“Nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Bella Italia

Hotel Bella Italia
Ranked #9 of 79 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I must state I can only base the hotel on my room as I did not see all rooms and suites in the hotel. To be honest some reviews I just read are so different to my experience, that it is hard to believe they are talking about the same property.

It is true the lift is noisy but that is the only complaint I have. I do feel we all go to see the falls and really only sleep at the hotel not spending all that much time in the room (I assume).

Bags collected by porter outside. Check in and reception friendly and usual Brazilian form to be completed. Nice reception old world feel.

We had a suite lounge and bedroom with huge bathroom featuring a jacuzzi bath. It also has a big walk in shower separate from the bath. The room has a fridge and 2 balconies faces the street and was excellent. On a par with European hotels and quite European feel to it. the room is clean and comfortable.

As I say looking at other reviews it all depends on the room don't book the cheapest and read reviews on the most expensive that just makes no sense.

Location is fine we walked to a beer garden maybe 2 km away and it was quite safe.

Breakfast was absolutely awesome, easily the best we had in Brazil. They go the extra mile and it is not the few eggs and sausages found at other Brazilian hotels. Breakfast deserves 5 stars.

All in all nice stay bearing in mind we came to see the falls not the room or hotel. I do recommend spending a bit extra and getting the best room as they are nice and obviously those are more comfortable from the reviews I have read on TripAdvisor.

Room Tip: The suite is not crazy expensive and is worth it
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 22, 2013

This is a difficult review to write... on one hand this hotel is excellent in terms of; the staff (friendly, helpful, just the best you want on a trip), the location is excellent (walking distance to restaurants, a large mall / grocery store, safe district) and the value is there. However... the noise inside this hotel is atrocious. There is, as others have mentioned, a very loud low frequency hum that I think is related to the elevator. Plus the elevator itself makes a giant bang noise when it moves / stops and the hotel is very noisy inside the hallways with people at late and early hours, no fault of theirs they are either getting up early for the falls etc. or coming in late from a party etc. I slept maybe 1 hour in total on each night which is brutal. The elevator noise seemed to permeate the whole hotel, low frequency travels easy. I don't know if it is different or better in different parts of the hotel but our room was simply atrocious with ambient noise. I will say this... if you are a heavy sleeper and generally not bothered with noise (such as my wife who heard the noise but was able to sleep) this hotel would be an ok choice. If you are a light sleeper (as I am) I can't recommend it even though the rest of the stay (staff, location, etc.) are excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

The lobby is spacious and inviting with a bar, several seating areas, a tourism desk and complimentary tea and coffee. The rooms are very small and clean, internet was intermittent, particularly during the day. The rooms in the back are extremely noisy because of a busy thoroughfare, be sure to ask for a room that faces the hotel entrance. The breakfast buffet has many items, but the hot items have been heated and reheated and the cakes and bread are dry, it's obvious they put the same food out day after day. They do have a good variety of fresh fruits, cold cuts, cheeses and cereals, I'd stick to those. I had asked the hotel to reserve with my credit card, that I would pay in cash, which they didn't honour, they took the full amount off my card and this was a problem for me. As to the tours, BEWARE of the moonlight tour, it's not a tour at all, they just drop you at the park entrance, then you just wander around on your own and they pick you up at midnight. I had booked the dinner as well and when I got to the buffet restaurant, the staff said they didn't have my name on their list and it took a lot of convincing (I had my receipt with me), but I finally got a table. The moon doesn't appear above the trees until almost 11 and never gets high enough before midnight to shine fully on the falls, so it's really not worth it. The Italian buffet in the hotel on Wednesdays and Sundays is tasty and pricey, so go hungry for full value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street rather than the back, for a quieter sleep
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We arrived a Sunday and they had an Italian buffet. This Italian food can be compared to the best restaurants in Italy. The buffet is only 2 times a week, one is Sunday. No comparison with the other Italian restaurant where the food is so so. The morning breakfast is out of this world in variety and quality. Great value.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rayhaus547
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The Hotel Bella Italia is a total trip. From the moment we entered the spacious lobby it felt like we were being transported back in time. The outdated Italianate furnishings, fixtures, and many oil paintings on the walls at this hotel are certainly from a bygone era but, that being said, it definitely does not lack for charm. In fact, we were absolutely charmed by the place and the staff! The fact that the hotel was elaborately decorated for Christmas didn't hurt either.

While our room may have been as outdated as the lobby, it was clean and decent enough and fine for a night or two of sleep. But the real pleasures of this hotel are the people at the front desk and lobby bar (as pleasant and helpful as they could be!) and the AMAZING Italian restaurant buffet at the Bella Tavola, which is only available on Wednesday and Saturday nights. We actually pity the people who might stay on other nights and don't get to experience the VAST buffet of salads, meats, breads, the dozens and dozens of cheeses, and pasta, pasta, and more pasta served by waiters in jackets and bow ties. Our dinner there was absolutely wonderful! And our drinks in the lobby afterward (near the huge creche scene) were just about perfect. It felt comfortable and homey, a hard thing to achieve so far from our home.

If you are planning to stay in Foz do Iguacu, try to stay here on a Wednesday or Saturday and one other tip: DON'T each lunch that day. Just don't.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Our six-night stay here met all of our basic needs, had an incredibly large and diverse breakfast spread each morning (included), a generally helpful staff and very good location in the city center.
The hotel room's air conditioning worked well, a key point in this locale that can get very hot in the summer. Bed was comfy, shower was strong and wifi reliable.
Hotel had a small swimming pool (may disappoint kids), and a mid-sized gym that met our needs. Laundry service was offered.
It features a full-service restaurant with a popular Italian Night twice per week, featuring very good homemade pastas, a smaller quick-service diner that had good food, and a nice little bar with friendly barman.
It is right down the street from the city's major shopping mall, helpful for food, bank ATMs and a supermarket. Taxi stand right across the street had cabs ready at nearly any hour.
Loumar Turismo, one of the city's biggest agencies, has a desk inside with lots of good tour options. We used them for multiple outings, and were pleased overall with the service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed only one night in Bella Italia while visiting Foz. There were things we liked about this hotel, but our particular room was so noisy at night that it precluded a good experience overall.

There were some very good points about the hotel: we found the staff (and the guests actually) very cheerful and helpful--they were really delightful. The location of the hotel also turned out to be great for us, one block from a modern mall with all the associated conveniences and cinema. Also close to the Falls and airport. The rooms were pretty good and functional with comfortable bed, modern TV, good bathroom facilities etc. Everything worked.

The buffet for breakfast was enormously large and comprehensive, which my wife particularly liked.

Though it's not the greatest concern for a hotel in this price bracket, the decor of the rooms and especially the hotel common areas was a bit dated and cheesy, but it was kind of fun. especially with the over-the-top Christmas decorations adorning the stairs and walls etc.

The major issue for us was that our room was quite loud. Although we were across the hall from the lift ("elevator" for you non- commonwealth sorts) was uncommonly loud and there was low frequency sound & vibration from the lift that was very audible in our rooms. The rooms were generally poorly insulated from noise including street noise and noise from guests in the hall. The lift was the main issue by far though and was disturbing enough to prevent us getting a good nights sleep, so based on our experience I could not say the hotel was any better than average.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple