We stayed in Buzios over World Cup. After trying to find hotels, I had to settle on booking a pousada as I couldn't find any listed online (dig a little deeper, there are tons of beautiful ones all around) for the same price.
Baia do joao pousada is situated on an incredibly steep hill - I am not exaggerating, it's like climbing a cobbled mountain - we are fit and in our 20's and found it a struggle. This means the view from the pousada is incredible - absolutely breathtaking, unlike anything else which is why you would stay here. This also means that it is so windy that it will keep you up at night with the noise. Not sure why it's so noisy but it really was. We also had our plane delayed and took a cheap taxi from Rio to get to the pousada. As it was late we almost didn't get let in and the taxi couldn't find the place for love nor money. The post code does not bring up the right area, so be wary of this - our poor taxi driver took an extra 25 mins to find the place! It is a 15/20 minute walk from town so feels quite far but it is one beautiful walk.
In terms of the room, the first room we got to was awful - really run down, not clean, dead bugs, smelt strongly of urine, fridge buzzing loudly - I've stayed in nicer hostels for £20/night.
We complained to the owner and he moved us to the ocean view room which was better, but still smelt of urine (we discovered this must be from the stains used on the wood as both times came from the cupboards?)
In any case, these rooms were definitely not worth the £100/night cost we paid for them. We had just come from a beautiful 5 star boutique hotel for the exact same price and was the same distance from Rio so there is no way to justify the price.
The breakfast often had flies on it and stale cereal which was a total turn off. I would stay here again in the best room we tried if we paid about 450/night. It is definitely not worth more, look elsewhere. Buzios is a beautiful place and you want the best experience possible!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a highly privileged position less than 100 yards above the "Joao Fernandes Beach", with a fine panoramic view of the area. Offers one of the best accommodations in town, benefit from a full direct ocean view and balcony-terrace. Free Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Baia do Joao Pousada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Baia De Joao Pousada Buzios
- Baia Do Joao Pousada Armacao Dos Buzios, Brazil