“One of the best hostels …”
Review of Books Hostel

Books Hostel
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“One of the best hostels …”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The hostel is located a couple of blocks from Lapa arches. It is within easy walking distance to two subway stations, Cinelandia and Gloria. Bus to/from the bus terminal stopped only about a couple of blocks from the hostel. Considering the size and how spread out the city is, I found the location convenient. It is on the border of Lapa and Santa Teresa neighborhoods.
The hostel had good vibe. It was not a party hostel. The bar serves cheap beer and very good caipirinhas. It closed at 11:00 every night, people left to party outside and the hostel got quiet. The hostel provided good balance. It was fun place to meet many people and also gave you the opportunity to get some rest. I have seen people of all ages in the hostel.
I stayed in two different dorms and have seen four others. All were spacious and well organized. The entire building (three levels) was well kept, nicely decorated, very clean and cleaned daily. The beds were clean and comfortable. 95% of the mattresses and pillows were new and of good quality. Linen was clean and good as well. There was a communal kitchen, living room with TV, nice courtyard, and plenty of good lockers, showers and WCs. All bathrooms I have seen were new or newer with new bright tiles. Rooms in the back are quieter. Rooms facing the street have some traffic noise.
Wi-Fi was strong and even reached my dorm. Breakfast was very good and certainly above average. Both were included in the rate. It was a good value.
Staff was excellent, hospitable and helpful. Everybody, from the breakfast lady, cleaning and reception staff to the owners/managers did their best.
I would rate this hostel in the top 5% of all hostels I have stayed in (I have now been to well over a hundred hostels ...) I can highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank povetron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cusco, Peru
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Books is a great hostel for solo travelers who value meeting others with whom to explore Rio. It has everything you need, including lockers, a casual bar, fridge, tv, and one hell of a good breakfast.

I spent Christmas here and was treated to an excellent meal put together by staff & guests. Felipe really puts his heart into running the place, and will give you excellent information about events, parties, and sights in Rio. Felipe also helped me organize a hang-gliding trip on my final day - an experience that I will never forget. Books is super casual, and really appeals to genuine travelers who are looking for a real Rio experience. Very cool place and definitely worth staying here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Vinay R
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We were there one weekend for the champions leaque final and it was really great. although the hostel is in santa teresa you can just walk out of the hostel and take a bus (which the staff will tell you) and then you are off to just any place in Rio, never thought that it is that easy. Leblon, Ipanema, Christo, everything is easy to get there by bus.
The Rooms are "normal" for a hostel, but clean und nice, but the best things are the common room and the outside chill-out area. The Staff is really nice and there all party people and we had a great time there with a lot of international and brazilian people. Definitely a party hostel but if you just wand to hang out, its really nice aswell. Santa Teresa ist a nice spot too for some walks with the awesom stairs and stuff.
Best story about the stuff: we wanted to leave and were already at the airport where we couldn't book our flights because my creditcard wasn't working and we just had mine, so desperated like we were, we drove back to the hostel and asked for help. They just gave us 400 reais and trusted us, so we got home to sao paulo and payed the money back!!!!! SO nice!!!All what they said was: tranquilo!!! Definitely can recommend that hostel and if I'm staying in Rio again, I will stay there again.
Abracos dos alemaes!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank o alemao K
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed in Books hostel at the end of a visit to Rio which involved me staying in 5 different hostels whilst travelling round. Books is a good hostel that is very sociable in nature and the staff are really friendly and helpful. There is a bar that opens up at night which helps people socialise with one another and the staff organised a group outing to a local Jazz night that happens every Wednesday in a square not far from the hostel, completely free of charge.

I had a great time and enjoyed my stay. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to a friend. The decor is great fun too.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank warminger
Kingston-upon-hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We returned here after a few days at Isla Grande we loved it that much! Its got a great party feel to it and the location near lappa street is perfect in the centre - especially for the Lappa street party. The owner Felipe is lovely and will do anything to help you. I know he has plans for the place too so i'm sure it'll get better and better! The outside area is great as everyone chills there, theres a huge lounge to nurse your hangover and loads of books and dvds. The shared bathrooms are decent, the rooms are basic but clean, and you get fresh sheets on arrival. They also make cocktails which are excellent!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank tripmyadvice
manchester
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Stayed in rio during carnival 2011? Feline and lobu and the rest of the guys and gals were fantastic, they really made mine and johns stay. They worked there arses off day and nite. Like Clara mentioned, these people made our stay in rio, it was fantastic. There are plenty of tours you can go on. Party wise this is the best place to be during carnival. Don't get me wrong, it is edgy, and you need to be vigilant, but it's great. The real rio. Ipanema felt stale to me at night. If your in lapa, you wanna stay at books. P.s. there friend the artist owes me a painting, cachorro! Hahaha.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I only want to write here to congratulate Felipe and Lobo for having the best hostel in our four months trip, the one that maked us return to Rio twice and gave us a family there.

For sure Rio would not be the same for us without having stayed there, with brasilian people and in Lapa, which are things that I recommend for people who wants to get deep into Rio. In my experience I think that people who stay in Copa o Ipanema only for a security reason lose the essence of this caothic and magical city.

So, if you're a family, if you want to go to the beach the whole day and knowing the city from the surface, then stay in Copa. If you're young and love meeting people, party, staying at the street, knowing places only brasilian people go, see the real face of Rio, stay in Lapa.
And if you stay in Lapa, stay in Books.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends