Don Camillo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Copacabana
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was at Don Camillo twice during my stay in Rio and both times I found the food quite poor especially considering the prices charged. I'm not saying it tasted bad but you would expect more out of a R$40 pizza.
The service has always been pretty bad too. While all the staff and managers are very courteous and kind, you order things and you don't get them, they put things you didn't eat on your bill, and so on.
In short, avoid.

1  Thank Marla7

Reviewed February 27, 2013

along the Av atlantica with sea views , you can either eat outside or in the a/c lounge. Good quality food and a healthy wine list- but at a price...

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Don Camillo was a surprise at how delicious it was! I love truffle and they had a steak and truffle dish that I looooovvveedd. Plus the drinks are big and strong. However, it is pricey so bring cash. Lots of it! You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The staff was friendly with fast service, however the place was almost empty on a Monday at 8:00pm. I ordered a Chicken Ceasar Salad and it came made with soggy ice berg lettuce that was warm and the dressing was watery with no taste. I told the server that it was terrible so I ordered dessert and coffee but got an expresso instead. The bill arrived without any adjustment even though I didn't eat it. The price of the salad was R$39.00

Reviewed February 17, 2013

On a recent trip to Rio de Janeiro, a friend and I ate at Don Camillo three times. The combination of the prime location, the comfortable outdoor deck, and the best pasta I've eaten anywhere -- yes, in Brazil of all places -- kept bringing us back. I recommend their pastas with seafood in particular. My favorite was a black tagliolini with shrimp and octopus with garlic and olive oil that was so perfectly cooked and seasoned that I had to order it on a subsequent visit. Another excellent dish was their fettucine with crawfish in a creamy red sauce. One of Don Camillo's gimmicks (though I must admit I enjoyed it) is that they bring out the pasta right in the pan it was prepared in for "inspection" by the diner, before they plate and serve it. A recommended starter is the carpaccio of assorted fish including tuna and salmon... melted in my mouth, and went really well with the bread that is served at the table. One small critique is that 2 of the 3 times we went to Don Camillo, the bread was not served warm from the oven, which would have been a nice touch... however, the bread does include assorted varieties (including crispy breadsticks) and they are quite good. I tried a different dessert each night... the desserts are excellent, but my favorite was the pear poached in wine, and served with vanilla ice cream and a sauce made from berries. I noticed other commenters also mentioned this dessert -- it was quite a sensory experience to end the meal. My friend was a big fan of the caipirinhas (the Brazilian national cocktail) prepared by the barstaff at Don Camillo, and he said they're the best he had in Rio.

The service at Don Camillo is very professional and attentive. If you want a table on the patio/deck (and I recommend this), the tables are a bit close, but not uncomfortably so. It gave us a chance to notice some of the other dishes people were having -- a "neighbor" ordered a Portuguese pizza with hardboiled egg and Kalamata olives that looked enticing. If you want a table after 9 pm, it's best to reserve in advance.