The Hotel das Cataratas:
As the only hotel located in the middle of Iguassu National Park the Hotel das Cataratas not only offers stunning views of this wonder of nature but also exclusive access in the early morning and late evening before and after the regular opening hours of the National Park. Orient-Express Hotels did a fabulous job in restoring the more than fifty year old property with its pale pink façade. This hotel still oozes history, style and luxury with wooden floors, nice antiques, historic furniture and fireplaces in the public spaces. The lush gardens full of butterflies and singing birds and the very generous swimming pool are a perfect place for a relaxing afternoon. The outdoor veranda is inviting for taking tea and – when the sun goes down – take a cocktail with you and climb the stairs of the “Tower”. You will never forget the view when the sun is vanishing behind the majestic falls.
Professional, quick and friendly check-in. Service during my whole stay was very good – attentive and courteous. Twice daily maid-service. The smiling people who work here are proud of this hotel and it really shows! Free shuttle-service (three times per hour) to the entrance-gate of the National Park (but I think, that you stay at this hotel to have the privilege to be inside the park…).
I stayed in a spacious (about 450 square feet) Deluxe Room (2202 in the Garden Wing) with a lovely view of the gardens in front of the hotel. The hotel has been completely renovated two years ago and the rooms offer any luxury and comfort without losing their “colonial style” (furniture, wooden floors). Generous bathroom with large bathtub and fabulous amenities. The nice, blue flip-flops (havaianas in Brazil) are a great souvenir for the guests.
Dinner at Ipe Grill Restaurant was expensive but convinced with good quality. You can choose between buffet-style or ”a la carte”. If you prefer to eat next to the illuminated pool, you should make a reservation. The buffet-style breakfast at the Ipe Grill Restaurant overlooking the pool and the gardens offered a very comprehensive selection with tasty Bircher Muesli, wonderful French Toast, a great fruit selection, homemade mango jam and other delights. Try to get an outdoor table! The Itaipu Restaurant was closed during my visit.
Things you have to see and to do:
Located in the lobby is an independent travel agency where you can book every kind of excursion around the falls and also cabs to the airports. Whether you want to make a helicopter ride over the falls, a trip to the Argentinian side or a boat tour – they offer something for every taste. The hotel is also offering guided walks through the rainforest.
All in all:
The Iguassu Falls are one of the very few real “wonders of the world” every traveller is dreaming to visit. You can see as many pictures and videos before, but if you are really standing in front of this spectacle you will become speechless. How big is nature, how small are the human beings. The Hotel das Cataratas is a wonderful place to stay – charming and luxurious, absolutely nothing to fault. Of course there are many cheaper options but they are all located outside of the National Park. The possibility to enjoy the falls “in private” in the early morning or also in the evening and during the night (great when the moon is shining) more than compensate the high price tag.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the spectacular Iguacu Falls in Iguacu National Park, the 5-star Belmond Hotel das Cataratas provides free Wi-Fi internet access. Guests can enjoy a cocktail by the swimming pool or play a game of tennis on the provided court. The falls can be experienced by speed boat, rafting or by a helicopter flyover. For excitement and adventure, guests can enjoy abseiling, rock climbing and canopy walks. Walking tours allow for the surrounding lush rain forest to be explored. Belmond Hotel das Cataratas offers traditional Portuguese styled rooms with a flat screen TV, dark wood furniture and warm natural tones. Some rooms provide a balcony and seating area. The two restaurants on-site provide views of the falls and of the hotel's pool. They serve a selection of international and local Brazilian cuisine. In the evening live music can be enjoyed in the downstairs bar. The Iguacu Falls lie between the Brazilian state of Parana and Argentina. The Brazilian side offers postcard panoramic views, while the Argentinian side provides varied, up-close views. The hotel is located in a privileged position, alongside the Iguassu Falls. It is in fact the only hotel situated in the Iguassu National Park. Because of its prime location, the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas offers its guests a unique experience - taking walks along the trails by the falls which may be done at any time during the day, with the added advantage that from 7 a.M to 9 a.M, the trails are for guests of the hotel exclusively. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Priceline, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Belmond Hotel das Cataratas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Das Cataratas Hotel
- Tropical Das Cataratas
- Hotel Das Cataratas
- Hotel Tropical Das Cataratas
- Belmond Hotel Das Cataratas Foz Do Iguacu, Brazil