“where not to stay...”

Ranked #276 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“where not to stay...”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Unfriendly staff, dirty rooms, shower and toilet not working, dont stay there it is just no fun. there so much nicer places next door like harmonia or casa6, so why live in a nightmare!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank whyagain

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Santo Andre, SP
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I was on GFI for four days. The beds were confortable, just the room was really hot, even with the fans, and small for 10 beds. The bathrooms were clean, always had paper and just once the floor was really wet and disgusting, but most of the times it was really clean. The lady cleaned our room everyday. The breakfast for 3 reais is worth it, although the website says it was free. The good part is the awesome staff, everybody always ready to help (specially Jack), and the nice courtyard: the hostel is in a small village with lots of hostel. A pitty everyone needs to get out and stop drinking/hanging out on the yard by 10pm. Great place to meet people, too

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Me and my boyfriend stayed here on 2 occasions during our trip. The first stay was purely by luck of bumping into a hostel with availability for one night with a private room. We had bunk beds but did not mind and the room was very cheap. The hostel is very run down and the not so clean. The towels are old too. The only reason we stayed here for a second time was because we decided to stay in Rio longer and the nicer hostel we were in could not accommodate us for another 2 nights. Also we made friends with people on our first night and as they were still there we thought why not. Our second room however was disgusting! I’m almost sure they had not cleaned it and there was a funny pongy smell coming from somewhere. My towel was dirty but they changed that for me. The room had an ensuite but be aware that the door is clear and you can see whoever is on the toilet. I’m not sure which room this was but it was at the back of the main lounge area. The good thing about this was after hours this area was locked up and only 2 rooms have a key with access to the TV, dvd player, internet etc. Saying all that the staff were great, they had made a huge effort in preparing books with excursions and recommendations on restaurants, clubs, shops including prices. It was also a great place to meet people who wanted to party and we made some amazing friends. Overall if you are not fussy and you want to meet people then stay here. If you want something a bit nicer stay at the Mango Tree hostel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed June 23, 2010

i was extremely satisfied with my stay in Girl from ipanema!!!
Great staff, marvelous location and, most important of all, awesome timing since it was carnival and all the parties were just a few streets away!!!!!
i recommend the experience!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Excellent Location in a gated street with 6 other hostels. Cheapest of all 6 (we checked the price of each one!). Very friendly staff - in particular Jack and Mano - absolute legends! Stayed here for 7 days, Mano & Jack gave us tips & advise everyday - they were so helpful. Breakfast guy deserves a mention too - nicest guy in the world - makes your breakfast for you even when u dont pay and washes up after you! :)

Clean Rooms - towels, toilet paper all included! We stayed in a private four bed dorm just off the main reception area - was absolutely huge compared to some of the hostels we stayed in in Bolivia, Peru & Argentina and came with a huge private bathroom.

We had a look at the dorms too (there were people in our private room who hadnt checked out yet so we couldnt look at it), they were very large compared to other hostels weve seen and were very clean.

Very comfortable reception area with free internet and a large flatscreen tv - perfect for world cup matches!:) Large chill out kitchen area - nice, friendly atmosphere among all the guests. Full kitchen facilities available - water, tea and coffee facilities too!

Our room had a fan and air conditioning too :) Beds were also very comfy!

Would defo recomend this hostel to any backpackers who are looking for a nice, clean place to stay in a good location, 5 minutes from the beach ... & Mc Donalds!! :)

Also - the hostel can organise literally any trip you want the day before, when you walk in the reception area is covered in tips and there are loads of folders with things to do while in Rio.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank uu3
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This hostel is really good. All the staff are so friendly and they are great for advice on tourist attractions and on night life. The room was so clean and really spacious. Bathroom was really good. Hot water 24 hours. The kitchen could be a little bit bigger and have more than one frying pan but apart from that is was really clean with a proper cooker. The hostel is in a little community. There is constant security and the location is really safe. It is about 5 minutes from the beach in Ipanema. There are really nice restaurants, bars and loads of different supermarkets right beside the hostel. Really recommend this place. All age groups were present when I was there so it´s ideal for everyone. One of the best places that I stayed in all of South America

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank beretbyrne
Paris
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I was physically assaulted by the owner of The Girl From Ipanema Hostel. I don’t know what the laws are in Brazil, but if this had happened in the United States, it would be considered assault and battery, a serious crime. Here is what happened:

Manok, the owner had told us that while he would reserve a room for us on our return from Ilha Grande. While he could not promise us the same room we had stayed in for two weeks, he said it would be comparable.

When we returned, Mano said he had a room and that his assistant would show it to us.
When she showed us the room, we found it totally unsatisfactory; it was just off the room where all the backpackers gather to socialize, do their internet business and watch television. It also had the large office computer in it and no exterior windows. When we told his assistant that it just wouldn’t do, she showed us another room up the stairs. It didn’t have a private bath, but was quieter and we told her we would take it. Then we unpacked, found that the wifi worked in the room, went downstairs to give the girl our passports and paid for the room and the key deposit Then we left for an hour or so.

When we came back, my wife stopped to buy some vegetables and I waited for her in the TV room at the hostel. While I was standing there the manager came up and said that there was a problem. A group of five needed the room we had booked and paid for and the staff had moved our baggage down to the room we had rejected. I politely, but firmly told her that that was unacceptable. We had registered, paid for the room, moved in, and it was ours. I asked that she return our luggage upstairs. She called Mano, but he would not authorize her to have our luggage returned to our room and refused to even talk to me. As I had the key, we took our things back up to the room, removed the clothes and luggage of the others, and placed them in the hall.

Then we settled in again, locked the door, and started checking our email. About a half hour later Mano, using his key, barged in without knocking, yelled at me to get out, grabbed my suitcase and took it downstairs. While he did that I tried to barricade the door with a bed. Unfortunately, I didn’t do it well enough and Mano charged in again. Then he tried to grab my pack and computer from me and physically assaulted me and tried to throw me to the floor. When it became apparent that he not only had no qualms about using violence, but was out of control I started yelling “Help. Someone call the Police! Police!”, as loud as I could. It did no good. Mano physically overpowered me and took our things from us, tore the sheets off the bed and left us in the empty room.

My wife helped me up, and we went downstairs to try and salvage our things which had been left in a pile. Mano gave us our payment and key deposit back and told us to get out. It was no use to argue that it was after nine at night and it would be difficult to find a place. All the backpackers watched the whole encounter in silence.

As Trish and I were looking for another place to stay, we ran into the manger on the street. She was quite upset and tried to help us find a place. She told us she would be quitting soon.

Unfortunately, the experience defecated on our otherwise pleasant memories of Brazil.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple