“Best hostel in rio”
Review of Books Hostel

Books Hostel
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is rio! Very unique place with a great atmosphere - very lively, friendly and welcoming. During my stay i've met so many nice people and got so many nice advice from the hostel-team - you need help? Just ask them....I'll come back one day!

• Stayed: November 2011

Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. Loved how laid back it is and how you are made to feel like family. Staff would always help with what buses to catch or call taxis for you etc. The bunks were comfy new mattresses and memory foam pillows!!! Breakfast is very good! Felipe and the team do a brilliant job

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank roxy1486
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The hostel is located a couple of blocks from Lapa arches. It is within easy walking distance to two subway stations, Cinelandia and Gloria. Bus to/from the bus terminal stopped only about a couple of blocks from the hostel. Considering the size and how spread out the city is, I found the location convenient. It is on the border of Lapa and Santa Teresa neighborhoods.
The hostel had good vibe. It was not a party hostel. The bar serves cheap beer and very good caipirinhas. It closed at 11:00 every night, people left to party outside and the hostel got quiet. The hostel provided good balance. It was fun place to meet many people and also gave you the opportunity to get some rest. I have seen people of all ages in the hostel.
I stayed in two different dorms and have seen four others. All were spacious and well organized. The entire building (three levels) was well kept, nicely decorated, very clean and cleaned daily. The beds were clean and comfortable. 95% of the mattresses and pillows were new and of good quality. Linen was clean and good as well. There was a communal kitchen, living room with TV, nice courtyard, and plenty of good lockers, showers and WCs. All bathrooms I have seen were new or newer with new bright tiles. Rooms in the back are quieter. Rooms facing the street have some traffic noise.
Wi-Fi was strong and even reached my dorm. Breakfast was very good and certainly above average. Both were included in the rate. It was a good value.
Staff was excellent, hospitable and helpful. Everybody, from the breakfast lady, cleaning and reception staff to the owners/managers did their best.
I would rate this hostel in the top 5% of all hostels I have stayed in (I have now been to well over a hundred hostels ...) I can highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank povetron
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Books is a great hostel for solo travelers who value meeting others with whom to explore Rio. It has everything you need, including lockers, a casual bar, fridge, tv, and one hell of a good breakfast.

I spent Christmas here and was treated to an excellent meal put together by staff & guests. Felipe really puts his heart into running the place, and will give you excellent information about events, parties, and sights in Rio. Felipe also helped me organize a hang-gliding trip on my final day - an experience that I will never forget. Books is super casual, and really appeals to genuine travelers who are looking for a real Rio experience. Very cool place and definitely worth staying here.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Vinay R
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We were there one weekend for the champions leaque final and it was really great. although the hostel is in santa teresa you can just walk out of the hostel and take a bus (which the staff will tell you) and then you are off to just any place in Rio, never thought that it is that easy. Leblon, Ipanema, Christo, everything is easy to get there by bus.
The Rooms are "normal" for a hostel, but clean und nice, but the best things are the common room and the outside chill-out area. The Staff is really nice and there all party people and we had a great time there with a lot of international and brazilian people. Definitely a party hostel but if you just wand to hang out, its really nice aswell. Santa Teresa ist a nice spot too for some walks with the awesom stairs and stuff.
Best story about the stuff: we wanted to leave and were already at the airport where we couldn't book our flights because my creditcard wasn't working and we just had mine, so desperated like we were, we drove back to the hostel and asked for help. They just gave us 400 reais and trusted us, so we got home to sao paulo and payed the money back!!!!! SO nice!!!All what they said was: tranquilo!!! Definitely can recommend that hostel and if I'm staying in Rio again, I will stay there again.
Abracos dos alemaes!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank o alemao K
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed in Books hostel at the end of a visit to Rio which involved me staying in 5 different hostels whilst travelling round. Books is a good hostel that is very sociable in nature and the staff are really friendly and helpful. There is a bar that opens up at night which helps people socialise with one another and the staff organised a group outing to a local Jazz night that happens every Wednesday in a square not far from the hostel, completely free of charge.

I had a great time and enjoyed my stay. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to a friend. The decor is great fun too.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank warminger
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We returned here after a few days at Isla Grande we loved it that much! Its got a great party feel to it and the location near lappa street is perfect in the centre - especially for the Lappa street party. The owner Felipe is lovely and will do anything to help you. I know he has plans for the place too so i'm sure it'll get better and better! The outside area is great as everyone chills there, theres a huge lounge to nurse your hangover and loads of books and dvds. The shared bathrooms are decent, the rooms are basic but clean, and you get fresh sheets on arrival. They also make cocktails which are excellent!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends