“Very simple and very good food”
Review of File de Ouro

File de Ouro
Ranked #144 of 13,850 Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
Cuisines: Brazilian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Lagoa
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Simple day by day food in large portions for the whole family served with an also large 3cm high steak.We always choose the Oswaldo Aranha steak type.It´s the champ.The steak itself is the star. One of the bests in Rio de Janeiro. That´s why de restaurant is called Filé de ouro ( Golden Steak)
As an entry we always order " bolinhos de bacalhau" (codfish/potato balls).
Try to arrive before 1pm to avoid waiting to be seated.

There are newer reviews for File de Ouro

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The steak is good, not doubt about that. But it isn't hard to find a good steak in Rio. And there are so many options with much better service and atmosphere. So don't go there.
I went there for lunch today and the service was dreadful. My steak was raw so I asked the waiter to grill it a bit more. 20 minutes later I had my steak but all the side dishes were cold. Then I asked him to replace them. He did it quickly but brought much smaller portions of everything.
I complained and he insisted they weren't smaller. I asked or more fries and beans. One hour later I got the fries - at this point the right amount - and beans but of course I had already finished my steak and wasn't hungry anymore.
I complained with the manager. He listened but no apologies at all.
Filé de Ouro never again.

2  Thank gnows
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This restaurant has a very good steak and fries meal, with rice, black beans and "farofa" (kinda of scrambled eggs with manioc flour). It´s typical urban home-made Braziian food. Simple ambience, familiar atmosphere. Don´t forget to try the "bolinhos de bacalhau" (codfish croquettes) - awesome. Not too expensive, but not cheap, with a good cost/benefit relation.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

you can share because the serve huge pieces of steak. Good food. Not expensive when sharing one plate. Big lines on Saturdays and Sundays. Closed on Mondays.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I love this place! It's unpretensious, casual and perfect for a real "carioca" meal. I am from Rio, so when I go to Filé de Ouro feels like I'm eating my grandma's food.

It's a perfect place to have a delicous meal after a walk in Rio's Bothanic Garden.

My favorite dish is the "File Oswaldo Aranha": Filet Mignon with white rice, black beans and very crispy potatoes chips. I love it!

Desserts are not so special there, so after having lunch in File de Ouro I often take a little walk to "Mil frutas" an ice cream shop few blocks away.