“Dirty, expensive dump”

Prodigy Hotel Recife
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We had a one night stop over at this hotel in October 2011. I have never stayed in such a dirty place - mould on the curtains and windows, hair in the sink, urine and hair on the toilet, mould in the shower, dirty surfaces... The lift displays didn't work, there were mattresses being stored in the fire escape route, the safe didn't work, the balcony door wouldn't lock and there were lots of drunk locals hanging around the foyer.

We arrived late in the evening and thought we'd try and find something to eat locally as we didn't want to risk the food - presumably if the rest of the hotel was dirty, the kitchen wasn't going to be much better. The area felt very unsafe and we ended up going to the local supermarket to buy food to take back to our room.

Room Tip: My tip would be to find a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 26, 2011

Wow! A lot of people had bad experiences at this hotel but my experience was great. I travelled last year with a group of 17 people and we received great service from the staff. They were friendly and really went out of their way to help us even when our Portuguese was terrible. The location is great (a minute away from the beach). Our rooms were cleaned every day and we had hot water every morning. The breakfast buffet was awesome with lots of variety. I would recommend this place to other people as my experience and that of the others in my group was very enjoyable. The only "bad" thing was that the internet was slow but I was too busy on the beach or out to really use it.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Canadiantravelercapo
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I traveled to Recife with colleagues to conduct a series of business meetings, which took place at the hotel. I had stayed at the Blue Tree in Sao Paulo on numerous occasions without incident, so I figured the Blue Tree in Recife was a safe bet.

After checking-in, I proceeded to my room. My room key became stuck in the door, and required a maintenance man to remove. My stay at Blue Tree was off to a promising start. I proceeded to wash my hands in my leaky bathroom sink, and then took a cold-water shower (courtesy of the Blue Tree's lack of hot water). I then attempted to catch up on some work emails. However, the hotel's wireless network wasn't functioning (despite the R$15 charge). I found an ethernet jack in the room that actually functioned. When my colleague requested a cable to use the ethernet jack in his room, they promptly shut down the ethernet connection. Apparently, the ethernet jacks were not supposed to be operational.

The next day, our business meetings began. Since the internet connection wasn't working in my room, I decided to try to connect in the hotel lobby. I then heard some yells coming from the elevator. Apparently, the elevator was stuck halfway under the lobby. After laughing for a bit, the Blue Tree team pried open the elevator door and pulled each individual guest out of the elevator. You'd expect that the Blue Tree would put up some sort of barrier in front of the elevator in order to prevent more guests from entering; not the case. I watched a series of guests proceed to get stuck in the same elevator.

***The next day, the elevator NEXT to the malfunctioning elevator actually plummeted to the ground and was destroyed. Fortunately, no one was in it at the time.

Given I was conducting business meetings at the hotel, I was morbidly embarrassed.

If you have a complete disregard for your own personal safety and well being, and enjoy incompetent service, this hotel should be right up your alley.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
8  Thank brianzaki
Reviewed August 15, 2009

the hotel has a great location, right on the beach, but thats the only thing it has going for it.
we stayed here twice in a month, both times were terrible, but for different reasons.
the rooms are tired, old and noisy, our first room had a leaky toilet, no hot water and lots of street noise
our second room was full of sand, the bed, the floor, the bathroom all were covered in sand, we had to unmake our bed and shake the sheets to get rid of sand before we could sleep in it.
the pool area is neglected,the gym mostly broken, the breakfast basic, the fruitjuice watered down, all in all it was terrible!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank gregandcath
Reviewed October 9, 2008

The room was nice, big and confortable. Althogh the staff was not weel prepared. Both, check in and check out took too much time to be done. Talk to them by phone also was very difficult. I think that for the service offered, it is over priced.

O quarto é bonito, grande e confortável, mas o atendimento é péssimo! Para o serviço oferecido, está superfaturado...

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paloma_BR
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Had a good sized corner suite on 11th floor with city room view.

Good full buffet breakfast included in room price.

Could not use wireless internet in room just in lobby, patio bar/restaurant, and near pool but those areas were full of mosquitos...I think from the plants and palms in landscaping ..during time of dengue scare in city. I complained to manager to spray.

Hotel elevators were very slow then one of the three broke down completely.

I invited a female associate up to room sit and talk and have a drink before meeting with other folks for dinner since the mosquitos at the patio bar were unbearable and I did have a suite with a sitting room. However, the security stopped her and manager wanted to charge me for an extra person staying the entire night...highway robbery... in the end gave them 20 reais.

Manager claimed anyone that visits for more than 15 minutes must be paid guest. I told them it was ridiculous since that was not posted or written anywhere and two days earlier I did the same thing with a male business partner but no one asked me for more money for him to visit my room. Accordingly I can only conclude that the hotel is gay friendly, or perhaps discriminates against women.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Patrick M
Reviewed March 25, 2007

I hace chosen this hotel after reading the reviews, in this site. I did not regret, even if this hotel is not a "super one":
Great location, as Piedade Beach is nice and quiet. Also not far from Boa Viagem Beach.
The staff is ok too.
Rooms are average.
Breakfast is good.
Swimming pool is small

I've read somewhere this hotel is a 4 star, but it is not: it is a 3 star. Good for a 3 star, poor for a 4 star.
Good deal, anyway, i think.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
TRYP Pernambuco
#2 of 5 in Jaboatao dos Guararapes
Anahi Hotel
#13 of 56 in Recife

Been to Prodigy Hotel Recife? Share your experiences!