“Perfeição novamente! (Perfection again!)”

Pousada Hibiscus Beach
Ranked #53 of 104 Hotels in Armacao dos Buzios
london
“Perfeição novamente! (Perfection again!)”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have just returned returned from my fifth visit to Hibiscus.
To be quite honest, I would not stay anywhere else in Búzios.

The Pousada is situated in a quiet area not far from João
Fernandes beach (a 2 minute walk). All the staff are welcoming,
helpful, polite and friendly.The bungalows have recently been
re-furbished and look stunning in their distinctive new colours.
The ocean view from the veranda never ceases to amaze me
whether it is morning, noon or night!

There is an excellent choice of food at breakfast time and the
kitchen staff will go out of their way to satisfy your requirements
(just ask!)

As Búzios is not a large town (thank goodness!) all the beaches
are accessible and are well worth a visit, especially Ferradurinha
my newly found favourite!
You can catch a V.W. taxi to any destination in Búzios for 2 reais (about 70p)
muito baroto! from the Pinguin restaurant, a 5 minute walk from Hibiscus.

The pousada is not far from Ossos which is part of the old town, and I spent
many hours there watching the fishermen come and go while admiring
and loving the` departure of the sunset!

I would like to once again thank the owners of this great pousada (Kevan & Alicia)
for making Hibiscus seem more than a "home from home".
I look forward to December 2013.
If you need somewhere to relax and unwind, look no further than Hibiscus beach !!!!

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I spent a few days here in July 2012 and hope I may do so again soon. (In fact, I lked Buzios so much that I am buying a place of my own there !) I don't really have much to add to what other reviewers have already written. Good, spacious standard of accommodation, with an agreeable degree of privacy, and yet very convenient for one of the area's many beaches, although it has its own pool. It enjoys a good sea-view as, like many places in Buzios, it is situated on a hill. It should be remembered however that such locations are not ideal for disabled people: not a criticism; just a fact of its attractive location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter G
Leadville, Colorado
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I've stayed at Hibiscus Beach Pousada twice. March 2008 and August 2011. I love this place. The restaurant at the bottom of the hill has great food and excellent caipirinhas, the beach is just a few steps past the restaurant, quiet, awesome view of the ocean...all of the ingredients for an awesome vacation. It's not fancy, expect to see ants and mosquitos, the beds are about as comfortable as sleeping on a friend's couch, no room service, etc etc, but the breakfast is 100% authentic, the staff are helpful and friendly, and the price is totally reasonable. Next time I go to Buzios, I would definitely stay here again. Excellent value.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
phantom67, Owner at Pousada Hibiscus Beach, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Hi Jessica,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your second stay at Hibiscus Beach as much as the first time. You are right , the breakfasts are one of our strong points, and everyone seems to love the variety of tropical fruits, cold cuts and pastries as well as the eggs, hot buffet and fresh Brazilian coffee .
You are also right about the beds not having been as comfortable as we would have liked. You will be delighted to know that in September, 2012, all rooms were equipped with new luxury beds with 25cm. (10 inch) spring mattresses, ensuring a good night´s sleep for all of our guests. In fact, Hibiscus Beach has just undergone major refurbishing with new furniture in the bungalows, and a stunning facelift, with newly painted exteriors, exclusively designed by a respected arquitect from Rio de Janeiro. We believe that renovation and improvement are essential for the hotel to remain, in your own words as "First Choice for Búzios".
We look forward to welcoming you for your third stay at Hibiscus Beach, to see the improvements for yourself.
Chartres, France
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Very nice poussada, 200 m far from the best buzio's beach. 15 min walk far from the center. however this walk is close the the sea, bardot avenue, magic and beautiful especially during night!! little market very close, shuffle/van available to reach all attraction in buzio (other beaches..)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Buenos Aires
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Not luxurious, but the hotel has many points in its favour. My wife and I have travelled a lot, but have rarely met such friendly and helpful office staff. Both Christian in the day time, and Nitinho in the evening put themselves out to help us with restaurant recommendations, tours, money exchange,laundry etc.
The hotel has individual bungalows, clean and well equipped, and the sea view from our balcony was fabulous. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty, with lots of tropical fruit..No complaints at all, and we hope to return next year.
Tips: Ask for a high room with the best sea views.
Try the boat trip in nearby Arraial do Cabo, the clear blue waters, and powdery white sand are magnificent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roger W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We traveled to Rio for Carnival and wanted somewhere to relax for a week afterwards. After picking the small beach town of Buzios, we decided on Hibiscus for a few reasons: decent price; private, individual bungalows; and good reviews.

We stayed for 5 nights in March 2012 in bungalow 11 (pretty high on the hill with great views) for $R1,850 (about £650).

The pousada is well located, a quick 5 minute walk from Joao Fernandes beach (the best beach we came across in Buzios) and close to Centro (take a frequent bus (minivan) from the stop down the road to town for R$2) or walk in about 20 minutes. While the pousada is away from the action and therefore quiet and relaxing, this means there’s less choice for restaurants and shops.

The grounds are adequate but could use a little TLC. The pool is handy (complete with lounge chairs and tables) and we rarely encountered anyone else there – if you’re looking for a lively resort, this probably isn’t it. We were both surprised at how quiet the pousada was the entire week (maybe because it was just after carnival). The staff was not overly friendly and barely spoke unless spoken to. The front desk staff did very helpfully assist with taxis (we were told by friends that the taxi cost of $R190 from Rio was quite reasonable) and other local information though. Be warned that this place is not for people with mobility issues as it’s a steep walk up to the bungalows.

Breakfast is provided and includes breads, fruit, meat, cheese, cereals, coffee and tea (although they only had flavoured tea while we were there – I brought my own English breakfast), and a couple of hot options (which I didn’t try as they didn’t look that appetizing). Contrary to other reviews, the food was definitely replenished during breakfast time. We ate at various times between 8 and 9:15am and there was always plenty of food. It does however, get boring after 5 days.

The bungalows are a good size, complete with comfortable beds and a terrace to enjoy (which we often did), but do not expect a high standard of finish – a 5 star resort this is not (which would be an unfair comparison). Some of the carpentry and finishing was sub-standard, the caulking around our sink looked like a child did the work. We were provided with terrible towels some days – so threadbare that they tore on use. The room contained a bug repellent to plug in each night but we still ended up with bites every night (North Americans shouldn’t expect window screens). Free wifi is available and the signal was decent on the terrace (but faint in the bungalow).

It was my fault for not looking at the fine print but the pousada charges at 10% service fee on top of the tariff. It’s beyond me what this is for and I wonder if other resorts charge it.

The area:
I recommend taking a boat tour. We booked a 3 hour tour which includes some local beaches and provides some time on the water including swimming, and an ‘open bar’ (coke, water and caiparinhas). We had a wonderful meal at L'Escale – the food is great and the service attentive and friendly.

We took a day trip (via the minivan bus) to Geriba beach. It’s massive with plenty of space to relax. You have to pay for everything though: chair, umbrella, inflated drink and food prices. Stick with Joao Fernandes beach right down the road: chairs and umbrellas included in the bar/meal prices, which are decently priced and the option to pay with credit card at a choice of beach restaurants (free wifi too!).

We had a relaxing time in Buzios and the pousada added to that relaxation. We were a bit let down though – given the glowing reviews - and wouldn’t return. There’s a pousada every 10 feet in Buzios so look around and choose wisely.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelkidd
Midland, Texas
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I had high hopes for this place, but I must say I was more underwhelmed than overwhelmed with our stay. This may be partially due to the fact that we did not go during high season, but I am not sure. Per TA reviews, we emailed ahead and requested a high bungalow for the group. The owner was very nice and reserved our high bungalows as requested. The views were beautiful from the bungalows, which themselves were cute and had what you needed. I don’t think the walk to or from the town was bad, we didn’t take a taxi once. Now to the negatives…the managers and English-speaking service has been raved about (on TA and their website), but unfortunately for us we did not have the same experience. The Pousada was like a deserted complex while we were there…lacking the English speaking staff and friendly owners. There was a bar set up, yet no one ever there working it. The breakfast was also very disappointing. If you got there 30 minutes after breakfast started, you were out of luck. Eggs and the hotdog style breakfast were never put out fresh if you missed it the first time. Fruit was good, the rest was extremely lacking. Coffee cups, plates, and utensils we also never replenished so you had to eat with your fingers and go without coffee. Wish I could have given a better review but this was our experience. Just okay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple