“Not what it used to be”
Review of Bira Restaurante

Bira Restaurante
Ranked #558 of 14,006 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: Brazilian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I started going to Bira´s in 1989, and it was heaven! My husband and I ate a fantastic Moqueca de Camarao and shrimp pasteis for $25, plus inexpensive caipirinhas. Bira´s was a wonderful break from the caos of Rio, and we would go at least once a month. Although I no longer live in Rio, I return every year, and the last time I was in Rio, in Dec, 2012, I went with my son. We were shocked at the prices and the food was not anywhere near as delicious and fresh as it used to be. The restaurant still retains it´s unique charm, but there are only tourists now, willing to pay an outrageous sum for simple food. One caipirinha costs RS 22!!!! The shrimp in our Moqueca was not fresh, and we both felt ripped off. This is still a lovely place to visit, but the food is only mediocre now. I prefer to go to Aprzível in Santa Teresa in Rio for good Bahian food. If money is of no concern, go to Bira´s.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

As other people said this place is the bomb. It is hard to find, but if you can get there it is awesome.

Recommendations:

Shrimp Pasteis
Camarão com Catupiri / Prawns with Catupiri Cheese
Porção de Filé no Limão / Boiled Seabass Fillet with Lemon, Olive Oil, and Onions

Reviewed January 20, 2013

It was quite a drive out there and I never would've known it was there if I hadn't been with locals. Don't expect to head out for a quick bite, the wait for any dish is on average 45 minutes, which is fine if you have the time because it had an amazing view of dense forest and river to keep even the most impatient occupied. They don't take credit and the dishes are quite expensive, but it's worth it - the food was delicious, and there was LOTS to go around. Don't let the high prices scare you, a single dish can feed easily 3 people. The service was also great. If you have the time and the money, definitely consider it, it was well worth it.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Bit difficult to find but once you get there the great view to the river flowing into the sea pays for the effort made. We had the best prawn moqueca in Rio de Janero, the prawn as if the were just caught. Service decent, prices ok for the quality of food, be aware
that they only accept cash.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

The journey for me is part of the magic, well the journey there is. The journey back is a chore.
This place is awesome, when people visit me in Rio I try and fit Bira into the agenda at some point.
Tucked away on the side of the hill, you are in a 'jungle paradise'. You will probably have to wait for a table, sometimes up to an hour but they have benches to sit on, be sure to have a caipirinha (if you aren't driving) and a couple of pasteis while you wait. They are awesome on their own.
Then order your bowl of steaming fishy goodness. I like Squid and Octopus and things like that but have had a more conventional fish moqueca here too. It is all good, you will really enjoy it, whatever you order will be of the highest standard and there will be a lot of it too.
The only negative i have about this place is the behavior of some of the other guests. It is a lovely family spot and the format of 'family dining' works well, you can dollop out the right portion etc. but in a restaurant where waiters are carrying earthenware cauldrons of boiling fish stew please keep your kids under control. If you can't control them, take them to somewhere with a play area. Moan over I promise