“Not a foodie, but I liked it all the same”
Review of Roberta Sudbrack - CLOSED

Roberta Sudbrack
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lagoa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,043 helpful votes
“Not a foodie, but I liked it all the same”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Don't like Oro…don't like Dom…not because they aren't great restaurants, but perhaps I just don't have the taste buds to appreciate them. That's undoubtedly why I always buy cheap (inexpensive wine).

I am not a foodie.

As such, on my second trip to Roberta Sudbrack in 5 years, I was wary of what was to come. It was my wife's Birthday and she wanted to go to some place new. I had avoided taking this place, but I was out of ideas, so I decided to let her decide for herself.

I called in advance and let them know the reservation was for a Birthday celebration…almost expecting them not to accept the reservation…imagine if I called Alex Atala out of the blue to make a birthday reservation? I would bet he would tell us to come back another day when we were interested in food…this was my fear when calling Roberta Sudbrack. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

We were received very warmly by the manager (sorry I did not catch her name). She made us feel right a home. All the other servers there after were as attentive, friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Note that I did use the word "friendly".

The room is nothing to write home about, but it was dimly light and attractive enough.

The food was interesting…small portions on a multi course offering. Liked some, didn't like others.

The best part for us was the warm service, which is typically lacking in these food-oriented places.

Thank for making this a memorable evening for us.

Was this helpful? Please let me know.

• Visited September 2013
6 Thank Knownews

London, United Kingdom
“bad bad bad food”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

we had an utterly disappointing experience at this hyped restaurant: dishes we tried were tasteless starting from a low quality salame and a ridiculous mandioca chip to finish with overly sweet petit mix. Staff was quite full of themselves and not competent: we expressed our negative views on starters and the waiter was laughing.....finally, the restaurant atmosphere is tense and unwelcoming, a mistery how they became popular in a beautiful, welcoming city like
Rio

• Visited December 2013
7 Thank alessandro p
Rome, Italy
“extremely disappointing”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The "experiencia Sudbrack" as they call it on the menu was terrible. It started with a couple of slices of salame, which the maitre recommended us to eat with our hands (really...how else are you supposed to eat it?). We were then served a "chef susprise", which was an incredibly plain chip (yes, one) with a flower and some cocoa powder on top. Warm cheese bread followed, which was ok. Our starter was ridiculous..one boiled onion on a bed of super salty dust of ham and sausage, with some stock added on top. I found this dish insulting and complained with the maitre who ignored me completely. The main course was duck and it was good. The dessert was an awful extra sweet combination if banana and chocolate and the petit four only tasted of sugar. The bill came at 650 reais with one bottle of wine. Also hated the atmosphere and the service...I was hoping to have an experience similar to DOM in Sao Paulo...instead had my only bad meal in Rio.

• Visited December 2013
5 Thank onlythetruth_19
London
“Disappointing and over-priced”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We had high expectations for this restaurant given it's position at number 10 in the world's 50 best Latin American restaurants. We took the five course tasting menu and both thought it was expensive for what it was. Whilst the dishes were nicely presented there was no individual dish that stood out. The main course of wagyu beef was good but was such a tiny portion of meat it was verging on the ridiculous. Sadly this restaurant does not even compare with Olympe which more than exceeded expectations.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank RicA73
St Peter Port
“Totally overprized, service and food are average”
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Not worth to go. We love to eat excellent food and we are ready to pay high class prices. But paying US Dollar 400 for a 5 course menu (incl. truffle) is incredible. If the food would be different that could be o.k. But all courses were on a level as in a good middle class restaurant. We were totally disappointed and would never go back there. I do not understand who can write positive reviews. High prices are not ever equal to high class food. Also the details were only average. I cannot remember one course which I could highlight. Sorry, if I were you I would avoid this place.

Visited November 2013