We spent 3 nights here and had a wonderful time. However, due to flight times, on our first night we arrived at midnight, so only really had 2 full days/nights here. I found this time to be ample to experience Foz Do Iguazu and it was a shame that with such a late arrival we needed to book 3 nights rather than 2.
The hotel is absolutely beautiful, service is impeccable and staff speak excellent English. Everybody I came into contact with was polite, pleasant and friendly. It was everything I would expect from a 5* hotel. The location is outstanding and it was lovely walking down to the waterfalls before the park opens to the public. The hotel also runs a free shuttle service to take you to other parts of the park which was really useful.
Reading other reviews, people have complained about "hidden charges"; we found that we hadn't realised there was a 15% tax added to the cost of the room, so our bill was also more than we expected. I can't say I felt this was anything "deceitful" on the hotel's behalf, more just our general ignorance of Brazilian taxes.
Also, we booked airport transfers each way. Upon booking the return transfer, a lady (in the travel agency room where you book them) advised us to pay for our transfers there first, before checking out of the hotel, otherwise you are charged 15% tax at the reception desk. Helpful advice!
There was quite a lot of rain during our stay, so we didn't use the pool, although the pool area was absolutely lovely. We ate breakfast in the pool restaurant, which was very good. We also ate one evening meal there. There is a buffet style meal or you can have a la carte; we ordered sea bass from the a la carte menu and it was delicious. The second night, we ate in the bar area. This was fantastic for a relaxed, chilled out, light meal. You MUST sample the Brazilian grilled cheese; delicious! We would have liked to have eaten in the more formal restaurant, however it was closed whilst we were there, opening again on the night of our departure, so I was a little disappointed by that.
Finally, we had booked a package which included a massage at the spa. The spa was really excellent. The lady at reception was delightful, the masseuses were lovely and it was one of the best massages I've ever had.
Overall, an expensive luxury, but well worth it. This was the best hotel we stayed in during a 3 week trip to Brazil.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the spectacular Iguacu Falls in Iguacu National Park, the 5-star Belmond Hotel das Cataratas provides free Wi-Fi internet access. Guests can enjoy a cocktail by the swimming pool or play a game of tennis on the provided court. The falls can be experienced by speed boat, rafting or by a helicopter flyover. For excitement and adventure, guests can enjoy abseiling, rock climbing and canopy walks. Walking tours allow for the surrounding lush rain forest to be explored. Belmond Hotel das Cataratas offers traditional Portuguese styled rooms with a flat screen TV, dark wood furniture and warm natural tones. Some rooms provide a balcony and seating area. The two restaurants on-site provide views of the falls and of the hotel's pool. They serve a selection of international and local Brazilian cuisine. In the evening live music can be enjoyed in the downstairs bar. The Iguacu Falls lie between the Brazilian state of Parana and Argentina. The Brazilian side offers postcard panoramic views, while the Argentinian side provides varied, up-close views. The hotel is located in a privileged position, alongside the Iguassu Falls. It is in fact the only hotel situated in the Iguassu National Park. Because of its prime location, the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas offers its guests a unique experience - taking walks along the trails by the falls which may be done at any time during the day, with the added advantage that from 7 a.M to 9 a.M, the trails are for guests of the hotel exclusively. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Belmond Hotel das Cataratas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Das Cataratas Hotel
- Tropical Das Cataratas
- Hotel Das Cataratas
- Hotel Tropical Das Cataratas
- Belmond Hotel Das Cataratas Foz Do Iguacu, Brazil