“good hotel, great location”

Windsor Excelsior Hotel
Ranked #35 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had read some mixed reviews of this hotel. We booked a partial seaview room which had a great view of copacabana beach.The hotel was fine. We stayed for 5 nights on a bed and breakfast deal. The room was simple but good.The breakfast had loads of choice and a great view to the beach. The roofpool had stunning views day and night.The staff were great, especially the reception . I will mention Camila , as she was very helpful and spoke good english. We booked our samba night with them. We also took the hotel car to Maracana Stadium, where the driver stayed for an hour and brought us back. This cost 80 reals, which a didnt think was bad.

Room Tip: seaview and partial seaview
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stevoCardiff
EmilianoLusoli, Gerente geral at Windsor Excelsior Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2016

Dear traveler,

Thank you for coming to Trip Advisor and leave your experience in Windsor Excelsior Hotel. We work diligently care and receive this sensational return.

There are newer reviews for Windsor Excelsior Hotel

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Windsor chain from my experience is one of the premier properties in Brazil. This hotel is in need of room redecoration. While there are flat screen tvs, the rest of the room has hard beds and old decor. The staff are plentiful and extremely helpful and pleasant. The service is very quick - ask for a laundry pickup and someone is at your door within 2 minutes. The location is excellent - right next to the famous Copacabana Palace. It is a 15 minute cab ride from downtown as well. Internet was good but fairly expensive (over $20) for 24 hr period where most hotels have stopped charging for this. The hotel also has "beach service" - free chair, umbrella and towel. You have to use a local vendor 20' away for drinks...this is no big deal, they'll bring everything to you! Copacabana beach of course is excellent, as are Ipanema, Leblon and Barra beaches.

Room Tip: Avoid a room ending in "01" - they are the smallest on the floor and have no view whatsove...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear traveler,

His considerations are very important for us to verify where we make mistakes and we can improve to maintain service excellence. Thank you.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed here two nights for work. Great location on Copacabana. Arrived in evening. Check-in was good. Service adequate but nothing that stood out. Room had two single beds with dated linens and towels. Nice size shower. Good hot water. Air conditioning worked great. Internet (wireless) was spotty, slow, and expensive. Nice roof bar and view. Good breakfast buffet. Not much in the way of nearby dining. Taxis easy to get. Very expensive at >$300 USD per night plus internet fees. I stayed previous week in Ipanema for 2/3 cost. Would not return to Excelsior unless something (price..) changed signficantly. That said, I gasp at how expensive Rio has become.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank trinzeon

Reviewed May 31, 2012

The best thing going for the Windsor Excelsior is that it is steps away from Copacabana Beach. Where to begin? The rooms were atrocious. Dark with twin beds covered in dingy orange bedspreads. I was on the 3rd floor facing the side street which was very loud. Bathroom had a weird grate on the floor where I could see standing water. The room was clean, just very dated. About the service, most of the doormen just looked bored and never said hello apart from one who spoke English. The waiters who worked the top level pool deck couldn't speak a word of English. While I don't expect that and we tried our best at Portuguese, they hadn't a clue. So now for the best part...my air conditioning unit which is positioned within the ceiling kept making noises. I found myself pounding the ceiling to make it stop. Eventually, I placed a chair atop the bed to peer into the air conditioning to see what was making that sound. (I note that others complained of AC unit noise...) I found nothing but rancid mold extending the width of the room. (See pictures below). I hoped that this was only my room, however, the mold was just as extensive in the room next door where my parents were staying. In fact, you could see it growing on the wall! I brought this to the attention of the manager who reluctantly credited my account for internet usage (which isn't free of course). I would have expected to have my entire stay comped. While I hate to destroy a hotel that seemed to be trying, this mold is no doubt pervasive within this entire hotel. I would not stay here under any circumstance.

Why two stars you ask? The breakfast each morning was terrific.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights at The windsor excelsior hotel and the property was fine. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, but the location of this hotel is worth the money. Situated right in the middle of Copacabana beach on Avenida Atlantica, we found this hotel to be the perfect fit for our quick stop over in Rio. The views from the rooftop pool deck are amazing both at day and night and it is situated close to a huge array of restaurants.Wifi was a little patchy, but other than that , very friendly staff. Very convenient.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank GouFam

Reviewed May 24, 2012

When we first arrived in Brazil we stayed in a 3* sister hotel (Windsor Palace) and didn't expect much but was more than pleasantly surprised. We then toured Brazil and came back to Rio and stayed at this hotel - as it was 4* we expected more in quality but was unfortunately disappointed. The room we were shown to was like a coffin - it housed a bed that you couldn't even walk around - the window looked black as the building next door was soooo close you couldn't even see out... I could have cried... the staff did change our room and we had a move to a larger room overlooking a side street. The food was excellent, the desk staff were excellent (although a little off hand at first)...the pool staff leave a lot to be desired - they forgot orders, didn't bring change etc. but the location was amazing. Wouldn't stay here again tho....

Room Tip: unfortunately if you go for the cheapest option with this hotel your room may be like ours in the mi...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kavanagh23

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Atlantica in front of Cobacabana, although i went for business and stayed for sleep and have breakfast to come back at night again for 4 days. Seemed expensive even for a corporate fare. Tiny rooms, good cable TV and slow WI-Fi. Retaurant is always crowded, specially breakfast. I was not really impressed. Staff very kind and helpful, i guess the stars awarded are mainly for personnel working there. Pool on the roof with snack bar. I guess it would be common for anyone going to these hotel to find out that expectations were too high in terms of accomodations and facilities. Reasonable investment from owners and hotel chain would easily raise the bar for this place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Dear Andrzej,

Thank you very much for your time to leave us a comment about Windsor Excelsior. I am glad that your stay with us was enjoyable.

Regards,