel for backpackers. The staff really make an effort to provide guests with access to great experiences in Rio (samba dance halls, soccer games, fun parties). I felt like by the end of my two weeks staying at this hostel, that I had created a mini family in what is now one of my favorites cities in the world.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Stayed in this hostel twice. Clean small dorm rooms just for 6 people, late breakfast, friendly stuff, party atmosphere 7 days a week!
Definitely I`m coming back there when i`m in Rio.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo