“Incredibly poor.”

Le Pre Catelan
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Copacabana
Description: For us, gastronomy is art de la cuisine and flavors, presentation, service and ambience are paramount. All this is taken into consideration to create a culinary concept where food is an essential ingredient for an unforgettable experience. The Le Pre Catelan restaurant has been named one of the top 10 hotel restaurants in the world by Hotel World magazine. Modern decor and views over Copacabana. Our menu changes every 2 weeks.
Santiago
“Incredibly poor.”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I booked a table 20 days in advance on occasion of our 50th. wedding anniversary , fact which I stated. Upon arrival, we were proposed a table with no view and all by ourselves, arguing all the rest were booked.After a very unpleasant situation , we were finally set outside. Needless to say we did not mind the cost, after all, 50 years are unmatchable. Were approached by a very unproffesional staff, obviously new on their job, snobish without any basis.The food poorly cooked ( magret de canard ) requested rose but brought well cooked. The sobre mesa was simple and did not correspond to a acceptable restaurante. Summary, the wine was what we asked for.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank MAGN

Stockholm
“working towards a star”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is the kind of place that would like to have a Michelin star. It has the beautiful location with a view over the beach, excellent French - inspired food, the amusements between courses, the quiet ambience, and a quite decent wine list.

I don't think it'll get its star this year, though; the staff want to please so much you end up feeling a bit sorry for them. The food doesn't have quite the originality of presentation, perfection of cut and harmony of taste that a star requires.

It is very very good, and certainly worth the price in comparison to other Rio restaurants -- or restaurants with ambitions in other cities.

• Visited November 2013
“One of a kind french restaurant”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

I've been at Le Pre Catalan in an ordinary monday night, expecting to finaly taste the food of one of the greatest french chefs in Brazil. But nothing I write down here could nearly describe the experience I had there. A kind and flawless stuff took care of everything from the moment I arrived until the time I left. The chef – Roland Villard – himself was among the dinners several times to make sure everything was alright. And the food… OMG, the food: as perfect as it gets. I just can't remember the last time I had such an amazing experience. Definitely a must go in Rio.

Taichung, Taiwan
“Good food & great services”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I went there for a dinner. It is inside Sofitel Copacabana. My husband ordered the tasting menu (R190) and I the Amazonia (R260). The food was traditional French (even the Amazonia menu - exotic ingredients but French taste) and some dishes were very salty. It didn't "wow" us as did Olympe, which remains our favorite restaurant in Rio, and for the matter, Brazil. The dessert trolley was impressive and very nice. The made of fresh mint leaves was our favorite - really helped washing down all the heavy food.

The chef came out to greet the customers table by table - which to me wasn't a big plus - as he looked a little sloppy, with his chef top all wrinkly. The service, on the other hand, was fantastic. Our waiter was extremely attentive, even seemed a little eager to please - not in a bad way. The sommelier was very professional and introduced us some nice wine. Their great services made it a great night out!

• Visited October 2013
Lenzerheide, Switzerland
“One of the best restaurants in Rio”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary (day of the civil wedding) at the Pré Catalan, where we had been before, and which we had really liked.

The restaurant has a nice view of the Copacabana beach and sea....really spectacular. The food is really excellent - very well prepared, good choice, some excellent typical Brazilian dishes. A true delight. The wine list is quite extensive, and the wines rather reasonably priced (by Brazilian standards, that is - don't forget that imported wines are subject to >100% duties and taxes, so the wines must be more expensive than elsewhere).

The service was extremely attentive, excellent, flawless.

When I made the reservation, I was asked whether this was a special occasion, and I said it was our wedding anniversary. When asking for the check, the Maître d' came and brought a little present of the house....a very nice tart, "mousse de framboise" (rasperry mousse). What a nice gesture! We were extremely pleased.

Prices at this restaurant are within the normal rather high band of leading Rio restaurants, but not overpriced in our opinion.

In our opinion, this restaurant deserves another star in the Brazilian guide. We have yet to find a restaurant in Rio that we consider better than the Pre Catalan!

Visited September 2013