“Total disappointment”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Brazilian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barra da Tijuca
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I really don't know why all the great reviews... We got there and they could not find my reservation..we had to wait 20 or so minutes in their lounge...ordered some wine and once table was ready we had to bring the bottle, the glasses, the water... Then at the table, took a good 10 minutes before someone even attended us.... The salad bar was good and plenty, but the meat was extra salty, and chewy. I live in Brazil and this was my first time there and i was with guests from Canada. They wanted to go as they had heard such good things...I was ashamed.
We hardly had any food...I wanted to try the desert as I was still hungry and I had seen the cart on my way in...well, by the time I asked them 3 times, I got fed up and asked for the bill. The manager came to apologize, but for me it was too late, we paid and left... A hefty price for not eating so much. Will never go there again. Many other places where the meat and service is much better.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Found the BarraGrill via a simple google search. The location and setting is very nice, upscale. Amazing variety of salads, sushi, cheeses, meats, and THEN the BBQ! Wow the excellent staff just kept bringing amazing cuts of meats, all perfectly cooked. If you like caipirinha, they make these for you AT the table, and wow are they good! And then they provided a ride back to the hotel in their brand new passenger van...thru gridlock traffic. I didn't see the bill, but I bet is wasn't cheap, but then this is a really nice experience. Worth it!!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

By accident we found this place and if Im in the neighborhood I go there every time. The staff is very polite and the meat they bring out is outstanding. If you for some reason want something a little bit different they'll fix it.

2  Thank AndersKarlskrona
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I make a habit of cross-referencing concierge with bellboy when it comes to recommendations for eating out, finding the latter perhaps, on balance, a little more in tune with my mood.

This particular Sunday lunchtime, after several days of high-octane indulgence I cut out the hard work and went straight to Luis with a simple brief - I need meat and I don't need fuss.

Without hesitation, he called a cab forward, guided us aboard and instructed the driver towards the Barra Grill.

Sundays are busy at the Barra it seems and a fairly lengthy wait in the dark ante chamber bar was softened by a couple of complimentary beers. We were called forward into a buzzing, noisy, inviting dining room with a simply colossal selection of...everything. Salads, sides, cheeses, deserts on buffet and massive, massive quantities of meat circulating amongst tables filled with families, young groups, old groups, couples...Passadores were charming, meat quality was great and the selection enormous. After endless rounds of picanha, ludicrous numbers of chicken hearts and just a few chunks of filet migon, I was finally brought to a halt by several huge slices of crisp, tender lamb, a full saddle brought on a trolley to table.

The wine-list wasn't great but the reserve Argentine Malbec was spot-on.

Bill for two (gluttons) was, I think, the equivalent to about UK£60. Just right I'd say.

Sunday roasts back home have seemed so comparatively light-weight ever since.

Just go, you'll love it.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

During our stay we went to different types of very good restaurants in Rio but, in my opinion, this was the best. The different kinds of grilled meat are all excelent, juicy, light, no words to define how delicious it was.