The hotel is located in the hillside Santa Teresa district which is a charming and authentic neighbourhood, known for its bohemian spirit, very different from the other famous spots in Rio.
I’ve enjoyed the peculiarity of the district very much since it shows a completely diverse and unknown side of the city.
At the same time, the narrow, steep and winding streets of Santa Teresa make it very difficult to reach the hotel if travelling in your own car. We got lost several times following both the GPS and street signs. Fortunately the hotel features its own parking therefore once we arrived we managed to leave our car there for our whole stay in Rio.
Taxis are also an issue since drivers are reluctant to take you up Santa Teresa’s streets both for the short, cheap ride (it happened to us when we were in the Lapa district for example) and for the rough street maintenance. However, the hotel offers its own car service which we used several times and was directly charged in our room.
A part from the transportation issues, I believe the hotel is a nice alternative to the other boutique hotels located on the beaches. Compared to these, I think Santa Teresa is more particular from a decorative point of view, presenting a definitely french taste and african-like reminiscences and design.
Me and my boyfriend stayed for two nights in a master suite at the first floor. Our room was quite spacious, had a nice view, comfortable bed. I personally didn’t like the taste of the bathroom, found it a little bit cold. Loved the present on top of our bed at our arrival with two pairs of Ipanema flip-flops inside!
The outside pool and bar overlook the city and offer an incredible panorama, especially by night. In the morning we enjoyed our breakfasts sitting on an adorable table surrounded by orchids and placed in front of a big window looking out on Rio’s mountains and landscape.
Definitely recommend to anyone looking for a different taste of Rio.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Santa Teresa M Gallery by Sofitel, in the heart of Santa Teresa neighborhood, offers direct access to the economic hubs of the city, such as Avenida Rio Branco, Botafogo beach, Marina da Gloria, only 10 minutes away from Santos Dumont Airport. It is also close to all the main tourist attractions, such as Christ the Redeemer, Sugarloaf Mountain, Lapa district, Ruins park, Selaron steps, Santa Teresa tram, plus Copacabana, Leme, Ipanema, Leblon and Barra da Tijuca beaches. It has 44 rooms beautifully decorated with Brazilian design furniture, connected to gardens filled with exotic plants and birds, Le Spa, a serenity escape in the middle of Rio de Janeiro, a pool with a breathtaking view of the city, our Bar dos Descasados, known for receiving a loyal and cool crowd , and last but not least Restaurant Tereze with its contemporary Brazilian gastronomy, ranked as one of the best hotel’s restaurants of Rio de Janeiro. Extras of this hotel Hotel Santa Teresa is a hotel boutique with only 44 apartments and suites, 2 meeting rooms allocating up to 120 people, space and advisory for weddings and social events, pool lounge area, bar, restaurant and spa services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, TravelClick, Hotwire, Travelocity, ACCOR, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and Priceline so you can book your Santa Teresa Hotel RJ MGallery By Sofitel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Santa Teresa - Relais And Chateaux
- Santa Teresa Hotel RJ MGallery By Sofitel Rio De Janeiro, Brazil