“Only way to see Falls with short stay”

Belmond Hotel das Cataratas
Ranked #1 of 79 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We stayed at hotel from 7PM Sunday to 8AM Tuesday. This gave us one full day at the Falls.
First the hotel: Perfect! Yes pricey, we booked on line a few weeks in advance,no problems. We did dinner at hotel both nights( kind of far to go anywhere else). Dinner is available to order off menu, however we feel the buffet is the way to go. Wide selection and different selection both nights, even for a fussy eater as I am. The selection of beef,lamb, pork was very tastey. It is served from a skewer (Brazilian style, like in the states, only this is the real deal!). Service was excellent. There is another resturant in the hotel, however it was closed for a private function. I did not see the menu.
There is a lounge off the lobby with appetizers and drinks. I think they serve sandwiches etc at certain times, apps only at night.
There also is a beautiful library /sitting room next to lounge.

Breakfast was included. Buffet style, very good. I saw some people order eggs cooked to order. I don't know if this was an extra charge. We had plenty to choose from without ordering eggs cooked to order.
We had lunch at pool side burgers etc. Pricey but equal to any first class hotel.
Our room did not have a view room, however it was newly remodeled and top notch. We did not see a problem without a view because the falls are accross the street. There is a great view from the bell tower on top of the hotel.

I believe the cab ride from airport was $30.00US, this is from the Brazian airport.We had Brazilian money but paid in US Dollars.
The park fee is paid by the hotel and passed on to us at check out. No money was paid at the entrance.
Return trip to airport was scheduled by front desk with local cab company, same price as coming to hotel. The hotel has a car service but it was much more than a cab.
Hotel has a spa, we did not use, however the prices did not seam out of line. English in the spa reception area was limited.
There was no need for us to rent a car.

We arrainged the river boat experience with the on site travel person. It is same price as the boat company,except they come and pick you up and bring you back. Hotel has free throw away ponchoes if you ask.
Just a few tips, this is not the "Maid of The Mist". You will get wet, you will go directly under the falls, the boats on the Brazilian side do the same as the Argentinan side. They have a wet pack to keep belongings and cameras dry when you get under the falls. My suggestion get a waterproof camera. You will get wet and your camera will get wet. if not in wet pack. I have a $200.00 waterproof digital camera from Costco and the pics and video is worth every penny. Also wear a bathing suit!! I got soaked, my wife stayed reasonably dry. We both wore a poncho, I don't think you need it.
They do take a video for sale, we did not buy thier video. I do not know the price.

There is a trail that runs along the falls, with an elevator at the end closest to Devils Throat, this is free and gets you on top of the falls.
You are not on top of Devils Throat but it is a good view. We did not have time to go to the Argentina side, however we feel we saw plenty on the Brazilian side. So if you only have a short time as we did, we saw plenty, it is an amazing site.

So, my final thoughts from a fugal couple, for two nights: GO FOR IT. This hotel is well worth it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LLAHAVE

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I rang on the journey to Iguazu to Das Cataratas and asked if there was availability for their best room with a view of the Falls. I was told by the booking department that there were superior rooms available with the views of the Falls. I asked would we be safe to just turn up later in that day. Yes was the reply. Firstly, you need a booking to get into the National Park. It was a quite a long drive there to find that one needed a booking. The man at the entrance to the Park was very helpful and called the hotel. NO they had no rooms with views to the Falls. So there we were with a back room that was clean, and OK, nothing exciting. when we arrived I was asked if we wanted a reservation for dinner at the hotel. Yes please. When we got to dinner, where I HAD to make a reservation, it was an awful buffet and we waited and waited for service and got none until we sat with plates in front of us with no cutlery and no drinks.
I must have eaten $10 worth of a bowl of bad soup and fruit and the friend with me ate some reheated pasta and fruit.
The following day when the manager found out that I was unsatisfied he tried hard to make amends. However, what he doesn't know is that we booked a trip with the excursion department within the hotel. I was given NO INFORMATION for what was an expensive trip on a boat to the falls, so we went completely unprepared with no money, no insect spray, no change of clothes and no idea how we were to return to the hotel. We had to pay in cash for this trip.
So we left that afternoon, after we ordered a sandwich, a salad and a pasta and two soft drinks. We are vegetarian and we do not drink alcohol!
We were given a free late checkout due to the inconvenience and our bill total was $756.
I have stayed at many Orient Express Hotels and this one lets the company down badly. Yes they have the position, but our trip was ruined by our experience at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2010

