People only stay here because of its location - being quite close to the entrance to Iguazu (the Brazilian side). In fact, you cannot walk to Iguazu as it is too far - you have to drive quite a way from the main gates to the trains that take you around the falls. The hotel presents very well from the outside - lovely gardens and a large pond, beautiful flowers, etc. However, inside it is like a prison or mental hospital - it is drab, drab, drab! I have never been anywhere which sucked the joy of living out of you like walking down the San Martin's corridors - an awful experience. Then the rooms are just so bad - small, cramped boxes with no character at all. The fixtures & fittings appear to be of the cheap & nasty end of the DIY spectrum. We changed rooms because we were so close to the perimeter path thru the gardens (grounds) and had people staring in at us as there were no net curtains - just a blind that if pulled down meant you had no light and could not see out! We pointed this out to reception who were very unhelpful, difficult and aggressive. The 2nd room was no better so we were shown another - it was smaller (!) but looked in to the interior garden area where no-one went so therefore more private.
Breakfast (buffet) was not bad at all but the staff were mostly surly apart from a couple of people. We tried dinner (also buffet) once but it was not great - not that bad, just average really.
The free wifi was very weak and was only possible (just) in the lobby. There were 2 laptops available in the lobby but there was a high charge if you wished to access the internet (but they were providing free wifi in the lobby so how/what/why??)
We had snacks in the bar more than once and not only were the bar staff friendly but the food and drinks (cocktails and coffees/teas) were excellent - this was the best part of the hotel by a long way - especially in terms of staff attitude.
The other oasis of warmth & light was the shop (run independently) where the owner and her assistant were lovely and chatty!
Final recommendation: choose another hotel and don't be swayed by the San Martin's proximity to Iguazu Falls and the bird park next door.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- San Martin Hotel and Resort is located just for 400 meters from the main entrance of the National Park, 03 kilometers from Foz do Iguaçu Airport, and 10 kilometers from the downtown. The resort has 135 rooms, divided in 3 categories. The simple one is the standard, the superior is a medium comfort, and superior class the deluxe one, and junior suites. All the rooms have TV, air con, minibar, telephone, wi-fi free of charge, trail inside of the wood for walking, and a beautiful and wonderful pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda and HotelsClick so you can book your San Martin Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Martin Hotel Foz Do Iguacu
- San Martin Hotel And Resort
- San Martin Resort & Spa Foz Do Iguacu, Brazil