“Absolutely horrendous - avoid at all costs!!!”
Review of The Villa

The Villa
Ranked #180 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This hotel markets itself as an upscale boutique hotel. Given its isolated location (which we were aware of when we booked and was actually part of the appeal) and room rates (we booked one of the mid-range rooms and were set to pay EUR 220 a night), we were expecting something modern, clean and a bit "special".

I started to have doubts about the hotel before we even arrived, when the promised airport transfer from Rio de Janeiro international airport didn't turn up. When I phoned the hotel to chase up on the transfer, the lady who answered the phone spoke neither English nor Spanish, so I had real problems communicating and explaining the problem. After around 20 minutes of trying to express myself in the most straightforward Spanish I could use, the lady seemed to understand and said a taxi would arrive in 20 minutes or so.

Some 40 minutes later, we were greeted by a somewhat chaotic female taxi driver. She was friendly enough, but hardly made a professional impression, stopping at traffic lights to paint her nails (!) and wearing less than entirely clean clothes.

On arrival, we were taken to the reception area. This was when we started to realise that Rio 180 wasn't going to be the sort of hotel we expected. The table at reception was inch-think with dust, some of the chairs were broken and couldn't be used and the whole area seemed to be a hang-out zone for a large number of staff members who didn't seem to be doing much. Again, language was a huge problem. I speak 4 languages and certainly don't expect to find fluent English speakers everywhere on the globe, but for a hotel on a continent that is predominantly Spanish-speaking, I did expect to be able to communicate satisfactorily in Spanish.

We were taken to our room, which was separated by only a glass door (hardly secure) from the pool area. We were only in the room 2 minutes when we decided to leave immediately. The stench of damp was overwhelming, the furniture was dusty and the jacuzzi in the room was truly filthy. There was no safe (not very encouraging in a city hardly renowned for its safety) and the shower/bathroom area was moudly. The whole room was extremely dingy and dark. Please note that it bore absolutely no resemblance to the images on the website, which show bright rooms with modern furniture (the furniture in our room was wooden and worn) and a "design" feel.

My husband and I have stayed in numerous hotels across Europe, the US and Asia that cost a fraction of the price of Rio 180, and we've never encountered such a horrible room. We left within 5 minutes and took a taxi to one of the big hotels on the Copacabana, where we hardly paid much more and had a lovely, spotlessly clean room in a central location with excellent service.

We really wanted to avoid the big hotel chains and experience something of the "real Rio" (as many of the other reviewers have mentioned), but we didn't expect to pay EUR 220 a night for - frankly - squalid conditions.

Anyone considering this hotel can, indeed, expect a great view, but has to be prepared to accept very basic standards and a lax attitude to cleanliness. It's also worth noting that the hotel's location is very isolated and that you will need a taxi to get virtually anywhere (with taxis generally costing EUR 15 upwards).

It will take some time before I can erase the mental images of this horrible room from my memory. Very disappointing indeed!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Enchanted81

Reviewed September 16, 2011

I just spent 1 night in Rio 180, after carefully comparing with other beach-based hotels. Rio 180 has of course a great view, but most of all it has this small X-factor that make you feel like home. There are only 8 rooms so the staff is very careful and available. The hotel is indeed away from beaches (15min taxi) but anyway the Copacabana and Ipanema hotels are so noisy and over priced… At Rio 180 you can feel the heart of Rio. You hear the neighborhood living, you watch the sun rise over the city. It's calm and relaxing. Of course the amenities could be in a better state, but it seems to be very hard to get a decent hotel standard in Rio and good cleaning staff. So all in all, it's better to choose a charming hotel instead of a crowdy and unpersonal chain resort.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2011

A lovely hotel with beautiful views of Guanabara Bay. The girl on reception was very friendly and helpful alway answering my questions. I would definitely come back.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I`ve been in the hotel for a weekend with a friend. The room is huge and comfortable, the views are wonderful from every place in the hotel. The staff are very friendly and always ready to help. We will surely come back soon.

Room Tip: Suite Corcovado is the best one.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ncarvalho
Reviewed April 27, 2011

First of all, I'm french speaking but I think that to alert the maximum people about that place I should express myself with my poor english. Sorry.
I'm travelling quiet a lot and tend to see all kind of hotels. Some of them can be disapointing but I never wrote a bad comment, mainly not to waste my time I guess...
In that particular case I think it's compulsary to write about the stay we had.
My girlfriend and I were staying in a hotel in Santa Teresa since a few days but didn't book anything for easter weekend and we finally found and booked a room in Rio 180 for 3 nights. The hotel website looked really good, it's actually the only good thing about the hotel (with the view maybe). As a matter of facts, it seems that the web designer is really talented unlike the staff.
It takes only a few seconds to realise the poor conditions of the hotel: disgusting pool with electric cables coming out, no spa, no food, no bar, no service, rooms smells bad (to be polite), spiders in the jacuzzy, no safe (important if the staff needs cash), bed hasn't been changed in 3 days neither the towels, toilets with no door open on the bedroom (convenient for a romantic stay), the poorest breakfast we ever had in Brasil.
On our last night, we went to a restaurant and came back early since we had to leave very early the next morning. As we got in the room we checked our bags that we made ready before going for dinner and realised that our camera was missing and 400.- swiss francs. We went staight to the unfriendly "security guy" which happens to be at the same time: the front desk manager, the concierge and the general manage (not very convenient when the guy only speaks portuguese) and expained him the situation. His only reaction was to come to our room to check our bags and tell us that he could not do any thing for us. When I finally mentionned that we would call the police, the guy dropped the camera under the bed and said: "Look, I found it!!". Beeing pretty pissed off, we called a taxi to drive us on the other side of the city in Leblon to the touristic police of Rio. We ended up in the middle of the night going back to the hotel in a police car with 3 Rambos wearing bulet proof jackets with guns and M-16, trying to avoid the favellas (not the most relaxing experience but interesting). Not the best way to end up your vacations...

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank LouSteph55
Reviewed March 12, 2011

View is really amazing, staff nice, room design ,clean and large but main issue remains how to find a taxi to drive you back to hotel. Anyway you will have to be patient and accept to spent a lot of money to convince taxi or cause taxi totally lost and unable to find the adress. Night watchman is really kind and available .He makes taxi extra and can help .The Second point Breakfast is frugal and really expensive for what you have in plate. 4 toasts ,.2 slices of ham and 2 of cheese,one juice and a quarter of pineapple or mango .Third point swimming pool was dirty . Good point free internet available .

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jeanp22002
Reviewed December 19, 2010

We stayed for three days in early December and were thoroughly satisfied with our stay. We stayed in the Jardim Botanico room with a fabulous view over the city. From the balcony where breakfast can be served the views are even more panoramic. The room itself is well sized with a cool bathroom and is equipped with essential air con. The location of the hotel is somewhat lost amongst the beautiful houses at the end of Santa Teresa but its low profile location makes it a hidden gem; but be specific with taxi drivers on the address and if they know where it is. Walking to Santa Teresa centre takes about 40 minutes but it's a well worth it once for the scenery and architecture. The pool is great and also benefits from good views of the city. Breakfast included is decent.

The hotel has very good staff and an excellent driver come tourist guide called Anderson. Make sure you ask for him and have him collect you at the airport if you need. He also sorted us out admin like bus tickets to Paraty and spent a day driving us to the Corcovado and the Sugarloaf for a fair price.

Only slight negatives to report - the pool could have done with a clean of tree debris. The breakfast was of a good quality but maybe a little unimaginative. Some bathroom fixtures needed tightening and the shower was temperature inconsistent.

Overall we were very happy with our stay and can only recommend it. A far more rewarding experience than staying in Ipanema or Copacabana.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple