“Hotel in Foz de Iguazu”
Review of San Rafael Hotel

San Rafael Hotel
Ranked #25 of 79 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Well, what can we say about San Rafael? It's in Foz de Iguazu... We choose to stay in the Brazilian side of the falls and that means to stay in a big city instead of the small Argetine city of Puerto de Iguazu.
The Hotel is average. The rooms are not nice, but you have a big bed in the room. The hotel got a nice swimming pool and a very good buffet / restaurant.
It's good value for the price they ask.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ASandbergen
There are newer reviews for San Rafael Hotel

Reviewed May 9, 2009

This hotel offers a free transfer from the airport, but not being used to that, I forgot about it (grrr) and took the bus from the airport (grumpy driver, they don't help you with your luggage and you're then supposed to get your suitcase through the turnstile on the bus, another passenger had to help me as the driver and the money taker weren't about to....the driver went very fast, bad roads, no available seats, so even though it was only 2.10 Reals it was not a pleasant trip. They put the brakes on at the last minute and one girl screamed when there was a sudden stop...my luggage fell over when I was trying to get off and again a passenger helped me get my suitcase down. It's fine when you use the bus later, if you get a seat and you don't have your luggage.
Anyway, I found my way to the hotel easily, room was fine, there's a 5 Real a day charge for the room safe, I used it for two days and then asked to cancel the last day as I needed to take my passport to the Argentian border....breakfast was fine, again Brazilian hotels serve a lot of cake for breakfast for some reason, but there was fruit, cheese and bread too (again mostly white rolls but they also had slices of rye). There was also a charge to use the internet but I didn't bother as I find the hotels really overcharge, if you stay here, there's a small internet place that's open at night across the road for 1 Real for 30 minutes.
The tour guide at the hotel wanted to charge me $100 U.S. to take me and some others in a mini van to the Brazilian falls one day and the Argentinian side the next and then back to the airport when I left...what a rip off1 You don't need a tour guide for this...
walk the two or three blocks back to the main road and take the bus for 2.10 Reals, it goes first to the airport and then on to the national park which is where the Falls are. Entry to the park was about 22 Reals, they take you on a bus and then you walk a very well defined path, there are cafes and a restaurant....when I was there, a lot of the falls on the Brazilian side had dried up because of the season but it was still nice...there are lots of racoon type animals roaming around and you're warned not to feed them or get too close.
After the falls I went to the bird park which is just outside the national park....it was about 20 Reals to get in if I remember correctly and I spent more than two hours there....very interesting, had my pic taken with a parrot, a tucan and a boa constrictor. Then took the bus back, again it stops at the airport and walked the couple of blocks back to the hotel. The hotels in town are cheaper than the ones on the park road but the town is pretty much deserted at night and I only found two restaurants...one Chinese one and I took food out from there two nights and ate in my room with a beer from a little store (not the mini bar) and on the last night I found a pizza place, took a pizza back to my room. There are lots of little fast food type places but they serve only meat and I'm a vegetarian...the sidewalks are in bad shape and it was very eerie at night.
The next day I went to the Argentinian side...it's very easy to get to...you take a bus on the main road, it's 3 Reals or 6 depending on the bus company...it goes to the border, everyone gets off, shows their passport to the border guards who stamp it, you get back on the same bus and that takes you to a bus station in Argentina...there are some small restaurants nearby...you buy a return ticket for 10 pesos (I changed money into pesos at a money exchange place before I got on the first bus, I paid 57 reals for 100 pesos) ...that bus takes you to the national park, it was 60 pesos to get in, (they only take cash so don't rely on credit cards) leaving me 30 pesos for a sandwich and a beer along the way, I then had enough left to buy an icecream, another beer and a bottle of water before I got on the bus to go back to the Brazilian side (you pay 3 Reals on that bus from the bus station, you don't pay in pesos). The falls on the Argentinian side are much more impressive and you can get much closer....if you can only go to one side, go to the Argentinian side, and consider staying there too, rather than in the town on the Brazilian side....at least they had some restaurants.
I managed to get the bus to the airport when I left, but finding a bus stop was nearly impossible and then there's no list of which buses stop there...you have to watch for the right one and flag it, I think I missed one because another bus was stopped at the stop and my bus didn't stop, just went around it and left. To ask about the buses, I went to the bus station the night before I left, again, kinda eerie as not many people around at night and the station was seedy and then I walked the road and found that there was a stop close to the road where the San Rafael is so all was fine.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
7  Thank TorontoTraveller2009
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Small hotel in the middle of Foz de Iguacu just a short walk from the main street. Room was very adequate, clean and comfortable though dull decor. Good size bathroom, which was bright and modern, again clean though with a small colony of resident ants. Only real complaint about my room was the very noisy air conditioning thankfully I could live without it being switched on.

Staff on the reception seemed to be rather lack lustre in their approach and were not particularly friendly. Though this may have been due to their lack of English and my total lack of Portuguese. Hotel does seem to cater more for guests from South America.

The hotel restaurant has a buffet on every night, it is good value though not a great selection unless you like heavily salted cold fish and gristly meat. The breakfast was in complete contrast with a great selecion buffet of hot and cold food and drink. Breakfast is reached via a small gift shop in a pleasant though very plastic canteen environment complete with artificial flowers on every table.

Foz de Iguacu itself is not a very vibrant or attractive town to stay in or indeed visit. The falls are absolutely stunning and when I return I will stay on the side of the border in the far more charming town of Puerto Iguassu in Argentina.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank Durhamguy
Reviewed January 4, 2008

If you're on a budget and all you need is a clean room with a big bed, then this is fine. The breakfast is nothing to write home about. The employees were very nice. The pool looked nice, but I didn't use at as it was a very short stay. It was close to a lot of restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nicocut17
A TripAdvisor Member
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 29, 2005

Just back from staying at this hotel while visiting the Iguassu Falls. The hotel was clean but on entering our room there was an apparent smell of damp which remained during our stay. The room was cleaned everyday. Ordered room service one evening but had to take the menu to reception as no-one in the restaurant spoke English when we called. The Portuguese we had learnt didn't seem to help - a little inconvenient. Easy to get use of the Internet - about £1.20 for an hour. The pool area was fine but there was drilling and building work going on right beside it so it wasn't exactly peaceful. The hotel is quite central with some shops and a few restaurants within walking distance. Probably wouldn't stay here again but not a bad hotel.

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Kentucky
Reviewed September 15, 2005

The best and only good thing I can say about this place is that the breakfast was good and plentiful. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste your money. We had a room on the street side and the noise from the traffic was unbearable. Combine that with the rock hard bed and we didn't get much sleep while we were there.

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 23, 2004

Arranged this hotel upon late arrival at the airport, including transport - good deal. Rooms were basic and clean. Hotel is located at walking distance from numerous restaurants and places to enjoy a drink at night. Also within 1 or 2 minutes walk from bus stop to the Iguacu Falls (Brazilian side), as well as Iguazu Falls (Argentinian side). Also easy walk to bus stop for bus that will allow you to hop over Paraguay border for a short visit. Stayed here early 2003.

11  Thank Haarlem