“Such a beautiful place to feast on pastries!”

Confeitaria Colombo
Ranked #7 of 153 Dessert in Rio de Janeiro
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is definitely my kind of place! It's an institution based in Centro Rio. The place just takes you back...waaaaay back! The decor is just amazing. Service was pretty good too. There was a long line when we arrived but it moved fast enough I suppose given how very long it was. The selection here is so big! I would say the quality is not the best but I think this place makes up for it in ambiance and variety. My mom ordered the afternoon tea special and she really loved how soft the bread was. We tried many things among the 4 of us, including the capirinha tart, passion fruit tart, Portuguese Belem tart, hazelnut tart, walnut tart, chocolate cake, and tiramisu. Everything wasn't bad I guess but the desserts here definitely look better than they taste. My favorite was actually the tiramisu. Stop by and treat yourself!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Its a must see ( the one located dowtown), but dont waste your money with the food wich is disgusting. Have a drink there and go to for alda maria in santa tereza, if you want exquisite portuguese pastry. In their adress inside forte de copacabana, they had the nerve to sell me a frozen "pastel de santa clara"

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Colonial style, noisy, magnificent when crowdy! Very nice food. One portion serves two! Great salads, delicious cakes. Nice fourniture. A very well kept treasure, worths a visit! If you have time, try the restaurant on the first floor! Definetelly one of the iconic places at Rio!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I went to their Saturday Feijoada Buffet Lunch as recommended by several travel books. The cost was R$69 or US$41!!! For that price, I can get a buffet lunch in the Canada, USA, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipei, etc. which will include raw oysters, crabs, some places even lobsters & crabs, sashimi, seafood, prime rib, etc. Instead this place had 9 pots of the similar-tasting bean stew except the meats were different: beef, Portuguese sausage, pork rib, pork tongue, pork ears, pork feet & tails, 7 varieties plus beans & just broth. They also have a small salad bar and a food bar of fried chicken, fried pork skin (chicharrón), rice, fries, and sausage links. Lastly they did have a fabulous dessert bar. All drinks are extra. I ordered water and the waiter brought a small plastic bottle of water which I was charged R$5 or R$6. I was afraid to order coffee after dinner. I guess people go there and pay heavily for the ambience (which is like old-time Rio) or to be seen, but I am one of those that don't care about ambience, just good food.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Located in the centre of Rio, this place is stunning! The decor takes your breath away and selection of food and pastries is excellent. Service was good, with menus available in different languages. It is definitely worth a visit: walk around Rio and stop at the confeitaria for a lunch - well worth your time!

1  Thank AlisaCanneberge