“Got what I was promised”
Review of Poco Preto trail

Poco Preto trail
New
“Got what I was promised”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My experience was very different from what other reviewers are saying, so perhaps it depends on your tour guide. Mine was very knowledgeable about animals as well as local history. We saw agouti and an alligator, and I learned a lot about the native plants.

The hike itself is simply a hike through the woods (I was given a choice of bike, walk, or electric vehicle) and is very east. The "uphills" are a joke - I wouldn't have even called them hills if the guide hadn't been duty-bound to say, "And now we're going to go uphill." Yes, it's a five-mile or so walk, so if you can't do that at home, it won't be any easier on vacation.

The water was so high that the very end of the trail was actually a short kayak trip. We then transferred to a motor boat and toured around the islands. Typically, the guide said, we could land at the parrot island, but the water was too high. (This is very unusual. Someone else told me that, on the Argentinian side, Garganta do Diablo was inaccessible.) Finally, we docked and took another, quite short trail back.

In terms of scenery, this doesn't compare to the falls themselves, but it was a nice walk and a very educational experience.

Visited July 2013

Houston, Texas
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“glad the agent's rude attitude dissuaded us”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The travel agent sitting at our hotel was quite uninformed and rude. We asked her if this trail will take us to the island with parrots and she said yes. We did not book it due to her rude attitiude when we questioned her about timings. It turned out fine in the end for us as we did not waste our money on this as our later research found that there is nothing worthwhile doing this.

Visited July 2012
Bedford, NY
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Waste of time!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was an awful experience. First they lie to you and tell you that you can switch from bike to truck at any time. You start with a 600m walk with no commentary. Then you switch to bikes for a 9km ride. The bike trail is awful. There are ruts and sand patches everywhere, so you can't get up to speed on the downhills dues to the sand pits and the uphills are deadly. They have you go 3km before a break, mostly uphill and quite unpleasant in the heat. I had a mild asthma attack and asked to switch to the truck, three times. My husband left me to carry on. Our guide left to carry on and the Poco Preto guide refused to let me on the truck with the bike. He said if I did not want to bike, I could walk the bike in front of the truck. He said I could not put the bike in the truck. I asked to leave it on the side of the trail and get on the truck. He refused. So I suffered through 6km more (the next 2 solid uphill), had a terrible asthma attack which rendered me useless for the next 36 hrs, so my husband and I were unable to finish the trail. However our friends carried on and said the treetop hike was nothing special and the kayaking was a cruel joke: wet, inflatable kayaks they let you fool around in for 15 mins, concluding with a silent truck ride through the woods. Also it took 4 + hours -- not a good use of time. No bathrooms either. After the bike ride there is a toilet, but there are hundreds of bees and no one on the tour would go near it. Also they promise you drinks, but the drink person went home.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Kitkat_NY
san francisco,ca
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Banana Trail Review”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had planned to do the Poco Preto trail combo but ran out of time. However I did want a "feel" of the rainforest/natural environment. I got that by just doing the Banana Trail thru Macuco Safari. It was well-priced: for a 1-1.5hr walk in the jungle with a (amateur-ish) guide, I paid about R$40-50 (USD 20-25). There are no self-guided tours in Iguacu National Park as far as I could find out, so this was a good and economical version. I got there around 9:30am on a Monday, and just asked them whether I could do a cheaper, shorter version - and they suggested it. Never hurts to ask!
Go to the main Macuco station (where you would go for the boat trip to the falls).
The guide was OK in terms of flora/fauna knowledge but I was fine with that. The walk ends at the river - pretty breathtaking.

Visited September 2012
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Poco Preto Trail definitely not worth the time or money with this company”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Iguacu Falls is truly magnificent, and we hoped that a companion trip through the rain forrest and on the upper lake would be a good supplement. The brochure provided by Iguassu Experiences promises "a genuine rain forest experience" but the tour does not deliver. The tour doesn't begin until around 9:45 and it soon becomes obvious that at this hour there are no birds or animals to be seen, on land or lake. The rain forrest is interesting but there are no tropical flowers in the summer (January-February in Brazil). The boat ride was equally boring. Three and a half hours with little to show for it. There are so many wonderful walks, so many waterfalls to be delighted with, that this was just a waste of money and a half day. We were also disappointed that Iguassu Experiences at the magnificent Hotel das Cataratas promotes this poor tour.

Visited February 2012