“Uber zen, artistically inspired PARADISE with the most lovely hosts”

Hotel Pousada Guarana
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Paraty
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Stayed here for 2 days with my mom and we both fell in love with this magical pousada! The peaceful energy, artistic touches, gorgeous gardens and scrumptious breakfast make this place a true treat. The owners, David and Jimena, really go above and beyond to make guest's feel welcome and can definitely help you with on point recommendations. For those that need, there is also high speed internet available and a large DVD and book collection. I highly recommend staying here and hope I get to go back!

• Stayed: November 2010

Reviewed November 6, 2010

David and Jemina welcomed me warmly in their great pousada in September. I simply can not think of one reason not to chose to stay at least of couple of days here. The day starts with the best breakfast ever (still missing their fresh cakes every day!) followed by some great tips to spend the day and some restaurant options for lunch and dinner. To go around they have some bikes you can take along on your way to old town paraty and the bus to all the great beaches stops within a couple minutes walk.
Even when I was not feeling well, they checked on me regularly and made sure I felt comfortable and their lovely dogs and cats kept me company.
I recommend this beautiful and relaxing pousada to everyone who is looking for what feels like a place like home.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 14, 2010

This is another glowing but honest review. Wonderful wonderful stay for 3 nights, I was really sad to be leaving. David and Jimena are such lovely people, together with their friendly flurry family members. We were made so welcomed and the pousada is incredibly cozy and homy. It was my first time to Brazil and Paraty and I could not have wished for a better start of my trip. Paraty itself is a beautiful small town. The pousada is located outside of the old town and its about 15-20 minutes walking distance and 5-7 minutes bike ride. We had no problem getting to town and David had recommended a very scenic bike route along the canal and a number of cool restaurants and things to do. The pousada is simple but very tastefully decorated, it beats any other 5 star hotels I have stayed in and I have never felt more like home. Stay there, you won't regret it. I would go back to Paraty again just to visit David and Jimena and the flurry ones.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We really liked the hostel, the strong point are the tips that give owners.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Bottom Line: If you are an "estrangeiro", this is the place to stay. Se vc eh um brasileiro meu sugestão eh por vc ficar neste hotel tbm!!!!

Ok, so typically when I read great reviews from Trip Advisor or other sites, I am REALLY skeptical and when I saw all the high ratings, I had doubts, especially with the fact that I never stayed in a Pousada before (many hotels in Brasil, but never a Pousada).

I made a good choice.

First: Hosts and Service (A+)
The hosts David (an American) and Jimena (Brasileira) are the nicest people you will ever meet. They were very friendly, accommodating and willing to take the time out to tell you about various locations to visit see etc., They have been living there a while (they live on premises) so they know the area pretty well. These people make you feel welcomed and like friends/family. You actually feel guilty about leaving!

Second: The Facilities and Room: (A-)
The rooms are spacious, functional and simple with interesting architecture. The bed is fine (generally King size beds with Pillows). The Wifi (I needed to do work), was very functional. Overall the place (including the common areas like the swimming and dining areas are clean and very well maintained). They have games (board games) in case you want to hang out at the Pousada and you can borrow a DVD player and watch movies in the room. The breakfast, which is included in the rate, is prefect and catered really well.

The only things that I COULD complain about was the TV did not work to well and the showers were not that warm (but you are not in Parati to watch TV and the shower temperature was not a big deal). Again nothing that should you prevent you from coming here.

Third: Rate/Value (A)
I made my reservation at the last minute so my diaria was a little high (but still reasonable based on other Pousadas were charging at the time) as the weekend I was there, there was a festival (de cachaca) in centro Paraty. But if you book in advance, the normal rate $70 USD +/- is very reasonable.

Four: Location (A)
The location is in Paraty but not downtown/centro. Which for me was just fine as I wanted quiet when it was time to go to sleep (there is a lot of noise/music downtown late at night). It is only 1km to downtown and if you need to walk you can, or you can borrow a bike. No big deal, not just because of the distance to downtown, but odds are you'll be going to be beaches (Trindade or Goncalo) or waterfalls (Penha), thus the location is actually PEFRECT. If you have a car/rental/group bus (which I recommend as an estrangeiro), the location in relation to downtown Paraty is a non-issue.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2010

David and Jemina and everyone that works for them made me feel at home from the moment I arrived (even if it was late at night after check-in hours). The cleanliness, attention to detail and artwork of the Pousada were a joy to experience and all the assistance with travel, trips and ensuring I had everything I needed ensured it was a restful hassle free stay. And the pets are wonderful too. Oh and so is the breakfast... and the high speed internet!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I can only think of 3 reasons NOT to stay here: 1) you don't like to walk/bike, 2) you don't like animals, and/or 3) you absolutely must have a steaming hot shower. If none of these describes you, then DEFINITELY stay here. The hosts, the food, the hammocks, the music, the art, the immense dvd library -- just the whole vibe -- it's all fantastic. I felt totally at home and relaxed here. It's almost like staying at someone's vacation home rather than at a hotel. And the little things are just lovely. Examples: often they'll put out leftover cake from breakfast in the evening; Gustavo thoughtfully moved our umbrellas before he went home to make sure the cats didn't get to them overnight; David drove us into town one evening just to be nice. I have travelled a lot, and while I've stayed in fancier places, I've never stayed in one I liked more than Pousada Guaraná.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends