“Great stay a Paraty Che Lagarto”

Che Lagarto Hostel Paraty
Ranked #6 of 275 Specialty Lodging in Paraty
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was there a few days and I had an awesome time, the staff was very friendly and ready to help in any way.
I was traveling by myself and there I met a few people and we share activities and even travel and met in Rio after Paraty, definitely a place to have fun and meet new international friends.
Special 5 stars for Candelaria at the Kitchen
Junior at the bar
and los chilenos del front desk.
Gracias

Room Tip: Get a private room with your own bathroom is not too much of a difference in price and is worth it t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 1, 2012

My wife and I drove the 6 hours to paraty from Santos in the south. We found a brilliantly bright and clean small guest house with a large garden and swimming pool. The staff spoke English and were exceptionally friendly and efficient. There was upwards of 50 younger people than us. We are in our 60s but most were 20s and 30s. Breakfast was help yourself and sit outside under cover in the garden. At night an excellent meal as much as you could eat for around 20Rs per person. trips were also arranged from the door. all in all an excellent week and at the price, value for money ! Would strongly recommend.

Room Tip: Sharing makes the price much cheaper !
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in November and really enjoyed the location right next to the "Old City" and the waterfront. The garden, seating, pool and bar area created a cool oasis and a nice place for breakfast, dinner and to just chill out or use the wi-fi to catch up with family and friends.
The reception crew and bar staff made us very welcome (even though were the oldest there by about 30 years!) and helped greatly with tour information and bookings.
The private room/bathroom was more than adequate. The air conditioning worked well and the showers were hot. The hostel was quiet late at night so sleeping was good. Breakfast was plentiful and good variety and the nightly dinners were delicious and great value!
The beers were icy cold and the Caparinhas beautiful and delivered with great panache by the talented barman who could juggle and twirl like a champion!
Highly recommended, even for us oldies!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was in Che Lagarto from the 10th and 11th of November, as it was recommended to me as a very nice hostel, which it was apart from a receptionist speaking castellano/spanish (curly brown hair) that made my stay half of the "nice" that it could be.
She looked at me ungry when I gave her a 50 reais note to pay for 2 drinks...I said sorry, I really didn't have the change but she just looked at me ungry without saying a word a gave the change back....which I understand if you running out of money at the tills BUT in another situation I went to her just to let her know that the ladies toilet was really dirty, she just stared at me and said nothing!!! as if is none of her business, and the third time, which I considered the worst, I went to her to ask for a "fronha" she said: what's a fronha?????I said a pillowcase please, as I realised I slept without one in the previous night (I already wasn't too happy about that) and THEN, the miss sympathy comes back with something nicely folded, but only to me to find out when I was back in the room that it was a used pillowcase smelling bad of some one else sweat!!!! Disgusting!!!! Sooooo, yes, she pissed me of and for that I wasn't so happy at Che Lagarto in Paraty...everything else was ok!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I spent 2 nights and I had a great time.
The staff is very friendly and international.
The location is great, just a few steps and you are in the historical center.
And if you arrive by bus is closer to the station.
Easy to meet people from around the world, especially during the night meals by the bar/pool.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hostel is very nice, with a beautiful garden and clean rooms. Very sociable ambient with friendly staff and themed dinners every night (almost forgot, amazing caipirinhas!). Free internet (although sometimes we had to wait a while for the computers to be free). The breakfast was really good and abundant. A recommendation is to check prices for excursions in some of the many agents in town before organising through the hostel reception: we found out that some of the trips would have been cheaper

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hostel definitely has a great vibe. We stayed for 3 nights and there were always lots of people in the common areas, enjoying drinks from the bar or whatever food special the hostel was offering that night.

Staff were quite friendly although very scatterbrained. When we arrived we were given the key to a private double room that was already occupied (lucky for those people we are honest and just returned the key...). That incident prompted concerns about security so we decided to use a locker in the common area to hold our valuables when we went out the next day. Good thing we did because when we returned they couldn't find our key at reception. I went up to the room and it was open. A cleaning lady was in there and left quickly when I came in. I thought it was strange because we'd been out for hours and it was nearly 6pm by then - little late for housekeeping. Then I noticed that someone had rifled through our bags while we were out. They didn't make much effort to do it discreetly either... but nothing was missing. Probably weren't interested in our clothes.

We also found out that we were being charged a MUCH higher rate than the hostels regular room rate (posted on their website and other hostel booking websites). When I inquired about this and asked to be offered the advertised rate I was told they could give it to me for our final night only. Why? Because those are "promotional" rates. Right... thanks for ripping us off R$30 per night Che Lagarto.

Breakfast had a lot of variety but was always a disaster. Dirty dishes, empty trays... every morning I had to ask for something to be replenished even though there were tons of staff members standing around in the kitchen.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the bathroom drains in the private double we had smelled awful. The sink took forever to drain. The only cleaning that was done daily was to empty the garbage in the bathroom. Nothing else. Wifi didn't work in the room and was inconsistent in the common area.

We booked kayaking through the hostel and confirmed with reception the night before but our reservation never made it to the kayaking tour company. Like I said, scatterbrained staff.

Overall, great vibe but some improvements to be made and it would be nice not to be ripped off just because you walk in instead of booking through the website. If those are promotional rates, note it on the site so people know to book ahead to get a better rate.

Room Tip: Upstairs and further from the end near reception are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple