“Great place to stay and far better than the upmarket Tourbillon”
Review of Pousada El Shaddai

Pousada El Shaddai
Melbourne, Australia
“Great place to stay and far better than the upmarket Tourbillon”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights. Lovely place with really good staff and an excellent location. Nice breakfast with good coffee too! You are 1.5 blocks from the main bus lines and only a few extra blocks from the central bus station. The room I had was huge and you could leave the airconditioner on 24 hours a day so always had a cool oasis to come home too.

I was ¨lucky¨that due to an airport controller strike I was put up for 1 night in the very upmarket Tourbillon. I suggest you read my review of that place located in Puerto Iguassu on the Argentinian side and then book a room at the Pousada El Shaddai.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I stayed one weekend in Foz do Iguacu and the Pousada El Shaddai. The 24 hour reception is a great plus for arriving late and the staff is very nice, supportive and has a lot of good tips. The backyard with a small pool is also a very nice chilling area with a kitchen for guests.
But I have to say, that my room was really poor. I had a twin room (room no. 1) next to reception and the lounge area. So it was very loud day and night and the smokers area directly in front of the window is just discusting. The wallcolour was pouring from the ceiling, bathroom was not clean and had dirt sticking to the walls. Shower had just cold water and nearly no pressure. And the bed had two matrasses stapled, whereas the lower one was smaller than the top one - very nice if you try to turn around... And the garbage wasn´t cleared during my stay, which is just a NO GO, as you don´t flush toilet paper in Brasil. And as a special plus: When it is raining outside it is also raining inside the bathroom!
Maybe the other rooms are better, but I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: do not choose room 1!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
devon
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This pousada is very well signed and easy to find from the bus station. It is an incredibly clean, well run family business and the breakfast is pretty good too. The rooms are comfortable and come in a range of sizes and capacities. However it is the staff at this guest house that make the place worth a visit. During my stay I was pretty ill and didnt speak Portuguese but the manager went out of her way to help me and took me the hospital as many times as I needed to translate. This was greatly appreciated and very kind. Our stay was made much better by this even though I wasn´t well!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Afer reading the positive comments on TripAdvisor my mum and me booked this pousada for two nights during our stay in Foz do Iguacu. Sadly, we were completely disappointed and would never ever recommend staying here.
From the outside it looks like an ok place. The entrance, common room and kitchen area are looked after, but the owners clearly dont care about the rest. We had booked a standard double room and were put in a room for 3 in a second house behind the main building that was shabby and run down. The courtyard was dirty, there were old mattraces and old furniture lying around, the hammocks must have been from the 60ies, if you wanted to sit in them you would have fallen on the ground. I added some photos so you can get an idea. The guy from reception guided us through the pousada, going past the pool he admitted that it was dirty. He wanted to show us our room but realised that it hadnt been cleaned so he put us in another one. When he opened the door we saw about 5 mosquitos straight away, and we told him, but he just smiled. My mum spend half the evening killing another dozen and several other insects, including centipedes. I know mosquitos are common in an area like that, but clearly, you can do something about it! The beds were uncomfortable, the room was covered in mould and our toilet didnt work properly. Luckily we had our own bathroom, because the shared bathroom next door was so dirty, i felt disgusted looking at it. Same with all the rugs lying in front of every door.
The breakfast was ok but if you see how the cleaners clean the table you dont really want to eat anymore. The wi-fi worked, but it was slow.
The only positive thing about this place is the location, its 2 minutes from the bus stop for buses to the falls or the airport and just 5 minutes to the bus terminal for the bus to Argentina. There is a supermarket not far away.
Im sure if you stay in the main house you get a completely different impression, and for 88 Reais it was a cheap deal but from my point of view i can only say that you should NOT STAY HERE and pay a few reais more for a better accomodation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank theastravels
Delhi, India
Reviewed August 3, 2011

basic, but clean. close to the bus station that goes to the falls and also into argentina and also to and from the airport.

electric showers, so not really any hot water...but these showers seem to be very popular in brazil! breakfast was good, as brazilians eat well, what with coffee, cake, fruit, bread, cheese, ham!

its not warm or cosy, but is comfortable enough for a night or two. did think it was a bit pricey but then brazil is like that.

couple of good places to eat just up the road too.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Came with my daughter (20 years old) to see the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls. The staff and atmosphere were some of the best we've found, and we've been traveling for a few weeks now. Hammocks, pool, and kitchen. Very quiet.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank danreich007
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We stayed at the hostel for 2 nights while touring Iguazu Falls. The hostel is in a convenient location, close to a grocery store and restaurants. The staff is awesome, they helped us plan our trip and got us discounts at a churrasceria (Brazilian-style steak house, which was good, but pretty touristy) and at the aviary by the national park. There were four of us, and we got a quadruple room with our own bathroom. It was 4 twin beds, and pretty sparse, but did include TV,air conditioner, and breakfast is included, so for the price, you just can't beat it. You'll spend enough money at the national park, so save some on accommodations! Additional perk is that you can pay in Reales, US Dollars, paraguayan Guaranis, and probably other types, that made it much easier for us.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple