and 1 more site!
Marica B&B
Ranked #34 of 79 Hotels in Foz do Iguacu
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Maria is lovely very helpful.shame it was cold. She tried to accommodate our needs. Would stay there again, only when its warm though as it was unbearable with the cold. Taxi from airport 50 reis. Not too far from waterfalls.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I had a very short stay at Marica's B&B and Maria helped me and two other guests with our plans to visit the Falls. She got Roberto to drive us to both sides, Argentinian and Brazilian (very different - a MUST!), for a good price. We would never have been able to get there by public transport; or to plan this so quickly and easily without their help. Great day...
I stayed in the Romantique ensuite room, which also has a little balcony with table and chairs - all of it, as well as the public areas, were extremely well maintained, with beautiful decorative touches.
The local shopping mall - a short walk away - has a multi-cuisine food court and a supermarket if you prefer, as I did, to take advantage of dining al fresco on your private balcony. There are several ATMS and a currency exchange there, too. (Roberto knew all the possible payment types for the Falls visits and stopped en route to Argentina for me to get pesos. Brazil, you can pay by card.)
Breakfast offered a bit of everything: delicious fresh fruit, pastries, bread, cheese, ham, jams, FABULOUS coffee, full range of teas, fresh juice, eggs, even panettone before our early morning flight (perfect!).
Staying at Marica's B&B is more akin to staying at a friend's house - comfy, safe, friendly - and the price tag is great value!
I can fully understand why Marica's has received many awards: highly recommended.

Room Tip: Romantique has a private balcony and bathroom at not much higher price than others - get it if you c...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We found staying at Maria's B&B very comfortable, and found Maria herself to be very helpful & knowledgable. Her home is clean & peaceful & an overall lovely place to stay.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Maria runs a very good place, although I think the "Romantic" Suite is probably quite a lot better than the other "non-ensuite" rooms. You feel more like a guest in Maria's house - she is a very sophisticated and helpful woman - than a "customer" in a hotel. The Romantic room was spotlessly clean, the bathroom was big and modern, and the balcony was pleasant. An excellent breakfast (too much, of course) was served up "under the stairs". My only complaint was that the instant heater in the shower was "hot" or "cold", but nothing in-between.
The house is in a quiet part of town, about 10 minutes walk from a big "Shopping". This is reliably a good place to stay while visiting the Falls, the Park and other local attractions.

Room Tip: If the suite is available, you should get it.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The Marcia B&B was a good choice. Maria had some good connections and helped with my Spanish practice. The breakfast was excellent -- remember that this is not the USA or UK -- and well prepared. She offered two kinds of breakfast cake that were different each day. The house was well secured (Maria lives there also) and had the advantage of being on a dead end street. It was within safe walking distance of a shopping mall where I could get the things that I inevitably forget. You will not get the amenities and service of a large hotel, but you will also not get the price. If you want a safe, inexpensive, clean and restful place to sleep, this is the place for you. Also, the WiFi worked well while I was there.

Room Tip: There are shared bath rooms as well as a room with a private bath. Sharing was not a problem with me...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Stayed there for one night. The place is comfortable but the down side was my bathroom located outside of the bedroom. Breakfast was good with lots of fruits, juices and Maria cooked me some eggs and made me green tea. Maria was very helpful. She helped to find me an excellent driver to take me to the Argentinian side of the Falls. I hope the school nearby didn't have a party and played loud music while I was there. In any case, it was a great first night in Iguasu to be closer to go to the Argentinian side before moving to Hotel Das Cataratas where I spent two nights and be inside of the Park.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We chose Marica's B&B over the hotels in the area because we wanted a more personable experience, and we are glad we did. We were greeted by Roberto at the airport, who was always very nice and helpful. The house is in a very nice residential area, which we liked. It did not bother us that it was not close to town. We were 15 minutes walking distance to the mall. My husband, daughter and I chose the Romantique room, which was perfect for the three of us. It was very nice and clean and had a private bath and deck. We were greeted by Maria, who we found to be accomadating and inviting. She immediately had suggestions for our short 2 day trip to Foz do Iguacu, which we appreciated since the only item on our agenda was the falls on the Brazil side. She recommended the bird park and the Brazil side falls the day we arrived telling us Roberto could take us and pick us up. We were a little skeptical about the bird park, but we actually enjoyed it. The bird park starts off with some beautiful birds in large cages. But it got better as we continued. We saw incredible toucans, macaws, etc in open areas where some of the birds were just feet and sometimes inches away from us. We then walked over to the falls entrance. The Brazil side of the falls were spectacular and beautiful. We spent several hours walking around and then took a short bus to ride to experience a boat that took you down under the falls. Both Maria and Roberto suggested we do this and we were so glad we did. What an experience!! We got SOAKED, but it what a blast! Roberto was promptly there to pick us up. After an exhausting and long day, we did not feel like going out to eat, so Maria suggested a pizza place that delivers. She kindly took care of all the details and the pizza was delicious. Breakfast was delicious consisting of fruit, breads, fresh squeezed juice and scrambled eggs. Maria made a cheese that was similar to ricotta that we loved, especially my daugher. She showed my daughter exactly how she makes it and she can't wait to make her own. The suggestion for the second day was the Argentina side of the falls. Maria told us exactly what we needed to cross the border. Roberto again drove us and he helped with exchanging the exact amount of pesos needed for the park. The Argentina side of the falls were unbelievable, incredible and beautiful. Both sides of the falls are a must, but the Argentina side is truly an experience that should not be missed. After returning, Maria suggested a churrascaria called Bufalo Branco(Brazilian steakhouse). A driver from the restaurant came and got us and took us home. The food is an all you can eat salad bar and meat that is brought to your table hot, and speared on skewers. There is a nice variety of meat and lots of it. The restaurant does not have much personality, as it is a large room with bright, white lights, but we still enjoyed the food and live music. The only negative I have of our stay is we did not know Maria only wanted to be paid in cash. I booked the room online using my credit card to hold it, and assumed we would be putting the charges on the credit card. When we were told it was cash only, we had to make a quick trek to the mall 15 minutes away by foot and get the cash from the ATM. It was a Sunday morning, and we needed to be at the airport in about an hour. I am not sure what we would have done if we had not been that close to a 24 hour ATM. I think it would be much better if that information was understood up front and even put on the website. Overall, this was a great place to stay and we would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family