“Very good accommodation, Julia & staff very helpful”
Review of Pousada dos Contos

Pousada dos Contos
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Paraty
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Very clean, we stayed 2 nights, everything was just fine. Julia and staff were helpful explaining things about Party and with booking tours. Wish we had more time to sty longer.
Bob C.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Pousada dos Contos

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in February 2012. Room was simple, clean and quite comfortable which was fortunate as I had 3 days of terrible weather while in Paraty and there's not a lot to do there in the rain. Some of my plans got canceled on me and Julia, the owner who speaks Portuguese, German and English, was terrific in helping me with new plans, although I think there must be more creative tour companies in Paraty than the ones recommended. (I had fun on both the schooner tour and the waterfalls tour I did but that was more because when I travel, I take what I am given and find the fun in it - not because the companies did anything special.) I also found some more unusual things to do on my own which I thought any Pousada in the area should be aware of. The wifi worked in the room I had when it wasn't knocked out due to all the thunderstorms. The dark German bread which was homemade was the best bread I had in the past three months of travel in South America. For me, it would have been better if there were other staff people who spoke English and were able to help with making plans as Julia, of course, cannot always be there. I really liked the location as it was just outside the historic district and on a quiet street also close to rest of town. All in all a good place from which to explore.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank janetpackard
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I was with two other friends and we stayed in a triple room. The price was really convenient compared to the quality and cleaning of the room. Additionally, the breakfast was abundant and delicious: fresh fruit juices. fresh fruits, homemade cakes, ham,cheese and different kinds of bread. And we also found the personnel to be really friendly and helpful with suggestions for boat excursions etc. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank soniatravel-1987-
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Stayed here in March 2009 with my husband. We had one of the rooms upstairs. Was nice and clean, very well located only a few minutes walk to the historical centre of town. Basic, but lovely breakfast. Highly recommend Paraty to those visiting Brazil, its a stunning little town, well worth a visit, and the islands cruises from the port are more than recommended - definately the highlight of our visit to Brazil.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lr_03
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Paraty is one of the most charming places in Brazil and the region around it is, quite literally, a tropical paradise. Pousada Dos Contos offers a great alternative to those travelling on a budget - the region is generally quite upmarket. The rooms are comfortable, clean and the location near the historic centre is very handy. It also offers parking space to those who come by car. Fees also include breakfast. The owner is a well travelled German-Brazilian lady who speaks fluent English and German (besides Portuguese, of course) and is always happy to give guests tips on how to best enjoy their stay. Sweet.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank apasolini
Reviewed December 22, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at this friendly and quiet hotel, breakfast was excellent and included in the price,very clean king size beds and ensuite bathrooms, private safe in our room, was all we needed after a stressfull and sweaty stay in Rio.
The owner speaks english & german and had heaps of usefull traveling information, we had a great stay and would recomend for fellow travelers.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NinaHambrug
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Ok so I dont know if they were beds bugs or miniscule ants or some other little bug but they were everywhere! So many in the bed and when I showed them to the staff they swapped the sheets - but it didnt solve the problem so the theory is that there had to be something breeding in the mattress. Other than that, the bathrooms were ok, hot water was tepid only. Breakfast was ok. 10% increase in price if you use the air con which we had never come across before and were quite surprised at. The location of the hotel is very good - close to the historical centre and shops/restaurants. The laundry here is expensive and they dont take credit cards or have Wifi. There are safe boxes in the room. Its not bad, but the beds (a king bed is actually two singles pushed together) in our room were just teeming with these disgusting bugs.

• Stayed: September 2009
2  Thank backpacker2110
Pousada Contos P, Proprietário at Pousada dos Contos, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2015

Dear Backpacker ,
We are always very greatfull for any feedback on our Hotel , as this is an oportunity to improve our services. However we are absolutely sure that we did NEVER have bad bugs in our hotel , our higiene is one of our most important issues among with the service we offer.
What has hapened , is that sometimes guests bring food into the room , which we kindly ask NOT TO , and small sugar ants come after this food. This has happened with some foreigner travelers who sometimes are not aware of this problem is a tropical country.
Thank you very much for letting us know Julia