“Sea food heaven”

Neighborhood: Ipanema
Sao Paulo, Brazil
“Sea food heaven”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I believe Satyricon is one of the best restaurantes in Rio. Just after the bar counter at the entrance you will see a big table that resenbles a fish market stand, with lots of raw fish and sea food. Start with the fish carpaccios, thin slices of different kinds of raw fisch, each one scorted by its sauce, a symphony of flavours. You may continue with squid (superb), octopus, shrimps or fish, because everything is excellent here. The wine list, with an emphasis but not limited to whites, is very comprehensive: last time I had a great south african chardonay. Friendly service and nice environment, although not cheap, because the ingredients are very fresh and cannot be stored.

• Visited January 2013

• Turkish first
London,England
“Highly rated and deservedly so.”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Satyricon is considered to be one of Rio's best (or the best) fish restaurants and based on our experience we would agree. Very attractive and tasteful design and tables always filled with both visitors (early) and locals (later). We ordered "fish of the day" specials and both (grilled red snapper and another red snapper baked in a delicious wine and herb sauce) were excellent. A Brazilian Chardonnay was rather more than decent and a real bargain vs. imports. Service is professional albeit not overly friendly due to (our) language limitations. And they even serve a very good dry Martini! Our fish dishes were comparable to the best we have had in many, many years of fine dining.

• Visited February 2013
Portland, Oregon
“made me very happy”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

had some many good things, was hard to say which was best.
would not miss this place.
great wine list as well.
I had fresh sea urchins, fresh scallops, followed by their grilled octopus, I was so busy eating mine, not sure what my wife was eating, think salmon, she was very happy as well

Visited February 2013
Bermuda
“Stylish, buzzy Rio restaurant with attention to detail and excellent service”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We visited for my niece's birthday and the entrance with its raw bar and the decor is very impressive. Our food was very good - my sister had the fish cooked in salt which is a specialty which was superb and the food relied on the intrinsic taste rather than fussy cooking. Service impeccable and wine selection was one of the best of our visits in Rio. I would give it 4.5 out of 5. I cannot comment on the cost as my sister was paying, except to assume that it is pretty expensive even by Rio standards.

• Visited December 2012
Oslo, Norway
“Good location, tasty food, average staff”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Location and welcome.
Very nice facade, doorman welcomes you, you walk trough a nice bar with a welcoming woman taking your reservation You walk past several tanks of fresh lobster and seafood. There's even a really nice section with a lot of fresh fish on ice and a man making sushi.. Another waiter takes you to your table. Everybody greets you with a smile. Main room is nice, spacey and with dimmed lights. In the far back you have a garden style room with more tables. We chose one in the main room against the wall.

Staff
Staff is friendly and speaks some English, enough for them to understand what you are ordering, and any inquiries. But, we got the wine map first without the menu, which made it difficult to choose a wine to go with your meal, in fact, we didn't get the menu at all, I had to go and get a couple after waiting 15 minutes, and almost drinking a glass of wine. No worries, as long as the food is good, this is merely a small bump in the road. Another small minus for me is that after initial wine testing, they didn't fill up our wineglasses. Never seen this before in this type of restaurant. But, what the hell...

Menu and food
Wow, large menu with Italian food, pastas, seafood and meat. They even had sushi, some really expensive sushi, which I bet is really good. We were more keen on some good South American meat so I went with a sirloin with tagliatelle and my girlfriend went with a steak in pepper-sauce.

Food came quite quickly, but what an awful presentation. My plate was just filled with a creamy tagliatelle and a steak. My GF got her filet, with dry french fries, pepper sauce on the side and green peas. Looked like any random street cafe plate of meat, but I have to say, it tasted really good. I just wish they did more with the presentation to make it more appealing.

All in all a good experience, but too expensive for what you get, quality wise. And they charged us for the bread couvert, some 15 dollars a head or something. Maybe this is usual, but I like to know what I'm paying for especially when it seems to be free.

We paid roughly 120 USD for two main courses and two cheap glasses of wine.
Don't think we'll come back, don't get me wrong, It's a great restaurant, but I like Guiseppe's in Leblon sooo much better.

• Visited February 2013