“Excellent quality - exceptional”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
River Rock Inn & Bait Shop
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The room was beautiful and clean - excellent. I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed with this hotel. The front desk is truly a bait and tackle store and a very nice one. They sell smoked fish which seems to be very popular. We bought some of the sugar cured smoked trout and were more than 100 miles away, unfortunately, when we realized we should have bought more. I would have bought the whole supply had I tried it before leaving! The service was also excellent. We had called right as they were closing and they arranged for a key pickup and had the room ready (turned on the A/C for us since it had been 95 all day!). At first I thought they were being too particular (worrisome) but I am positive now that they were actually just being super helpful. We were just on the road but the place was nice enough to make me think about staying an extra day.

Room Tip: 2 king bed room with kitchette was large and included a full dining table and easy chair. Excellent...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
rrinn, Owner at River Rock Inn & Bait Shop, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for the great review. Glad you liked the smoked fish..we have many people who do the same thing and do not try it till they get down the road and wish they had bought more. We hope you can visit us again in the future. We always have smoked fish on hand :)

Reviewed July 27, 2013

My mother and I stayed here for an overnight trip in room 7 , the king suite. We had read the reviews and the room did live up to our expectations. The motel is close enough to walk to restaurants (of all kinds), gas stations (though the bait shop does carry simple snacks and drinks), liquor stores, and along the lake. Furthermore it is only about 1/3 mi. from a Big Top shuttle stop near the Deep Water Restaurant. The room has all flooring, no carpet, and the flooring is HEATED! The mini-split airconditioning units work well, as does the ceiling fans on the peaked ceiling. The interior is very clean and gives the impression of being in a cabin rather than motel. Lots of little touches I loved including labels on many of the switches, refrigerator, coffee maker, hd satellite tv, sink, microwave, and for a few bucks more access to cookware and the cook top (cabinets have an inconspicuous lock on them), soap, shampoo, conditioner, and gel dispensers rather than the little bottles. The beds are more firm than soft, I was fine with it! There was only one issue for people like me who are sensitive to tones, if this is you... you would know it. Unfortunately when I walk past power poles I hear the tone, and during my stay here a tone from the outside interrupted my sleep (the highway noise was not an issue at all). The tone truly bothered me. If the air conditioner had been on, or the tv on, or during conversation the tone was not noticeable but in the dead of night it was bothersome to me and will be for others like me. Luckily there is a quick fix....the bathroom fan provided enough white noise to blend the tone, and I resumed my sleep! The following morning I did realize the tone was from a near by plant of some type along the lake.
I would definitely stay here again, but put the bathroom fan on as soon as settled in to bed!

Room Tip: Room 7, had a view of the lake, a king bed, and two windows across from each other making a nice cro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am happy that you were able to find a solution to the buzz noise which I can relate to also. I can know let the other employees know incase future guests have that problem as well. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This place is just cool. Very clean, the rooms have a fun, north-woods theme. There is a fridge and microwave in the room, satellite tv, wi-fi. The bait shop is interesting all by itself, they also have some snacks and cold beer. We had a mix-up where our room was not serviced but they came over and fixed things up right away. They don't do breakfast but have coffee in the office to get you going. We would definitely stay here again over one of the chain motels.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great review. Sorry about the housekeeping mishap and I'm happy to hear it was promptly taken care of. Our goal is to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at the River Rock Inn and Bait Shop on day eight of our 17 day roadtrip. We had spent a long day in Isle Royale National Park and were glad to find such a nice, clean, and quiet place to stay. Our room was spotless. My kids loved having the hand dispensers for soap, shampoo, etc. rather than the usual bars you find in hotels. The room was large and the beds were extremely comfortable. The motel is close to a busy road but we did not hear any noise from our room. My only complaint was that the computer had crashed when I tried to check-in. Therefore, it took some time to get it all squared away. Other than that small mishap, we really enjoyed our stay. I would highly recommend this motel if you are staying in Ashland or passing through. We chose to pass by Duluth due to the Grandma's Marathon. All the rooms in Duluth were booked up. We were glad that we chose to stay here as this was a hidden gem of our trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Roadtripbama

Thank you for your wonderful review. Sorry about the computer crash at check in. Technology is great when it works and a pain when it does not. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 1 night and booked 4 nights for our next visit! Very clean, rustically modern, and a great touch by having wood floors vs no carpet. Beds were comfortable, bathrooms were large and decor was pleasing. The only complaint is the towels lacked absorbency. Need a higher cotton count. Other than that it was great!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Luckypamela
rrinn, Owner at River Rock Inn & Bait Shop, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review. I will mention the towel issue to our linen supplier as we do order the higher cotton count towels. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here numerous times. Great place. Very clean and comfy. Walk to dinner at deep water grill. Highly recommend staying here. You won't be disappointed. Only 11 rooms call ahead for a reservation.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank DW54016

Thank you so much for the great review. We appreciate your loyal business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the Ashland Area.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was on a motorcycle trip from Kansas City and decided to stay here instead of the BW or The 8. I have stayed at both of those places in the past.

The room I had felt like I was in a small cabin instead of a motel room. Everything was clean and bright. It was very pleasant.

There are two reason I did not give this place an excellent rating. I was there Monday, Memorial Day, and in my opinion the room was over priced for the size of the room. I asked if the room had a view of the lake. I was told not a very good one because of the (bait shop/office) building. I asked if I could have another room and was told "No" because I had a single. I could understand that if the place was close to being booked but it looked like there were only about 3 rooms taken.

That being said, I will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ajayhawkfan
rrinn, Owner at River Rock Inn & Bait Shop, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for your nice review. Hope you will consider staying with us again in the future and hopefully next time we can accommodate you with a different room that has a better view.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Second Wind Country Inn
Second Wind Country Inn
#1 of 4 in Ashland

Been to River Rock Inn & Bait Shop? Share your experiences!