“Just stay here....”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
River Rock Inn & Bait Shop
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Mishicot, Wisconsin
“Just stay here....”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have never made a review on this site before, but I HAD to today.

I was in town for work. Last minute deal. I arrived in town to find the Chequamegon Inn (Best Western) and AmericInn booked. Off to trusty TA to see what's available.... A bait shop with an "Inn"... Hmmm. I like to fish more than the next guy so why not. I called and the pleasant voice on the phone said they had rooms available. I told her I would be right there. Unfortunately my GPS gave me wrong directions. This place is just west of downtown right along the lake. Anyway, I called her back and she led me right to the front door. The check-in is done inside the very nice and clean bait shop. Different, but I liked it. They have coolers full of beverages (soda, beer, water, etc.) and fresh fish. I received my room key, yes key, no swipe cards here and the room temperature was set to what I requested.

I parked directly in front of my room. Literally 4 steps to my door. I opened the door and all I can say is, WOW. Am I in a hotel, motel, inn or a quaint up north cottage? This is the cleanest, best decorated, hotel room I have EVER been in. The way this place has been updated is unbelievable. The Queen single room has log furniture all around the room, wood laminate flooring, a microwave, a mini-fridge and the BEST TV I have ever seen in a hotel. Full flat screen TV with Dish Network. The best thing it is ALL HD! I am talking about ~ 75 HD channels. The rooms are painted with natural colors well decorated. I enjoyed relaxing a night of TV after a stressful day with a beverage that was very cold in my fridge sitting in the rather comfy recliner.

I am so glad that the other locations were full. This is the best room I have ever stayed in. There is not a breakfast, pool or fitness center, but they were not missed. They do have bicycles for you to use for FREE. They also have a nice little area behind the bait shop with tables and what looked like a nice grill for your use should you choose. Anyone travelling in the area needing a wonderful place to stay that is not your typical roadside motel or chain hotel should stay here. Book now, because they only have maybe 11 rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are off the road and "buffered" by the shop in front. If you are a ligh...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
rrinn, Owner at River Rock Inn & Bait Shop, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and loved the rooms. Are hopes for all our customers is that they feel cozy and comfortable when they are away from home. We hope you will consider us again if you ever have business or just need a get away in the Ashland area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Fenton, Missouri
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We spent 3 nights there in August. The room was good sized with a table and 4 chairs, refrigerator. We were not close to the road, so no problem with road noise. The lake is right across the road from the place. The bed was firmer than I liked. Ice was available only while the bait shop was open. Would stay there again!!!

Room Tip: It is a roadside motel, so rooms away from street will be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank restoys
rrinn, Owner at River Rock Inn & Bait Shop, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. We hope to see you again in the future.
Linn county Iowa
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I made the reservation with trepidation due to the motel name. What a pleasant surprise. This place is a 15 on a 10pt scale. We had the bunk bed room and it was great. Very clean, excellent bathroom and the whole room was squeaky clean. Our stay was 6/28/13. The smoked fish was excellent also!

The value here is far superior to a well known chain motel in Ashland.

Room Tip: book early. Not a lot of rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
rrinn, Owner at River Rock Inn & Bait Shop, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your great review. "Pleasantly Surprised" is what we tell the guests that are a little apprehensive to get them to stay and it usually works and they are happy they decided to stay at a "Baitshop" Hope this review will also help future guests that are apprehensive. We hope you are able to stay with us again in the future.
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Don't judge this place by the name! My husband did, but we were pleasantly surprised! The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and affordable. I loved the wooden floors, and, as one other reviewer said, loved the soap dispensers. The shower was very large and had good water pressure, not like a lot of places you stay. It is located within walking distance of the quaint downtown area which has lots of shopping and restaurants, and if you don't want to walk, the inn has bicycles you can use(not sure if there was a charge or not). There is a nice trail that follows the lake right across the street. Unfortunately, there is also a power plant that has a compost smell coming from it when the wind is just right, but it was minimal. The place is one story, so you don't have to worry about listening to kids running around overhead, which is a major pet peeve of mine! We will definitely be staying here next time we decide to take a trip in the area!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. We do offer use of the bikes to our guests at no additional charge so that they may take advantage of the beautiful views on the bike/walking path. We hope you will visit us again in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We thought staying at an "inn and bait shop" might be an adventure but what's a vacation for. Turns out it is one of the nicest places we have stayed and I've stayed in very expensive hotels around the world including big, well known hotels in Japan and China that my company paid for.
This place was well maintained, clean, nicely decorated (fishing theme, of course) and conveniently located walking distance to good food for breakfast and dinner. When in the area, we will definitely pick this place again.

Room Tip: there are only a handful of rooms so don't even worry about this.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are honored to hear that people rank us up there with some of the best hotels in the world. Hope you can make it back to stay with us again in the future.
Ottawa
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here during our motorcycle ride around the lake. It was a great place to stay. The rooms are a good size and very clean. I loved the decor and homey feel. The bathroom was also a good size, very clean and well stocked with thick towels. The people were very friendly and helped us find a place for dinner within walking distance. There is also a nice bike path/ walking path across the street along the lake. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and some of the area attractions. Hope you can make it back to see us again in the future.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I am an occasional local by marriage. A few times over the years my husband and I have need to get a hotel in town if there is no room at my in-law's house. We have stayed at a few places in town and this one is by far the best and is far and away the best value!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank juliemcallahan
Thank you for the nice review. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 15 in Bayfield

Been to River Rock Inn & Bait Shop? Share your experiences!