“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.”

Pousada Caminho do Ouro
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Paraty
Reviewed December 20, 2010

The couple that runs this pousada are two wonderful human beings. I cannot recommend them any more highly. Unfortunately, while we were staying with them my companion fell and broke his hip (we didn't realize it at the time). When bad things happen, you find out what people are really like and we experienced the kindness of the Brazilian people firsthand. Owners Adriana and Christophe, in particular, were ACTIVELY HELPFUL. She went and picked up a prescription. She sent emails and made phone calls to our next two hotels because we didn't know what was going to happen. She advised me about the best way to deal with TAM airlines and the flight we missed and the flight we had to purchase. She took me to a pharmacy that sold crutches and advised me to buy them when I didn't have a clue what was going on (the orthopedist said "no break") and it was the best thing I did. Christophe cooked us meals when his kitchen would have normally been closed. He picked up my friend and carried him in to his room when we arrived by taxi from the local hospital. These two people were my friends when I needed a friend. It was a sad experience that my friend was hurt, but a wonderful experience at the same time because of the owners of this pousada.

The pousada is not located in the heart of Paraty, but it is also near a very cool place called Murycana and some great trails. There is bus/van service into town and Adriana drove us too.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Pousada Caminho do Ouro

Reviewed November 29, 2010

A very charming hotel, away from the city, but close to the historic center - no more than 5 minutes by car. The room is simple, but very well decorated and comfortable. The bistrot Voila has a delicious french food and good wine (they offered a dinner one night and it is worth it). The breakfast was excelent - in a varanda with a beaultiful view to a river! We had a great stay and recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarieRafa
Reviewed June 20, 2010

This was a great three-day stay. The welcome dinner and the breakfasts were outstanding. The owners extremely friendly - they picked us up at the bus station and brought us into town every morning. it exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We stayed here during our Christmas holidays for three days and enjoyed it very much. SInce Paraty is very crowded this time of year we were lucky to book a room out here. The pousada is located near the river set among lush rainforest. The terrace and French bistro are overlooking the river and the beautiful garden. The rooms are situated around this garden and all have their own patio. We had a great diner at New year's eve, including champagne and foie gras and everything very well prepared by the French chef. This also counts for the delicious breakfast. Both owners are very helpful and know a lot about the region. If we ever go back to Paraty we would definitely book here again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2009

After staying in Rio de Janeiro and and Ilha Grande this pousada in a beautiful forest along the river was a nice welcome. We had already seen enough beaches so it was nice to see a different environment.

We arrived at the bus station in Paraty where Adriana, one of the owners, awaited us. She gave us a free ride to the pousada, a 10 minute drive from the center.

I won't go in to the rooms and the beautiful view from the terrace because it was mentioned eough in the other reviews.

The first night we had dinner in the hotel. This was really fantastic! Being from europe I've been to french restaurants quite a bit, and this was absolutely as it should be! A very refined boeuf bourgignon and the chocolate mousse was to die for. The red wine may have been a little to cold, but the rest more than made up for it.

The next day Adriana took us to some beautiful waterfalls only 5 minutes from the pousada. She walked us around and showed us the best spots. Again this was free of charge! After that she dropped us off in the center where we strolled thrugh the pittoresk historic center.

Unfortunately we only stayed 2 nights here. So the next day we took off to Sao Paulo. Adriana dropped us at the bus station again. Where we found out that my 6 year old son forgot his neckless in the hotel. We quickly exchanged adressses so Adriana could mail it to us. To our surprise the bus stopped only 2 minutes after it departed. Adriana entered the bus and gave our son his neckless! She managed to drive up and down to the hotel in 15 minutes. Needless to say we were all stunned and touched!

Thanks for a wonderful time!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Pousada Caminho do Ouro is a wonderful place, surrounded by nature, just a few miles from historic center. It´s located near the best waterfalls of Paraty, in the beginning of "Serra da Bocaina".
The owners are very nice, and the food....wonderful!!l
Pedra Branca waterfall is a must-see, 4 miles from the pousada.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank RachidBrasil
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Just got back from our trip to Brazil. I went with my mom, sister and close friend. We loved this pousada! Breakfast on the veranda with a view overlooking the river and jungle below, exquisite french cooking for dinner, very friendly, helpful staff. The owners offered us a ride into town every morning and were even kind enough to drive us to the bus station early on the morning of our departure. If you do take a cab from the Paraty, it is only about 20R. Being set apart from the city is somewhat nice to be able to relax in the quiet setting. The room was clean and comfortable. We liked being able to all stay together. This would be a good place for families or groups of 4-5 traveling together. I did need my earplugs, at night, however, due to animal sounds of chickens, roosters and dogs barking at night, but I didn't mind this!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank kk2375
Adriana L, Proprietário at Pousada Caminho do Ouro, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Emily,

I was reading the old reviews about Pousada Caminho do Ouro and I did not realize we do not respond your comments. We are so sorry! We remember you and your friends and how it will be a pleasure have then with us. Thanks for this visit! If we have another chance, who knows we can not host you again?

Best regards,