“unremarkable”

Ranked #20 of 78 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Wirral
“unremarkable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Average hotel basic rooms.breakfast the best part of stay but don't bother with dinner unless it is Sunday and there is nowhere else.Really annoys me to have to pay for safe!!!!Had to walk quite a long way to find some reasonable to eat.It hadn't rained for 5months til we got there and then the deluge

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ann728

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Jaragua Do Sul, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

This hotel is simple and cheap, perfect to a short trip with the goal to buy "imported" in Paraguay. Simple breakfast, small rooms and old furniture. It's good located.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gilzacarlafloriani
Florianopolis, Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

Very small, simple and clean rooms. Goog quality and good price for food.
Aplace to stay if you just need a clean bed and a good shower ( very good actually)
Meals are simple, clean and super cheap! It has a homemade flavour.
A bad thing: they charge you daily to ude the safe box. It is very uncommon. 3 USD/ a day.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank RenatoFuzz
Zandvoort, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

Well, what can we say about San Rafael? It's in Foz de Iguazu... We choose to stay in the Brazilian side of the falls and that means to stay in a big city instead of the small Argetine city of Puerto de Iguazu.
The Hotel is average. The rooms are not nice, but you have a big bed in the room. The hotel got a nice swimming pool and a very good buffet / restaurant.
It's good value for the price they ask.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ASandbergen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2009

This hotel offers a free transfer from the airport, but not being used to that, I forgot about it (grrr) and took the bus from the airport (grumpy driver, they don't help you with your luggage and you're then supposed to get your suitcase through the turnstile on the bus, another passenger had to help me as the driver and the money taker weren't about to....the driver went very fast, bad roads, no available seats, so even though it was only 2.10 Reals it was not a pleasant trip. They put the brakes on at the last minute and one girl screamed when there was a sudden stop...my luggage fell over when I was trying to get off and again a passenger helped me get my suitcase down. It's fine when you use the bus later, if you get a seat and you don't have your luggage.
Anyway, I found my way to the hotel easily, room was fine, there's a 5 Real a day charge for the room safe, I used it for two days and then asked to cancel the last day as I needed to take my passport to the Argentian border....breakfast was fine, again Brazilian hotels serve a lot of cake for breakfast for some reason, but there was fruit, cheese and bread too (again mostly white rolls but they also had slices of rye). There was also a charge to use the internet but I didn't bother as I find the hotels really overcharge, if you stay here, there's a small internet place that's open at night across the road for 1 Real for 30 minutes.
The tour guide at the hotel wanted to charge me $100 U.S. to take me and some others in a mini van to the Brazilian falls one day and the Argentinian side the next and then back to the airport when I left...what a rip off1 You don't need a tour guide for this...
walk the two or three blocks back to the main road and take the bus for 2.10 Reals, it goes first to the airport and then on to the national park which is where the Falls are. Entry to the park was about 22 Reals, they take you on a bus and then you walk a very well defined path, there are cafes and a restaurant....when I was there, a lot of the falls on the Brazilian side had dried up because of the season but it was still nice...there are lots of racoon type animals roaming around and you're warned not to feed them or get too close.
After the falls I went to the bird park which is just outside the national park....it was about 20 Reals to get in if I remember correctly and I spent more than two hours there....very interesting, had my pic taken with a parrot, a tucan and a boa constrictor. Then took the bus back, again it stops at the airport and walked the couple of blocks back to the hotel. The hotels in town are cheaper than the ones on the park road but the town is pretty much deserted at night and I only found two restaurants...one Chinese one and I took food out from there two nights and ate in my room with a beer from a little store (not the mini bar) and on the last night I found a pizza place, took a pizza back to my room. There are lots of little fast food type places but they serve only meat and I'm a vegetarian...the sidewalks are in bad shape and it was very eerie at night.
The next day I went to the Argentinian side...it's very easy to get to...you take a bus on the main road, it's 3 Reals or 6 depending on the bus company...it goes to the border, everyone gets off, shows their passport to the border guards who stamp it, you get back on the same bus and that takes you to a bus station in Argentina...there are some small restaurants nearby...you buy a return ticket for 10 pesos (I changed money into pesos at a money exchange place before I got on the first bus, I paid 57 reals for 100 pesos) ...that bus takes you to the national park, it was 60 pesos to get in, (they only take cash so don't rely on credit cards) leaving me 30 pesos for a sandwich and a beer along the way, I then had enough left to buy an icecream, another beer and a bottle of water before I got on the bus to go back to the Brazilian side (you pay 3 Reals on that bus from the bus station, you don't pay in pesos). The falls on the Argentinian side are much more impressive and you can get much closer....if you can only go to one side, go to the Argentinian side, and consider staying there too, rather than in the town on the Brazilian side....at least they had some restaurants.
I managed to get the bus to the airport when I left, but finding a bus stop was nearly impossible and then there's no list of which buses stop there...you have to watch for the right one and flag it, I think I missed one because another bus was stopped at the stop and my bus didn't stop, just went around it and left. To ask about the buses, I went to the bus station the night before I left, again, kinda eerie as not many people around at night and the station was seedy and then I walked the road and found that there was a stop close to the road where the San Rafael is so all was fine.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
7 Thank TorontoTraveller2009
Durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2008

Small hotel in the middle of Foz de Iguacu just a short walk from the main street. Room was very adequate, clean and comfortable though dull decor. Good size bathroom, which was bright and modern, again clean though with a small colony of resident ants. Only real complaint about my room was the very noisy air conditioning thankfully I could live without it being switched on.

Staff on the reception seemed to be rather lack lustre in their approach and were not particularly friendly. Though this may have been due to their lack of English and my total lack of Portuguese. Hotel does seem to cater more for guests from South America.

The hotel restaurant has a buffet on every night, it is good value though not a great selection unless you like heavily salted cold fish and gristly meat. The breakfast was in complete contrast with a great selecion buffet of hot and cold food and drink. Breakfast is reached via a small gift shop in a pleasant though very plastic canteen environment complete with artificial flowers on every table.

Foz de Iguacu itself is not a very vibrant or attractive town to stay in or indeed visit. The falls are absolutely stunning and when I return I will stay on the side of the border in the far more charming town of Puerto Iguassu in Argentina.

• Liked — breakfast and the friendly ants
  • Disliked — my first and only mouthful of salted cod in the restaurant
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Durhamguy
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

If you're on a budget and all you need is a clean room with a big bed, then this is fine. The breakfast is nothing to write home about. The employees were very nice. The pool looked nice, but I didn't use at as it was a very short stay. It was close to a lot of restaurants.

• Liked — Big Bed
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank nicocut17