“Great place to enjoy life with the whole family.”

Summerville Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Porto de Galinhas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Manaus
“Great place to enjoy life with the whole family.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great location, friendly staff, excelent food, lots of activities for all ages, you can chill by the pool while your kids run around with the monitors. You won't need to leave the hotel for anything. The beverages are a little expensive.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Summerville resort is perfectly located outside Porto de Galinhas (worth the stay alone) and has an absolutely breathtaking pool that winds about 1/4 mile through the resort with a waterfall located at the restaurant in the middle of the pool. When you get to the end of the pool, you can step out directly to the beautiful beach. This is also where the massage rooms are and worth it! The breakfasts and dinners are included in the rate and are, without a doubt, 5 star quality. Dinners are themed, like a local cultural dinner, or a French or a Italian, etc. Many times lobster is included along with steak. Breakfast is the best I have ever seen. I did a dune buggy ride one day that took me to a great restaurant in Porto de Galinhas and along the beach to a coastal river, where I found freshwater Seahorses! The rooms in the resort go from Cabanas to simple apartments. The Luxo (luxurious) suites all have balconies that face the swimming pool and many of the cabanas have balconies that face the ocean. Each room has a hammack with hooks on the balconies. I liked the luxo suites the best with a living room, bedroom and kitchen. Internet is included in the apartments along with English channels. Many of the reception desk personal speak good English and they have concierges that can be called for any questions. Do not miss a stay at this resort!!

Room Tip: Ask for a luxo suite that faces the swimming pools, get a bottom room (not second floor) so that you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
São Leopoldo, Brasil
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We spent the reveillon at Summerville and the hotel is great! It has a very good structure, an amazing pool, big and comfortable rooms, a delicious breakfast ( as well as a delicious food at the restaurant ), but the remarkable was the kids club! An amazing kids club structure, with very professional and cary recreacionists, they have a kids buffett inside the kids club, this way the children can eat there ( foods they like - rice, beans, pasta ... ). They have activities during all day, separating younger children from olders. and it works wonderfully. mi children just loved the hotel and the club. The only thing that was not so good was the service.... a little slow, they forget your order and we had some problems wiht our table ar Reveillon ( they reserved our places for 2 families ). But, in general, a great hotel for vacation - sun, pool, sea.... very good!

Room Tip: I think the best is to reserve rooms a little far from the pool!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We have an amazing time at Summerville Beach Resort, and it will certainly stay in my top 10 list for some time. It will be hard to beat the beautiful sights everywhere: blue sea surrounded by coral reefs, palm trees, swimming pools, large, well designed and cozy rooms, lots of activities such as free dance or gym classes, perfect varied food, I could not wish for more. The variety of swimming pools allows even some diving classes prior to exploring the sea nearby (paid apart, of course).
The resort's beach is beautiful, and easy to access. I could walk at the beach anytime, day or night, and the full moon made a very romantic scenery. During the day there are kaiaks to rent, and the water is so clean and light that I easily spotted fish and crabs in the warm water.
Service is great, price is reasonable, and I was very well impressed by the hotel. I would definitely stay there again and recommend. Great, beautiful place!

Room Tip: If possible, chose the first cottages in front of the beach. You will feel there's only you the...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Campinas, SP
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great, food was very good and great variety, service, excellent, children recreation, outstanding, the settings excellent. Recomend this place for a family vacation. The service is great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EAEL64
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I recently spent 5 days at the Summerville Beach Resort in Porto de Galinhas. This was my first time to Brazil, and I was overall pleased with the stay.

Prior to going to Brazil, I studied Portuguese enough so that I could have brief conversations, and this was a good idea. While there was one person at the checkin who spoke perfect English, many or most of the staff spoke little English, if at all. I don't view this as a negative in the least, rather, it made me feel like I was in a different country, which is exactly what I was looking for. I did find that they were very patient with my Portuguese, which was good!

The drive from Recife was a bit long - took us about 1 hour 15 minutes (a bit less on the way back), but the countryside was beautiful.

I loved the open air lobby, although this is where I started to notice the fact that the resort is a bit dated. By a bit dated, I mean it is overdue for a renovation. The furniture, the rooms, everything about the resort just seemed like I was in 1987. I upgraded to a cabana overlooking the pool, which was very nice. The porch was wide while still having privacy from the room next door, but I wish the furniture was just a bit more, well, updated. It was plastic chairs and tables -- sturdy enough, but if I were a large man (or woman), I'm not so sure it would have made it. The rooms were clean, and the 2X/day housekeeping was very efficient. I liked the fact that they had a mini fridge in the room, stocked with beer and some other things that I didn't have. (I did have the beer!)

The grounds were really beautiful. Little bridges enabled you to walk through (over) the pool area to the lobby, and there were numerous places to swim. I know that I was there in the winter (May), but the place was nearly deserted, which I LOVED. There was absolutely no problem getting a chair near the pool. In fact, some days it seemed like I was there with 3-4 of my friends, and that was it. I liked the beach, and the reef right off the beach made for nice crashing waves about 50 meters off shore.

The bar service was a little slow compared to American standards, but I found it to help me slow down and not worry so much about time. The waitstaff was quite pleasant and helpful.

The biggest surprise for me was the food. When I found out that it was all buffet-style food, frankly, I was not expecting much. After all, creating a huge buffet, 3 meals a day, that was both tasty and had healthy options is a tall order. I have to say that I thought the food here was very, very good. There were many new choices at every meal, along with some standard items that were consistent. While I could tell from day to day that they used leftovers to create the next day's meals, it was not a disappointment in the least. Plenty of interesting options, including one of my favorites, paella one night. Breakfast was very good, with eggs that were cooked just right - not overdone.

Overall, this was a good place. If I were ever back in or near Recife, I would probably go back.

Room Tip: Pick a cabana that faces the pool!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Unpaintedhuffhines
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

As you can see by the other reviews, this hotel is FOR FAMILIES only!! They TAKE OVER the place!! If you want somewhere quiet to relax, perhaps with your other half, like I did, AVOID at all costs!! We stayed at the best "bangalô" they had, to try and avoid the chaos, but the hotel organised activities for the children to do right next to that area! Unbelievable!

Meal times were such a nightmare, with the typical Brazilian politeness of "me first", we decided to go into town to eat every night, which was certainly the best decision but still not what we had expected! The village is about 20 minutes away by taxi, so it was not cheap to keep on having to escape the resort!!

To top it all off, you can't just sit by the pool and relax, as they have non-stop loud music on and the children's entertainers shouting all day long!!

A complete nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!