“Simple yet value for money hotel.....”

Serena Hotel Boutique Buzios
Ranked #30 of 104 Hotels in Armacao dos Buzios
New Delhi, India
“Simple yet value for money hotel.....”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Me and my wife travelled to buzios for the first time and were not disappointed by the hotel. The rooms are ordinary and not fancy but the overlook of the resort is nice. They have a decent breakfast and the resort is within walking distance from the beach. The reception staff is helpful and the resort is easy to reach via road from Rio. Although there are many other options in the town but this is a good calm hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 21, 2013

All i wanted was peace,calm mind and relaxation. the room was large, nicely decorated, the bed was soooo soft and comfy, spacious bathroom and jacuzzi bath.
Excellent food quality and good food service with impeccable service by demonstrating warmth and graciousness: a large choice of bread, croissants, Coffee and cakes, fresh juice, seasonal sliced fruit.
Thank you so much for everything!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 16, 2013

A hotel with a very homely environment, tasty breakfast and ... very tasty and well priced.
The hotel is nice for a family holiday and we definitely enjoyed our time.
The location in Buzios is excellent, next to Geriba beach.
Good hotel !!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Geraldine N
Makati, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have stayed in a lot of 5-star hotels and hostels all over the world and this is the WORST PLACE I HAVE STAYED IN MY LIFE.

We saw this hotel via tripadvisor and it seemed perfect. The reviews were all good so we booked a loft with this hotel. We chose this hotel because we wanted a 5-star service. However, the service we got was the worst service accommodation I have encountered in my life. My mistake was I did not read the reviews written by foreigners who rated this hotel "TERRIBLE" and I am telling you that all their comments were so true!! I wished I read them before I booked this hotel. That was my biggest mistake.

These are the reasons why this hotel misrepresented itself as a 5-star hotel:

a. Water was overflowing from the bathroom down to the living room and the bed. Receptionist described it as normal and changing rooms would not make a difference due to the architectural design of the hotel. The receptionist was never apologetic!

b. There were bees in the breakfast buffet. I asked whether it was normal and the waiter said it was normal. I also saw some insects in the buffet food. Really disgusting!!

c. I asked the housekeeping to clean the room. I went out to eat and when I came back, their standard of "clean" is still dirty.

d. We wanted to cancel the second night. The receptionist said she will look into it and come back to us. She never went back to us.

e. We asked for the manager and we were told that the manager will be there in 5 minutes. After 15 minutes, we were told that the manager was on a meeting. After a few minutes, we were told that the manager was unavailable.

f. During our stay, we asked for the assistance of the receptionist on when the shuttle will come. The receptionist told us to wait. We saw guests coming out of the hotel and we followed them. We then discovered that the shuttle was about to leave. The receptionist never told us that the shuttle was already outside considering that we were sitting in front of him. Worst hotel I have stayed in my life.

The hotel was also misleading. Free shuttle services are offered at night only.

g. Hotel claimed that there was wifi in the room but wifi was not working in the room. You need to go out of the room to get wifi. TV only had 5 channels, with 1 English Channel that had blurred TV reception.

h. Receptionists were very rude and unprofessional. They were screaming at us in Portuguese considering that we do not understand Portuguese!! We never got our refund for our second day despite cancelling the second night due to their "hotel policy" but at this point in time, we are just happy to get out of this hell.

i. The location of this hotel is very remote and far from the beach and you will have to spend a lot of money to take cabs to get to the center.

j. Place was average.

TERRIBLE!! DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Cyren S
Ventas, Diretor de vendas at Serena Hotel Boutique Buzios, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We do only reply to these comments here posted to let our Tripadvisor followers know about the uncomfortable and sad situation we had to live during the time the people who posted these comments stayed at our Serena Boutique Resort, in Buzios.

Mrs. Charmi and her companion arrived at Serena Boutique Resort on a rainy day, on May 6th, 2013. They were always assisted by our staff in a cordially and profesionally manner, as per the standards that rule our hotel group.

Before completing their check in process, knowing about our services and facilities and going to their room, Mrs. Charmi and her companion asked for an early check out without penalty fees. We explained the guests that, according to Booking.com's and our cancellation policies -which is important to mention that had been accepted by the guests at the time of booking- we could not modify their booking without charging penalty fees.

May 7th, 2013 was also a rainy and cloudy day. Therefore, Mrs. Charmi and her companion insisted on having their booking modified with no penalties chaged. As they did not get the answer they were looking for, they started an argument, shouting at and insulting our staff as well as making xenophobic comments.

As our main objective was to ensure that the other guests that were at Serena at the same time Mrs. Charmi and her companion were there, we decided to invite Mrs. Charmi to leave Serena. Immediately after, the guests went to their room, opened the taps and the shower taps, closed the drains and flooded the entire loft to take pictures in order to make a fake complaint.

Serena Boutique Resort decided not to charge Mrs. Charmi and her companion for the damages caused to our building in order not to cause another quarrel with the guests.

As previously mentioned, our staff cordially assisted Mr. Charmi and her companion during the stay, professionally handling the situation.
Wheeling, West Virginia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one week and found it delightful. The weather was great and Geribá beach was an ideal place to visit given size and crystal-clear waters.
I was taken aback by the staff and their willingness to help solve any problem; they were also very helpful when advising on the different activities that were available. Absolutely fantastic!
The pool was also lovely and the grounds very green.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lara B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The service was great and this made our stay even more pleasant.
Our bedroom was very light and clean (it was cleaned every day). It's perfect for a family as there is plenty to do for children.
We enjoyed visiting lots of new places with our guide.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 950CarolC
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the outside, the hotel looks as lovely as it appears in photos online. The interiors of the room, however, are extremely minimal, and uncomfortable. The breakfast was average to below average, at best, and the hotel was fly and rat infested. On my way to breakfast, I saw one of the hotel workers carrying a huge dead rat from its tail, not even trying to hide it. I lost my appetite. But I already kind of didn't have an appetite after being rudely awaken at 1:00 a.m. by workers pounding on our door offended that we had three people staying in a room for two. Surely, this could have been addressed when we checked in or in the morning when we checked out. There was no need to wake us in our sleep by violently pounding on the door and demanding that we come to the lobby to pay full price for another hotel room. Because the English speaking workers were not on duty, we couldn't even argue or negotiate. It was incredibly rude and unprofessional and because of the language barrier, I coudln't even complain to the appropriate staff in the morning. Also, I wondered if the other hotel guests were being treated so rudely or if we were being profiled because we were young Americans.

Also, I read reviews about the hotel offering transportation. There is a shuttle, but only at night and this hotel is FAR from everything even worth seeing (and believe me, there wasn't much worth seeing.)

I spent 8 days in Rio and people told me to go visit Buzios. I wasted 2 days of my trip in this dump of a place. I've traveled all over the world, stayed in some of the best hotels, and seen some beautiful beaches. There is nothing charming or spectacular about Buzios. I hope not to offend anyone by saying this but it looks like a dumpy vacation place for the working class people of South America. The main strip did not have a single nice restaurant, every restaurant was something like a 2 star experience. The entire down was a dump. Yes, the beach was lovely, but so are the beaches in Rio and I've stayed in places like Portofino, Italy which is a thousands time more charming than any of the beaches I saw in Buzious. I would strongly suggest save your time and money and don't come here unless you don't have high standards for a vacation.

I would not go back to Buzios (it looks like a trashy working class vacation spot), nor would I ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends