“Great food in an old-fashioned and small restaurant”
Review of Shirley

Shirley
Ranked #140 of 13,709 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: Brazilian, Seafood, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Leme
“Great food in an old-fashioned and small restaurant”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Before entering the restaurant, you can see many different kind of fish through de display window. When you're inside, you realize how small the restaurant is and how close together the tables are. However, the restaurant's size is inversely proportional to the food quality. Being a fish lover or not, the food is definetely worth the visit - best salmon I've had in my life.

The menu offers a range of fish and seafood dishes, varying from spanish paella and zarzuella to codfish, sea bass, sole, snapper, prawn and salmon. Before serving the plate, the waiters show you the monster-size fish you're about to it. Besides, plates come with generous side dishes of vegetables, potatoes or rice. So, one plate can easily feed two people.

I would say the price is fair, from R$30 to R$80, considering the size of the fish served and the generous side dishes. The service could be better, though.

• Visited January 2013

• Korean first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great seafood meal!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This very small, obscure restaurant has wonderful fresh fish, but you do pay for it. The ambiance is quite simple and it was a quiet night, but you pick out what you would like to eat and then choose how you would like it prepared. My husband ordered grilled octopus which was exquisite and accompanied by a broccoli rice which was also wonderful. I ordered what they call shrimp which were at least the size of an adult hand. Although it was a good dish, they were prepared with a grill type of breadcrumb sauce which was a bit too salty for me ( I find a lot of food in Rio too salty). As a side dish they have mussels with oil & onions which is a must taste! They also had a red sauce, but we did not try that. All in all, a very expensive meal, but if you like seafood & have the budget, I would recommend it.

• Visited January 2013
Brooklyn NY
“Good service, need to improve on the food”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our tour guide recommended this place as the best seafood place in town. Well, we had a different opinion.

The service was very good. Quick, though not the best English, we communicated with very little difficulty.

The menu is great and full of options. The fish is fresh.
We tried Sangria which was great. Soups were very good too. Large portion.

Stuffed calamari were not stuffed at all. They were fried with some sort of brazilian sause on a side. The calamari were soggy. overall not what we expected.

The entries, we chose grilled fish of the day and octopus risotto. If you dont like safron, don't go here. They use it in all entries and in large quantities. The fish was good though saffron was getting to us. The risotto was not really a risotto. Lets just say for R$98, i wasn't sure what it was, but we barely touched it.

The place is full of potential but needs to improve.

Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“Classic”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

A great jewel in hiding. This is one small and "old time charm" restaurant. The waiters are as professional as one can ask for. Not speaking Portuguese I went for a Salmon special with potato's and didn't really no what to expect. The waiter actually brought the uncooked Salmon to the table for my approval. Classic! There was a bit of a wait before my meal arrived but the place was full capacity on a Wednesday. Upon receiving my meal it was a little under cooked for my taste. The waiter promptly returned it to the kitchen and was back on the table quickly. All in all a great experience, fantastic meal and a return visit is planned.

• Visited November 2012
Houston, Texas
“Terrible!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just cash. It takes a long time to the food be prepared (I've been there more than once and the food always takes about 50minutes to arrive!) and you cantor really fell the taste. The good thing about it is that you have best restaurants nearby....

Visited December 2011