“Nice resort, a bit dated though”

Summerville Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Porto de Galinhas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Nice resort, a bit dated though”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

I recently spent 5 days at the Summerville Beach Resort in Porto de Galinhas. This was my first time to Brazil, and I was overall pleased with the stay.

Prior to going to Brazil, I studied Portuguese enough so that I could have brief conversations, and this was a good idea. While there was one person at the checkin who spoke perfect English, many or most of the staff spoke little English, if at all. I don't view this as a negative in the least, rather, it made me feel like I was in a different country, which is exactly what I was looking for. I did find that they were very patient with my Portuguese, which was good!

The drive from Recife was a bit long - took us about 1 hour 15 minutes (a bit less on the way back), but the countryside was beautiful.

I loved the open air lobby, although this is where I started to notice the fact that the resort is a bit dated. By a bit dated, I mean it is overdue for a renovation. The furniture, the rooms, everything about the resort just seemed like I was in 1987. I upgraded to a cabana overlooking the pool, which was very nice. The porch was wide while still having privacy from the room next door, but I wish the furniture was just a bit more, well, updated. It was plastic chairs and tables -- sturdy enough, but if I were a large man (or woman), I'm not so sure it would have made it. The rooms were clean, and the 2X/day housekeeping was very efficient. I liked the fact that they had a mini fridge in the room, stocked with beer and some other things that I didn't have. (I did have the beer!)

The grounds were really beautiful. Little bridges enabled you to walk through (over) the pool area to the lobby, and there were numerous places to swim. I know that I was there in the winter (May), but the place was nearly deserted, which I LOVED. There was absolutely no problem getting a chair near the pool. In fact, some days it seemed like I was there with 3-4 of my friends, and that was it. I liked the beach, and the reef right off the beach made for nice crashing waves about 50 meters off shore.

The bar service was a little slow compared to American standards, but I found it to help me slow down and not worry so much about time. The waitstaff was quite pleasant and helpful.

The biggest surprise for me was the food. When I found out that it was all buffet-style food, frankly, I was not expecting much. After all, creating a huge buffet, 3 meals a day, that was both tasty and had healthy options is a tall order. I have to say that I thought the food here was very, very good. There were many new choices at every meal, along with some standard items that were consistent. While I could tell from day to day that they used leftovers to create the next day's meals, it was not a disappointment in the least. Plenty of interesting options, including one of my favorites, paella one night. Breakfast was very good, with eggs that were cooked just right - not overdone.

Overall, this was a good place. If I were ever back in or near Recife, I would probably go back.

Room Tip: Pick a cabana that faces the pool!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Unpaintedhuffhines

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

As you can see by the other reviews, this hotel is FOR FAMILIES only!! They TAKE OVER the place!! If you want somewhere quiet to relax, perhaps with your other half, like I did, AVOID at all costs!! We stayed at the best "bangalô" they had, to try and avoid the chaos, but the hotel organised activities for the children to do right next to that area! Unbelievable!

Meal times were such a nightmare, with the typical Brazilian politeness of "me first", we decided to go into town to eat every night, which was certainly the best decision but still not what we had expected! The village is about 20 minutes away by taxi, so it was not cheap to keep on having to escape the resort!!

To top it all off, you can't just sit by the pool and relax, as they have non-stop loud music on and the children's entertainers shouting all day long!!

A complete nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank av0id
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

Spent the last week at this beautiful resort and it was for sure one of the best resorts we have stayed. My 2 boys didn't want to go back home and it is definitely a place that we will visit again. The food is delicious, especially the deserts... everyday a different and wonderful one. The recreation team is great, the waiters are always very polite and worried about you and the children have different activities every day. The pool is perfect, the especial restaurant for the little ones is also great. Loved everything.

Room Tip: The rooms in front of the pool are the best ones, even better than the cabanas that are close to the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Simone M
leiden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

This was our second visit to this hotel and we were amazed again how nice the hotel is for childeren. The staff of the baby- and childerenclub is active with the childeren from the morning till the late evening. Also the staff of the animationteam, restaurant and reception is very friendly and helpfull, however a few people are able to speak English.
This hotel is less suitable for older couples without itinerant familymembers, who liked to have a quiet holiday.
Breakfast is extensive, also at dinner, specially the desserts, all of a good quality.
The standardrooms are limitted equiped, a up-grade is adviced. At this moment all the rooms and bungalows are renovated, which is necessary.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

The hotel is very nice, the pools are wonderful and the beach is very nice. However, the transportation service to and from the airport is horrible! They set up to meet me at the airport at 11:00 am. No one showed up. So, after chasing after them for an hour, I found out that they forgot about me, so they sent some kind of taxi to pick us up, but the driver didn´t know how to get to the hotel... So we finally arrived at 4:30 pm instead of noon!!! Wasted a vacation day! very stressfull!!!! This transportation service belongs to the hotel, their desk is inside the lobby. DO NOT contract their services!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Maria Luiza M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed at this hotel during a congress and experienced a consistent bad service. Staff at the restaurant didn't manage any single time in a whole week to serve us the right dish in less than 40min waiting time. This in an empty restaurant with a 4 items menu (4 types of sandwich with French fries).

I truly urge management to train its staff and get service up to speed.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Vilnibus
Recife, PE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

If you are travelling with children from 3yo and above this is the place YOU gonna take a rest!!!! while you tan, swim, read or anything else you want to do the monitors take your childre to play all day long!!!!
The food is also good, the rooms are big but the cleaning coulb be better and faster.
The hotel is located ina very beautiful place and outside the resort you can find a lot of other places, restaurants, beaches, etc.
This area in under a huge development so the roads are terrible.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Serrambi Resort
Serrambi Resort
#11 of 30 in Ipojuca
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,849 reviews

Been to Summerville Beach Resort? Share your experiences!