we wanted our son and daughter and daughter-in-law to stay at Hotel das Cataratas and see the Foz do Iguacu. My husband and I had stayed at the hotel for two nights in week 5 in the years 1990-1997, and we were hoping the refurbishing and new decor was good. It was perfect! Nothing had changed from the outside, and the hotel is still the same pink hacienda.
Inside everything was top quality with perfect air-condition and a very tasteful, exquisite decor. The pool is new and perfect with excellent water and staff.
The breakfast is superb in a wonderful setting. The staff everywhere was superior to anything we have encountered anywhere in the world, and when our daughter got ill, they immediately called the hotel's nurse, who kindly helped her in the best way possible.
She forgot her e-book in her safe, and the assistant in the reception, the top-professionel Veronica, sent it to her in Denmark free of charge.
Our last dinner was in the à la carte restaurant overlooking the falls in the sunset. The food, the wines, the desserts, the service were just as good as in Enoteca Pinchiori in Florence in Italy, and it has for years held three stars in Guide Michelin.
We stayed four days and will recommend a boat-trip after a tour through the jungle, a guided tour to the Argentinian side of the falls, a guided tour to the Itaipu dam.
We would prefer one day at Hotel dasCataratas overlooking Foz do Iguacu to four days in the cheaper hotel, because you have the area to yourselves from 6pm till 9am, and you have full value for your money in this exquisite hotel.
Once in a lifetime I hope you'll visit one of the seven wonders of the world:
Foz do Iguacu and Hotel das Cataratas.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MulleAlleroed
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Recently returned from a 2 night stay in the Das Cataratas.

From the moment you arrive you feel pampered, the hotel is very modern, classy, has a colonial feel to it and the decor is very stylish.

The swimming pool is fantastic, spacious and a nice way to start or end the day after visiting the falls.

There are 3 room rates cuurently on offer. I booked a standard room for the family but got a free upgrade to superior as the standard rooms are currently being renovated. My sister who was also travelling decided to opt for the luxury room as they are facing the falls, however you do not get any view of falls so in my opinion they are not worth paying the extra. They are also smaller than the superior rooms though they do have a balcony.

As I have children it was an added bonus that under 12's are free. There is also a Business Centre giving internet access and free wireless available in all bedrooms if you have your own laptop.

The location of this hotel is what makes it. It is the only hotel inside the falls on the Brazilian side so once the park is closed to the public you still have access to explore the falls and the trek starts directly opposite the hotel.

I would defeinitely stay in this hotel again and can't recommend it more. Orient Express have definitely turned this hotel around.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2010

No question that this is a world-class hotel in a stunning setting. The pool is gorgeous, the rooms luxurious, the staff very accommodating, the breakfast a true repast, the ability to wander around the park without thousands of other tourists (before the park opens or after it closes) a true measure of exclusivity.

The luxury, however, comes at a very steep price by my lights. For 2 people our 1 day total (USD) was about as follows: room $350 (including small discount for booking ahead); taxi to and from hotel $100; dinner at the ala carte restaurant $180 (two appetizers, one split main, bottle of wine). We had lunch elsewhere, and skipped pricey poolside libations. Without taking care, it’s very easy for a couple to drop $600-750/day here.

If you can get past the price, the experience is wonderful and the falls are spectacular. If you’d like to mitigate the damage, bring some of your own food and drink, and skip the tempting extras.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We have just stayed 3 days and 2 nights at this hotel. We are a family with 2 children aged 12 and 9. As a general comment I would say with children any younger than 8 the falls is not a great destination. There is quite a bit of walking and it is not good for prams or strollers. In addition you get wet!
The hotel is really nice and recently refurbished. I stayed here in 2002 before the work and it is MUCH nicer. That said it is also much more expensive now.
We had 2 inter connecting rooms and they were very comfortable. If I had to complain about something it was the lack of power points in the rooms.The decor to me was very nice. The public areas of the hotel are nice and I felt very comfortable.The staff we encountered were very helpful. When we checked in the childfren went to the rooms first.By the time we got there 10 mins later they had been provided with childrens dressing gowns and flip flops to fit by house keeping. You can keep the flip flops! (havianas)
If you can afford it I would say stay here. The location is wonderful and the Brazilian side of the falls is on the doorstep. You can however stay in MUCH cheaper places and still visit the falls. For visitors who arrive in Brazil and are on a budget I would sugest you take a taxi to the Argentina side, its only half an hour and you can do everything there cheaper. If you stay on the Brazil side you will have a day trip tp Argentina anyway. If I came again I would stay on that side. There is a Sheraton Hotel in the park there. I am not sure how nice it is, but it is much cheaper than Hotel das Cataratas.

As others have mentioned eating in the hotel is expensive and you have no choice but to eat in the hotel really.
That said we have had a wonderful time. The Brazilian side of the falls is much improved since 2002. The Argentina side is better though and just that side would be enough if you are short on time or money.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2010

this was my 2nd visit, this time taking my husband,who was blown away by everything about the place-amazing location, fabulous service and although a splurge it was worth every cent!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel Colonial Iguacu
#41 of 79 in Foz do Iguacu
Loi Suites Iguazu
#5 of 50 in Puerto Iguazu

Been to Belmond Hotel das Cataratas? Share your experiences!