“Great location, great host”
Review of Rio Dolphin Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rio de Janeiro
Rio Dolphin Inn
Brisbane, Australia
“Great location, great host”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Rio Dolphin Inn for 6 nights, and found it to be a nice little B&B in a perfect location. If you walk out onto the sidewalk and look left, you can see Copacabana beach a few blocks away. If you look right, you can see Ipanema. The only problem is, which way to go (Hint: Straight ahead - it will take you to a neat little pocket at the northern end of Ipanema beach).

John the host is an awesome guy. When we arrived, he took us for a walk around Ipanema and showed us some places to eat, where the supermarkets were and where to get the best açaí (You have to try this drink, it is amazing!). We accidentally left our camera in the car on the way from the airport, but John loaned us one of his for the day, and we got our camera back the next day! Unfortunately, we didn’t have time to get the pics transferred from the borrowed camera to a DVD. But John has since posted the DVD to us (Hopefully the Brazilian postal service hasn’t “misplaced” the package).

I highly recommend you take the favela tour with John’s friend Jefferson. The lad from the favela was a great guide and we just loved spending time with him. The favela we went to was just behind John's house, and we felt very safe walking around. Jefferson is the friendliest person and his English is very good!!! The tour does require a lot of walking up and down steep narrow steps so just be aware before embarking on this great tour.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of downsides to the accommodation though. Even though the rest of the house was great, our room never got cleaned (dolphin room) and the bathroom was a bit of a let down. The toilet was right next to the shower and with only a ½ glass wall separating them, the toilet and the floor got wet. The bed was also a little hard and pillow were really thin. But realistically, you shouldn’t be spending much time in the room when there is Rio to explore!!!

Also, there was the issue with the poor old Dalmatian. The 15 year old dog that had lost use of his hind legs, and would whine when John was out. It made us feel uncomfortable whenever we heard the poor animal whine.

John thank you for your hospitality (and for posting the images to us), you are great human being, and your dedication to your ailing companion is truly inspiring, but hopefully by now you have done the right thing.

Travelers, I highly recommend staying at the Rio Dolphin Inn, it’s not 5 star accommodation, but the location and John the host make this place worth staying in.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Craig H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Singapore
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at the Rio Dolphin in early Oct. I picked it mainly because of its central location & its proximity to both the Ipanema & Copacabana beaches. Yes the price was higher than other pousadas but I didn’t mind because safety was important to me. I was a lady travelling by myself you see.

When I arrived at the Rio Dolphin, John welcomed me warmly. He didn’t have a room for my first night but he was nice enough to help me find one nearby. I stayed at the Little Prince’s Room from the second night. It was comfortable, charming & had lots of character. John was extremely extremely helpful throughout my stay. He told me where to go, how to go there, what time to go. He was like my personal concierge :) who was there at the right place at the right time. And he did it without invading my privacy. My only regret was that I didn’t have the time to lounger around his quaint little house.

I would recommend the Rio Dolphin to anyone

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Trudster18
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Big thank you to John for making myself and my friend feel so welcome in his gorgeous home. There were so many lovely touches to make you feel welcome, and is home is bursting with character. John sorted us out with transfers to and from the airport, recommendations of where to go, how to get there, where to eat and dance and drink and get the most out of Rio. Staying with someone who has lived and breathed Rio for over 25 years made all the difference. Thank you so much John...we will be back! Sarah and Katherine

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarahv2000
Ellesmere Port
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This truly a 5* Guest House. John is getting high praise here on here and it has to be said - rightly so. The house is in a safe and ideal location, the rooms are great, its always clean and John encourages guests to make themselves at home.

My partner and I used the kitchen to make breakfast and the living quarters are very homely and comfortable; International TV, DVD's and many travel guides - some obscure ones that I've never seen but were very helpful for Rio.

John can recommend and advise on almost anyhting in Rio for day or night. However, it's worth taking the time to talk to John not only about immediate plans for Rio but to see if you can tease out one of his intriuging story's from the past - you'll be in for a treat.

My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Rio Dolphn and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone who is looking to see Rio but see it in an authentic and safe manner. You'll want to go back for more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Walkidio
England
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We came here based on the recommendations from Trip Advisor & we were very pleased. John was welcoming, friendly & so kind. On arrival he gave us a little orientation which was appreciated as we were a little apprehensive (given it's Rio) and it was dark when we arrived! He recommended great places for food too. The house itself is charming & our room (the one with en-suite) suited our needs perfectly. John was also kind enough to organise our football tickets for the Saturday night & a wonderful favela tour with one of the guys from the Cantogallo favela he's worked with - well worth doing that with Jefferson - he is fantastic. And then John helped us organise our transfers. All in all he made our trip easier & more enjoyable. Thank you John! Gaby & Stuart.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gabster49
Phuket
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Big thank you to John for making are stay at the Dolphin Inn such a great experience. After missing are flight to Brazil due to delays we arrived a day late after 40 hours in transit. John gave us all the info required to see everything we needed in Rio in 3 days. The Rio Dolphin is a cool little place reminding me of an Hawaii beach house and is smack bang between copacobena and Ipanema for all the action, but quiet enough to come back to and relax. Safe and secure on a private gated street it's a great place to launch your Brazlian adventure

John also kindly did not charge us for the missed night which was a great gesture, I've been in chain hotels that have not done that.

Great inn, defiantly worth the visit if in Rio

Rick

• Stayed October 2012
Reviewed October 12, 2012

jus got back from rio i stayed at the dolphin inn ensuite room for 9 nights john is an excellent host who will go out of his way to do things for u he organized a driver to pick me up and take me to see sights in rio much cheaper than a taxi or a local guide this place deserves number 1 spot there is always fres juice and chocs nuts and my favourite teas thanks john peace x

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo