Firstly the 3/5 stars on Tripadvsior is described as 'average' - that is unfair in this instance, I would describe this place as 'good'. Also, it's worth noting that during my stay the owner was away on holiday himself so I didn't get chance to meet him.
The Pro's: Nice spacious room, excellent pool area, good breakfast choice in a lovely setting, polite staff, quiet location, comfortable communal area.
The Cons: Shocking wifi connection considering how luxurious the Pousada is - this is a common theme in Brazil but if some, even lower end places can get it right then so should everyone.
The staff who were working at the resort whilst Ben was away were, as stated all very nice people. But....they spoke no English. None. One might ask why should they? I'm not arrogant, I have motivated myself to learn a reasonable level of Spanish and it's wong in some instances to expect people to always be fluent in English. But this is the tourist industry and my suggestion would be that they are encouraged to learn - perhaps a condition and in my view a bonus of their employment should involve English lessons. Everyone would win.
The place can feel rather souless. When I learned Ben was from Birkenhead - a town only 10 minutes from where I live I kind of expected some kind of indication his heritage lay on Merseyside. Perhaps a photo of Camel Laird in it's hey day or a ferry docked at Woodside. But there's nothing from either England or Brazil - and lets remember that Paraty is a pretty colonial town. That's just a thought though.
My last negative would be that staff should cover ALL and not some of the breakfast items up to protect from insects. We can't prevent them being there but it would be easy to cover the food up 100% - the breakfast was very good otherwise.
In summary I would recommend this place. The journey to town is a 30 minute walk or 20R$ Taxi but then guests will know that before they book. I would say the walk is safe but it is poorly lit after dark. Take a taxi.
If people are looking for an affordable and pleasant place to stay then Bambu Bamboo is good solid option and hopefully the owners may read this review and consider some of the points I've made going forward
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A modern, comfortable and relaxing pousada close to the Historic Centre of Paraty. Highly respected for providing guests with genuinely friendly and personal service. Twelve comfortable suites (Garden Suites complete with private patios and garden). Superior Loft Suites built on two floors complete with two bathrooms and living area. Aircon, quality linens and original art works come as standard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire and Travelocity so you can book your Pousada Bambu Bamboo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pousada Bambu Bamboo Paraty, Brazil
- Pousada Bambu Bamboo Hotel Paraty