“Fantastic Place”

Books Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Place”
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in November 2013 with a good mate, left making 2 other good mates, 1 who travelled with us for the following 10 days.

First arrived late on a Friday night, still abit intimidated by Lapa as it was my first experience of South America straight off the flight. We had trouble with a cash machine and the kind guy gave us $150 until we paid him back, great trust! Was a great place to stay, awesome breakfast, incredible location in the heart of Lapa. It's a great place to stay, if you want somewhere which is plush and pristine don't come to Books but if you want somewhere where you can meet great relaxed people, be able to party and enjoy then it's for you.

Enjoy

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I can´t speak higher of the friendliness of the people at Books - staff and guests included. I had so much fun getting to know everyone there. The atmosphere is extremely friendly and fun.

The rooms are basic and the bathrooms are too but you don´t go to Books to spend time in your room.

Despite it being a party hostel, the music was turned off at midnight every day to make sure that people can sleep.

I loved my time there!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I did my check in and about 30 minutes latter I did my check out.

It wasn't my first time at a hostel so I know what to expect from one. The entrance was ok, the living room ok, the kitchen ok. I entered the bedroom and it was a mess, there were 3 berths and I literally had no space to put my bag anywhere. The sheets they gave me had maroon stains and had holes... I didn't wanted to know what happened with those sheets.

But when I went to the bathroom to take a shower I almost throw up! THERE WAS A LOT OF VOMIT AND POOP ALL OVER THE BATHROOM FLOOR!!

It was too much for me. Immediately I pick up my stuff and did the check out never to return again.

Room Tip: You just have to look foe a better hostel to stay. They are a lot near the area.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Camila_MC
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2014

What a wonderful place to spend a few days. The staff is awesome. The location is really cool too. Its in a bustling neighborhood where all the locals party every night. The only drawback was no AC on hot nights, but other than that we had absolutely no complaints. Don't miss the passionfruit caipirinha at happy hour!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed in Books for 3 nights in January with 3 of my girlfriends and loved it. The area is very laid-back, we didn't feel unsafe, rather at home actually at the simple corner bars where the beer was cold and plentiful. We stayed a couple nights in Ipanema as well, but preferred Lapa/Santa Teresa for its coziness.

This hostel fits into Lapa perfectly - the vibe from the streets and neighbourhood flows indoors making Books a great place to chill, meet new people, wait for happy-hour and get ready for the night ...or just be antisocial and play cards with your friends all night. Yes, it can get loud at night with noise from the street and also people in the hostel, but I think if you are aware and prepared for this, it shouldn't be a problem. The buzz of people is nice, but there are quiet moments for watching a movie, reading or surviving a hang-over during the day when most people are out exploring Rio.

The staff is really relaxed but still efficient and helpful - just the kind of people you'd want working in a hostel. The owner Felipe is super friendly and helped me out a lot with planning the rest of my trip. The breakfast is nice enough, the rooms and common areas were clean. The only thing I don't understand (in many places in Brazil) is the padded toilet seats...seriously in that heat. The pillows in the beds were fantastic - they were those ergonomic kind that shape according to your head! The kitchen was well equipped for cooking etc, which was nice since Rio is a bit on the expensive side when it comes to eating out. Books had everything we needed and expected and we were happy there!

Books seems to be a place where it is easy to get stuck and we surely would've loved to stay longer - luckily there is always next time :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank liisav123
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Placed in Lapa, this hostel is a party-hostel. There is a bar with good, cheap drinks, and loud music. The music gets turned off around 11 pm, but when it is on, you would hear it in all the rooms.

The hostel is close to center of Rio, far away from the beach. As solo, female traveler with blonde hair, I felt it uncomfortable walking around on my own.

The price is superb, and the breakfast awesome!

But the showers don't have enough water for more than 2 minutes showers, and the toilets do not have doors, But some plastic walls that you drag out.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Books Hostel is in the Santa Teresa/Lapa area, just up the hill from the main road.
This hostel is ideal for a solo traveller, because when the bar area gets busy at 7pm then you won't struggle for people to talk to.
Breakfast buffet is great and does the trick. Rooms are clean with lockers for storage.
Philippe and his staff were very informative when asked for advice on where to go.
There's always some sort of night out happening which was also good for travellers to meet.
We ended up staying 2 extra nights on top of our original 3 nights that's how good and comfortable it was.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends