“one of the best weeks of my life”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilha Grande
The Island Experience
Ranked #70 of 93 Ilha Grande B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“one of the best weeks of my life”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Wonderful week with kind, genuine people. /the lodge is delightful and the staff the best I have ever met. Could not speak highly enough about my experience at the Island Experience.

• Stayed March 2010

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chicago
Reviewed March 24, 2010

If you're looking to detox, recharge, and kickstart a new health/lifestyle program, this is the place for you. Jam-packed days filled with yoga, hiking, kayaking, complete with a 1 hour massage at the end of each day. Friendly staff will feel like family at the end of the week. A great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of your day-to-day life.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
Lisboa
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Very good food, great yoga lessons, good massages. The walks maybe a little strenous as you spend most of the time climbing. The guides and the owners are very nice people, always ready to help you along, always smiling.
I had a great time and I recomend the place for a healthy holidays

Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
England
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I really can't recommend staying here enough - whether you go for a week to get in shape or just for a few days to enjoy the setting.
Like other people have said the people who run it are incredibly generous and warm and this along with the wonderful food and beautiful setting - make it a very special place.
I have a thing about not going back to places, but I really hope that one day very soon I make it back here.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Island_Martin, PR at The Island Experience, responded to this review, July 3, 2009
Thank you very much for your kind comments, we are glad to hear how much you enjoy your stay at The Island Experience!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2009

...And I have travelled a lot. The essence of the Island Experience is, as one reviewer ("Kate") before me, put it: it is in the commitment of the people who run it. Truly I can say that we had never been treated with such kindness, welcomed with such warmth and cared for with such feeling as we had been by Martin, Adriana, Daniel and Angelica during our week's stay. Forget the Grand Canyon, the Niagara Falls and all the other sights I have not yet seen...I would rather come back here every year and be with these people; the other experiences an be put on hold for a while!

In addition to the hosts, who welcomed us like a family, the island itself was of course serene, beautiful and an idyllic place too - a place where we detoxed with the aid of Adriana's nutritional guidance (read: instruction!), hiked, kayaked and swam with the tireless Victor (and Daniel) and were inducted in the spiritual practice of yoga by Daniel. Days were spent burning calories in the quest to reach unspoilt beaches, blue lagoons, spectacular waterfalls and spectacular mountain summits. By the end of every day not only do you feel revitalised and alive, but a sense of achievement in yourself and your body's power and the desire to leave behind the white collar polluted office world whence you came (as in my case) an renounce it for the wild life, and an environment of pure unadulterated nature.

If I had to fault one thing, it would be the comfort of the rooms (the beds, air con noise and bedding could be ameliorated)...but I'm putting this in only because some of you reading this might be cynical about my review if it was a purely glowing report.

If you are looking for adventure, inspiration, personal fulfilment and relaxation (to an extent ;-)), look no further than the Island Experience. I hope that it goes from strength to strength with your help and by word of mouth - this is truly one of the best holidays I have had and if I could wish for one thing, it would be that the Ihla Grande be next door so that I would not have to endure the painful 13 hour flight next time to get to it!

• Stayed March 2009
Island_Martin, Owner at The Island Experience, responded to this review, April 6, 2009
Thank you for your beautiful words! We are so glad that you and your mom enjoyed your stay with us. We loved to host you for a week, you both were so much fun and easy going. Definitely, after watching you swimming for miles, we will seriously consider adding long distance swimming as one of our fitness activities! Keep it up with the healthy habits. All the best, Martin.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 18, 2009

The essence of a week spent at "The Island Experience" is in the commitment of the people. A max of 10 or so clients stay for one week of heavy-duty hiking, kayaking, yoga, great food, and good company. There are at least as many people working to ensure everyone has a special time.

It is important for people to realize what they're getting into. Ilha Grande's "hills" are very steep, and on our week, rain-soaked (as we were) and slippery. Descending was a challenge for those of us with imperfect knees. But the staff and directors are mostly very accommodating and helpful.

I liked my little cabin-ish room (be aware that the walls are very thin; you can hear neighbors snore or chat) and the views are excellent...but it isn't glamorous like some destination spas. It's the skilled, personal attention and small-group atmosphere you're paying for.

• Liked — The folks
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Emm_Dash
New York City
Reviewed August 24, 2008

I just returned from a week at The Island Experience and it was a truly incredible experience - and one that far exceeded my expectations! The island is absolutely breathtaking, the staff are some of the kindest & warmest people I have ever met, the activites are challenging and after just one week (which felt more like a month bc I was so removed from the hectic lifestyle I normally lead) I feel like I have been changed for life. The staff does an excellent job of pushing you to achieve your goals while respecting your personal comfort zone. The accomodations while somewhat rustic are beautiful - each room has a view of the water so you wake up to the sound of the ocean every morning. The food is delicious and very thoughtfully prepared and presented. The activities are certainly challenging but absolutely attainable for any fitness level. In fact, the staff does a tremendous job of catering to the varying level of each guest. I would without reservation recommend The Island Experience to anyone looking for an adventure vacation. I hope to return again, myself, in the future!

• Liked — Excellent staff & service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family