Imperial Hotel
PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)
$180
$162
  • Pool
Praia Ipanema Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)
$196
$186
$248
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Copacabana Posto 2(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$70
ibis
Ipanema Inn(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$170
$147
$277
$226
  • Beachfront
Mar Ipanema Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$123
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Windsor Excelsior Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$156
$139
  • Pool
Brisa Barra Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$91
  • Breakfast included
Midas Rio Suites(Rio de Janeiro)
$47
$46
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Had a 6 night stay at the Imperial from March 23 to March 29th. As stated before it's an old hotel but it served my needs.

Pro's: Close to the metro, which I used everyday.

Basically between centro and copacabana.

Breakfast, although the only hot food was scrambled eggs in one bin and wieners in another. Plenty of fruits and breads.

I got the suite so plenty of room.

Pool and gym.

All the receptionist that I spoke to spoke English.

Plenty of stores and restaurant around. I usually went to centro to eat about 35% cheaper there.

Cons: The air conditioner only got the room cool not cold. Yes, it was hot in Rio but I think the combination of a large room and a single wall mount airconditioner didn't help.

One of the reasons I choose this hotel was the gym to workout a little. Unfortunately, they were re-doing the floor so I couldn't use the gym. The pool was open.

Rooms were okay but bland.

It seemed to take forvever for the hot water to come on in the shower. Once it did, it was fine.

As suggested before, if it's your first time to Rio, it would probably be better to get a room in Copacabana or Ipanema. This hotel fit my needs for this trip so no complaints.

Almost forgot, one day I had laundry to do. I took it to the front desk around 10:00 and I thought it would be back the next day. When I got back into the hotel around 21:00. The clean laundry was back in my closet. That was great customer service.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank gmon
Reviewed February 21, 2012

The Imperial Hotel in Rio is a disgrace, not so much in terms of the accommodation which it provides, but in the way it rips off its guests. Specifically, I had my credit card wallet stolen in Rio and need to make a phone call to Sentinel Gold, with whom I have card protection and insurance. They provide a reverse charge number for calls from abroad which I used. This was explained to the staff of the hotel, but they charged my wife (I had no card by then) £101-07 for that call which lasted about 15 minutes. This was for a call for a call which cost the hotel nothing. This is dishonest behaviour and a total disgrace. The same hotel also charges an exorbitant rate to use their computers at about £7 per hour and they also charged us for use of the strong box for 3 days when we were there for 2 days. In addition, the double bed which we had was very narrow, the air conditioning was noisy and the shower room so small that it was almost impossible to dry oneself without ending up in the toilet. Finally, if you visit the website of the hotel, it has a picture of a very attractive white painted building which bears no relation to the place where we stayed, which is on a very busy and rather dirty street .Do not use this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank colinmsmith100
Reviewed December 23, 2011

An excellent hotel, marked as 3 stars but service is like 4.

Pretty nice rooms, but ask for the rooms in the back near the swimming pool. Those are the best ones and are closest to the nicest things about the hotel. Something really great I did was use the exercise gym for a bit, then hop right into the pool, then hit the sauna to relax.

Situated in the Catete neighborhood, it's the perfect place. Very safe. 50 meters out of the hotel to the right is the Big Bi juice bar. a great place for an Acai, or fruit juice. This place is also within 5min walking distance to the Catete Palace, a historical place with a beautiful garden. A great find in Rio de Janeiro!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Nico_bigollo
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Excellent local hotel in the low to mid price range. Very attentive staff. Excellent location across the street from the old Presidential Palace in a very colonial part of Rio de Janeiro. Very convenient to Metro and Taxi. Very clean with excellent breakfast included. Between downtown business district and tourist districts of Copacabana and Ipanema.

Room Tip: I chose the deluxe room with double bed. They have very inexpensive, small rooms with single bed, but I wanted American style comfort.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank William K
Reviewed September 4, 2011

If you want a crowded street, full of small shops and lots of people walking until late at night, that's the best option in Rio. I stayed there twice. During my first visit, I've got a room far away from the crowded Catete street, but in the second one I've got a room with a nice view of this historical street in Rio. I've had a hard time trying to sleep.

As for the location, it just couldn't be better. It's right in front of a subway station and there are many options of shopping within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business